New Zealand Proposes Ban On Cats

I think it probably makes sense, at least in principle. It's undeniable that a cat can kill a large number of smaller animals: birds, rodents, small reptiles, insects and so forth. If any of these are protected species, or they are needed in the food chain for protected species, then it does seem to make sense to ban cats from the area.

This is just a particular region of NZ, and the article says people who currently owns a cat will be able to continue to have that cat provided it's neutered, microchipped and registered. They won't be able to get new cats, however.

Actually, I support the ban, in the location where it is and as IS stated, it's not going in and grab your cat, its just certain requirements and at the end of your cat's life, you can't replace it.

We have a major problem with cats desecrating native bird life down here.

Some new subdivisions (not many ) that back on to native bush have an exclusion of cat ownership in regard purchase.

We had a political party in last years election that wanted to ban cats, the guy running it seem to hate cats, I didn't support that, well I don't vote anyway :)

Maybe if they did the SANE thing and kept their cats indoors 24/7, they wouldn’t have a problem with cats decimating wildlife. Why are non-Americans so insistent on letting their cats roam around outside? It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other, letting cats outside or not having cats at all. We Americans have found that MANY cats actually prefer staying indoors all the time, as long as they get a window and a perch to look outside, and lots of enrichment activities to keep them busy. And there’s also the solution of building a catio, so cats can still be outside but not have direct access to wildlife, or anything else that can endanger their lives.

I think it probably makes sense, at least in principle. It's undeniable that a cat can kill a large number of smaller animals: birds, rodents, small reptiles, insects and so forth. If any of these are protected species, or they are needed in the food chain for protected species, then it does seem to make sense to ban cats from the area.

This is just a particular region of NZ, and the article says people who currently owns a cat will be able to continue to have that cat provided it's neutered, microchipped and registered. They won't be able to get new cats, however.

Actually, I support the ban, in the location where it is and as IS stated, it's not going in and grab your cat, its just certain requirements and at the end of your cat's life, you can't replace it.

We have a major problem with cats desecrating native bird life down here.

Some new subdivisions (not many ) that back on to native bush have an exclusion of cat ownership in regard purchase.

We had a political party in last years election that wanted to ban cats, the guy running it seem to hate cats, I didn't support that, well I don't vote anyway :)

Ok, so another perspective on the subject. I’m always open to hearing all sides of an issue. I may use some of your points of view on a Facebook post. It may open up the discussion so that it’s not just a bunch of angry people commenting who love cats.

Reactions: Blues
Disease run rampant in feral cats! I had to treat a dozen cats when the one foster was let out of the foster room. He showed no signs of giardia until then- about 3 months later! Its such a nasty parasite causing bad diarrhoea And had fosters die of FIP and another on treatment for it and deer ticks and mange, and attacks from other animals more suited to the wild.

Yes. Why not ban breeding and promote rescue with mandatory spay/neuter and indoor only?
Was it NZ or AU that

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid, many decades ago, we always had cats that went outdoors. My impression was - and to some part still is - that cats that are locked up in a small home are poor, as they have little to do, especially if their humans are working all day.

On the other hand, it was always a very gruesome fact of life that the day would come where you call for your kitty in the evening and nobody answers. Of course, most of the time, the cat would come back an hour later, or the next day, or you would go outside and check every shed, garage, storage room where the cat might have got herself locked in to finally find her. But then there were the days where the one day would become two or three until finally somebody who knows you would approach you and tell you that they had seen a dead cat by the side of the road or railway tracks some distance away, you would go there and pick up the dead body of your beloved kitty to give her a decent burial :sob:.

Unfortunately, this was a « fact of life » too with cats, so I am now very much aware it makes more sense to keep cats indoor if you decide to have them as companions.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, many decades ago, we always had cats that went outdoors. My impression was - and to some part still is - that cats that are locked up in a small home are poor, as they have little to do, especially if their humans are working all day.

On the other hand, it was always a very gruesome fact of life that the day would come where you call for your kitty in the evening and nobody answers. Of course, most of the time, the cat would come back an hour later, or the next day, or you would go outside and check every shed, garage, storage room where the cat might have got herself locked in to finally find her. But then there were the days where the one day would become two or three until finally somebody who knows you would approach you and tell you that they had seen a dead cat by the side of the road or railway tracks some distance away, you would go there and oick up the dead body of your beloved kitty to give her a decent burial :sob:.

