Nuts May Reduce Risk Of Death From Any Cause

Unfortunately, peanut butter didn’t have the same protective effects as nuts proper, possibly because it sometimes includes added oils (including trans fats), salts, and sugars.

could this be because a lot of people eat PB, people with unhealthy diets, as well as people with healthy diet, but people with more healthy diets eat more actual peanuts, along with more nuts in general?

Is it correlation, rather than causation? Which they didn't mention as a possibility in the article.

I bet they'd find the people who bought Runner's World were generally fitter, and better mortality stats than people who didn't buy it. Which obviously means that everyone should buy it. :p

could this be because a lot of people eat PB, people with unhealthy diets, as well as people with healthy diet, but people with more healthy diets eat more actual peanuts, along with more nuts in general?

Is it correlation, rather than causation? Which they didn't mention as a possibility in the article.

No, I think it's because many brands of peanut butter sold in the U.S. have tons of sugar, fillers, and other unhealthy junk added. And the unhealthy junk offsets the benefits of the peanuts. Personally I buy "all natural" PB. Nothing but peanuts.

Reactions: ledboots
I really doubt that the junk in some PB exactly offsets the good the peanuts in the PB do.

I think it's just correlation.

why is there no American Peanut Council wiki page?

Is it big enough that it should have one?

*obligatory dese nutz joke*

Maybe peanut butter doesn't count because peanuts aren't actually nuts?

Edit: actually read the article, and peanuts count. bring on the boiled peanuts!

I do think it's probably a case of correlation. Nuts are considered a healthy snack, so people who eat a handful of nuts instead of a packet of chips are probably making healthier choices over all.

Last edited:
the original paper is heavy going on jargon, but reading the 'discussion' section:

Relationship of tree nut, peanut and peanut butter intake with total and cause-specific mortality: a cohort study and meta-analysis

I couldn't see any discussion about the possible correlation between eating more nuts, and making more healthy food, and lifestyle choices. Maybe I didn't understand what they were saying(they did mention alcohol though).

And as I said...eating peanut butter is more common in society, I would think, and people who eat unhealthily will eat it as much as people who eat healthily.

and yes peanuts don`t count.

the op study said that peanuts do count, but that peanut butter didn't; which is a dead giveaway....nearly everyone eats PB, the 40stone man, and healthy people, but it is probably the more healthy who eat more whole nuts.

Hmmm, I wonder if natural peanut butter was included. If it's just ground nuts, then that could be beneficial.

Reactions: ledboots
Boiled peanuts always fascinated me and I finally got to try them at a stop at South of the Border. They were awful. Tasted rancid. I expected them to taste similar to any other nut after they've been soaked like almonds or cashews ( tasting like peanut, of course) but they were definitely "off". Is that possible or do they develop a different flavor after they've been boiled?