Not enough calories

donsabi

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
To maintain my weight according to the experts I needs about 1800 calories a day. I was trying to lose weight and cut it to 1200 calories per day. I found that I was fatigued and did not have the energy to perform my daily tasks. I compromised at 1500 calories per day and felt better but did not lose any weight.

Now that I am attempting to go vegan I find that it is very difficult to eat 1500 calories per day. It is evening and I have eaten dinner and feel very full and yet I have only consumed about 1200 calories.

I am limited on my food intake because of my food restrictions. I try to follow a low FODMAP diet. I avoid foods high in tyramines and high histamine because these foods tend to trigger my afib. I also have had issues in the past of having problems digesting beans in general and high fiber grains. I am starting to think that with my food restrictions I may not be able to go full vegan. Perhaps the best I can do is to go ovo-vegetarian or pescetarian. Regardless I do plan to cut out the grass fed beef I was eating. I stopped eating pork some time ago.

I do see the benefits of going vegan, but at my age and with my food restrictions it may not be viable for me.

Forgive me if any of my advice doesn't fit the low FODMAP diet. I am not familiar with it, but I am sure there are substitutions you can make with foods that do fit, if my advice doesn't.

It's possible and probably better for you to go vegan as it might help with some of those health issues in the long run. There are plenty of vegan foods that are higher in calories if calories are what you're worried about. Oils, salad dressings, some vegan desserts and other foods can quickly give you more calories.

My suggestion, add a big smoothie to your diet on a daily basis. You can pack in 2-3 bananas, a few other fruits, flax seeds, chia seeds, lots of greens, almond milk and more. If you add in a smoothie, you will feel full fast, but you will feel hungry an hour or so later, so maybe before lunch or dinner. It will take time to adjust to it, but you can get 400 - 500 calories in one smoothie if you do it right.

I would also suggest foods, such as olives and avocados. Here's a good list of high calorie vegan foods: http://www.vegan-weight-loss.com/high-calorie-foods.html

My wife follows a low FODMAP diet, and I am vegan. We have come up with some meals that work for both of us, but she has some higher FODMAP foods that she can eat. What foods do you stay away from? Are there any higher FODMAP foods that you can have?

hopeful,

I have two FODMAPS lists on my fridge. FODMAPS to avoid and FODMAPS that are safe. I find that I can eat some on the avoid list and cannot eat some on the safe list.

I have had issues with foods like avocados in the past. Most recently I tried flax seeds and found they give me digestive issues. I tried almond milk, homemade, and coconut milk and both resulted in digestive upset. I find I can use rice milk. I am slowly learning my way.