Unfortunately, this was a « fact of life » too with cats, so I am now very much aware it makes more sense to keep cats indoor if you decide to have them as companions.

This is pretty much how it was for me growing up, too. I know cats can live happy lives being strictly indoors, and my four do not go outside. But generally speaking, I believe cats are happier when they are allowed to roam free. Sure, there might be exceptions.

I have a hard time keeping mine entertained. They are overly dependent in their need for attention from me. I’m aging, I work hard, and I’m tired and I know there are days when I’m breaking their hearts because I just don’t have an ounce of energy left to run around the house with them. It would be great if I could open the back door and let them out for a few hours.

I’m working on hubby to build a catio on our top deck but it’s not likely to happen.

I do not eat meat and fortunately for me I don't need to eat meat. Cats are obligate carnivores. Meat is the only option for them. When I say meat I include fish and other variants. And when I say cats I include tigers, panthers etc. I think it is cruel to keep cats indoors. Their whole nature is predicated on freedom. It is imho worse than slavery to keep cats indoors. Even a slave can go outside. It is also nonsense to protect the tiger and condemn " domestic" cats to a lifetime of prison. Who gave us human animals the right to decide which species shall be allowed to thrive and which must die. We don't own animals in the same sense that we own a car.
We humans are rapidly approaching the end of our domination of the earth.The UN has published a document which says that we have 12 years in which to radically change our way of life. I think that it is very unlikely that we will make the necessary changes which would protect us from the ravages of climate which are of our own making. Whether we protect the tiger or protect the cat will make precious little difference in the long run. It is arrogant to assume that we can act like the irresponsible gods that we appear to want to be. It is also futile and way beyond our power.

Have I mentioned yet that our new animal companion, "Alaska", who we adopted from a friend as an ostensibly lifelong indoors cat, has convinced us all in less than two months that she should actually be considered as an outdoors cat?
What can you do if the kitty is sitting all day in front of the window and meows at everybody passing by?

Of course, ten minutes after you have let her outside, she will be back, wanting to get inside again ... then, another 10 minutes later ... well, likely you know the drill...

But she is much more balanced and seems happier now that we let her out every afternoon, and all day long on the weekends.

8A372C08-42EC-4B0E-BDBA-4B9A66844725.jpeg

4F0EBBF7-912D-486B-BB54-1C5350A74B79.jpeg

Right now I am researching what kind of band I could get for her with a bell or similar that is not dangerous to her but makes her less of a danger to small animals....

F0E91911-1AFB-4E91-9558-8FFC61B3DB5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I do not eat meat and fortunately for me I don't need to eat meat. Cats are obligate carnivores. Meat is the only option for them. When I say meat I include fish and other variants. And when I say cats I include tigers, panthers etc. I think it is cruel to keep cats indoors. Their whole nature is predicated on freedom. It is imho worse than slavery to keep cats indoors. Even a slave can go outside. It is also nonsense to protect the tiger and condemn " domestic" cats to a lifetime of prison. Who gave us human animals the right to decide which species shall be allowed to thrive and which must die. We don't own animals in the same sense that we own a car.
We humans are rapidly approaching the end of our domination of the earth.The UN has published a document which says that we have 12 years in which to radically change our way of life. I think that it is very unlikely that we will make the necessary changes which would protect us from the ravages of climate which are of our own making. Whether we protect the tiger or protect the cat will make precious little difference in the long run. It is arrogant to assume that we can act like the irresponsible gods that we appear to want to be. It is also futile and way beyond our power.

Domestic cats are just that, domesticated. They’re intended to be our companions. We feed them proper meals, so they don’t HAVE to go outside to hunt. They can’t survive outside the way their big cat relatives do. And if you keep a big cat as a pet, you shouldn’t, because they’re too wild. I had three cats and they were happier being strictly indoor cats their whole lives. Indoor cats live longer and are generally healthier than outdoor cats. I wouldn’t shove a cat outdoors to go roaming unsupervised anymore than I would to a human child.

