Norwegians continue to struggle with avocados

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A video with Sophie Elise, a Norwegian blogger and pop musician who incidentally looks like a human-sized barbie doll, trying to cut an avocado. Enjoy. (No English subtitles, but you can sort of imagine what they're saying ...)

For an introduction to Norwegians and their problems with avocados, see this news article from 2011 which says the A&E in Oslo receives at least one patient per week with avocado-related injuries.
Avokadoskader skaper legevaktrush (in Norwegian, 5. January 2011)

Reactions: KLS52
Well, if they're trying to cut open and slice avocados before they're completely ripe, of course they're going to have problems. ;)

Well, if they're trying to cut open and slice avocados before they're completely ripe, of course they're going to have problems. ;)
Avocado ripeness and quality is a major problem, presumably because the avocados are shipped huge distances, so are expected to ripen on the way. Avocados also sometimes sit around in the fruit & vegetable aisles for ages. And consumers of course lack the skill to distinguish between good and bad quality avocados.

So silly. Plenty of people can prepare avocados without hurting themselves at all. Or am I just biased because I grew up in Los Angeles?

I remember reading about New World foods taken back to Europe, and some people struggled with potatoes because they were SO unknown and no cooking instructions were provided. They'd be eaten raw because nobody knew that you have to cook them for a certain time period.

So silly. Plenty of people can prepare avocados without hurting themselves at all. Or am I just biased because I grew up in Los Angeles?
I'm a Midwesterner, and have never been injured by an avocado, even though I rate above average on the klutziness/stupidity scale.

Interesting. I don't think I would have ever thought to slice an avocado around its side; I always thought you'd slice it lengthwise. But I cringed a bit when she threw out so much of the flesh which was still clinging to the pit- avocado is expensive here, and I suppose it's even more expensive in Norway since it probably has to get shipped farther.

That’s what I was wondering...if the one Sophie was cutting was ripe enough.

I only take off enough of the skin for the amount of avocado I’m using. I leave the rest intact with the pit so it stays fresher.

If I’m using the whole avocado I do slice it sideways. I’ve never cut myself cutting one...so far.

Reactions: Val
I slice avocados in half lengthwise (into two long halves), then pull the two halves apart using a slight twist. I pull the skin back from the flesh - no flesh left on the skin, no wastage. If I'm not using the whole avocado, I leave the pit in the half I'm not using.

Reactions: Val and Amy SF
I usually cut it in halves (lengthwise), and then half each of the halves (also lengthwise). At that point, peeling off the skin is usually straightforward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
Eeeeh...:sigh: If only i liked avocados...:p I could join your discussion then...:shrug:
I hate avocados as much as they hate me :hurl:
Only food that makes me sick. I do however know how to prep one :p