Normal amount of hairs after drying with towel?

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When you dry your hair and body with a towel in the shower, what is the approximate number of hairs that you usually see on the shower floor after you've finished drying?

Nutritional deficiency can cause hair loss, iron is key, consider a supplement or injections. You also need essential amino acids, supplement or protein powder are handy.

Hair goes through cycles of growth, dormancy and shed.
Stress and diet change are big factors in hair loss.
Unless you're really restricting foods it's unlikely you're protein deficient. Aim for beans, legumes, nuts, seeds and a wide range of whole grains and veggies daily
Iron should be checked--in the US you can just go give blood and they'll tell you your level.
Are you eating a wide range of whole plant foods? Maybe track your diet a while. You can get all your needs other than B12 and maybe D with foods

About 6 to 10

OK, and that's when you're not losing hair, right? Because after finishing drying I've noticed that I've been seeing around 25 to 30 hairs, so I presume that means that my male pattern baldness is progressing. It's hard to tell in other ways from looking at my hairline everyday. Sometimes there is an obvious change from day to day but sometimes I can't tell.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Nutritional deficiency can cause hair loss, iron is key, consider a supplement or injections. You also need essential amino acids, supplement or protein powder are handy.

While my iron levels are at the lower end of the recommended healthy range (53 ug/L), I don't think an iron deficiency is causing my problem because my iron levels now slightly higher as what they were around 1 and a half years ago when I wasn't losing hair (42 ug/L). The only thing that appears to have changed is my omega 3 levels as my HDL levels were only 0.8 mmol/L the last time I checked around 4 weeks ago when they were around 1 mmol/L one-and-a-half years ago and 0.9 mmol/L one year ago, and I've been told by doctors that low HDL levels can be indicative of an omega 3 deficiency. (They don't have a direct test for omega 3 where I am).

Also I apparently have subclinical hypothyroidism as my level was at 4.74 when the recommended range is between 0.4 and 4. I understand that this can cause male pattern baldness as well, but I don't really understand why I would nearly have hypothyroidism all of a sudden. Could this be because of not consuming enough sodium?

Last edited:
It could also be due to your genes.

A cure for baldness is one step closer after scientists found two genes that dramatically increase the chance of hair loss in men,” the Daily Express reported. It said that tests in over 1,125 men have revealed that men who have two genetic variants are seven times more likely to lose their hair. The newspaper reports that around 14% of men carry both genetic variants, a third of men suffer from baldness by the age of 45, and 80% of cases are thought to be caused by genetic factors.

Hair needs protein, gluten/seiten is low in lysine, so beans are good with gluten sausage or soy milk.

It could also be due to your genes.

Yes, I understand that you need the genetic susceptibility to have male pattern baldness but my understanding is that the gene is only expressed when their is some type of environmental trigger. My male pattern baldness started around the start of 2018 but then it seemed to completely stop for around 1 year and a few months, and then it started again in March this year, and it is progressing at a very fast rate. If it managed to stop for a year and a few months then I was thinking that perhaps there was something I was doing at that time that caused it to stop but I can't figure out what it is.

Yes, I understand that you need the genetic susceptibility to have male pattern baldness but my understanding is that the gene is only expressed when their is some type of environmental trigger. My male pattern baldness started around the start of 2018 but then it seemed to completely stop for around 1 year and a few months, and then it started again in March this year, and it is progressing at a very fast rate. If it managed to stop for a year and a few months then I was thinking that perhaps there was something I was doing at that time that caused it to stop but I can't figure out what it is.

Have you consulted a dermatologist ?