I agree, Amy. We always make sure to properly feed our cat before we allow her to go outside. And so far she was happy to roam our garden and the adjacent forest belt leading to a park, so when we call for her, she is typically not far away.
Does not mean, however, that she then agrees with coming inside again, but she would typically at least come to the door and see what is up...

Domestic cats are just that, domesticated. They’re intended to be our companions. We feed them proper meals, so they don’t HAVE to go outside to hunt. They can’t survive outside the way their big cat relatives do. And if you keep a big cat as a pet, you shouldn’t, because they’re too wild. I had three cats and they were happier being strictly indoor cats their whole lives. Indoor cats live longer and are generally healthier than outdoor cats. I wouldn’t shove a cat outdoors to go roaming unsupervised anymore than I would to a human child.
Just as black cats are indisputably black, so domesticated cats are indisputably domesticated. This does not mean that it is natural for them to be domesticated or that all cats are domesticated. Like all animals they adapt to their environment or die/become extinct when their environment changes. Most cat owners recognise that their pets are far more independent than, for example, dogs. My son in Derbyshire UK has a cat and 2 dogs. The dogs tolerate the cat but they rarely (if ever) share living space. The cat spends a lot of time outdoors and comes in to eat and sleep. It shows little interest in my son's family except when being fed. The dogs spend all their time interacting with the family when they can. Where I live in Spain all cats are feral. I see cats in our community garden but only at night. They feed on food remains from the hospital nearby and catch other wild animals to eat.

In our neighbourhood we have a huge cat population that has grown steadily over the years. They are lucky that they get fed by a couple of people on a daily basis. One person spends over 200 € per month of cat food.

The council has also done it's best to sterilise the majority of them. Nevertheless the population seems to still be growing steadily. When they are ill nothing much can be done and there have been a few of them that have been killed by speeding cars. They most probably do not live until a ripe old age.

The opinion of residents varies ; some think that they are extremely happy living outside and others ( like myself) feel that they need shelter,a safe environment and a loving family.
Unfortunately many people are hostile towards them and blame them for everything ; excrements in gardens, torn fences, unpleasant odours etc.
The lady that feeds them is often called foul names by people that drive by. Another one has had people throwing vegetable scrapings at her.

There's a young (2 yrs) male cat that visits my yard. He belongs to a neighbor behind me. His name is Mack and he's beautiful. About 6 months ago, his owner decided he wasn't happy being an indoor cat and let him become an indoor/outdoor pet. As some of you know, I love to feed birds, squirrels and chipmunks. When I saw him in my yard a few weeks back I was very surprised as we have a 6 foot tall privacy fence surrounding the whole backyard. I let the dogs chase him and he scaled that fence very easily. I hope they are a deterrent to his returning, but if I see him again, he's going to get hosed! :argh:

PS - I'm one of those who loves animals, but who doesn't think we (human beings) deserve to have pets. I actually support spaying and neutering all "pets" to the point that they "disappear" and we no longer have domesticated animals living with us. Since most pets are fed other animals, it just doesn't make any sense to me that we should keep animal eaters for basically what amounts to our pleasure, when we're opposed to eating animals. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy_T
PS - I'm one of those who loves animals, but who doesn't think we (human beings) deserve to have pets. I actually support spaying and neutering all "pets" to the point that they "disappear" and we no longer have domesticated animals living with us. Since most pets are fed other animals, it just doesn't make any sense to me that we should keep animal eaters for basically what amounts to our pleasure, when we're opposed to eating animals. o_O

Completely logical but the heart says otherwise. I am no longer a pet mum only a godmother but I still yearn to have
a dog.

Completely logical but the heart says otherwise. I am no longer a pet mum only a godmother but I still yearn to have
a dog.
Many animals do not eat other animals, so there is no reason to deny yourself and your potential animal companion the benefits of a symbiotic relationship. My mainly vegan dogs had a real treat today in Main Street, Gibraltar, when 2 Scottish ladies decided to give them the larger part of their plate of fish and chips. One of the ladies found a bone in her fish - Bless! - and could not eat the rest. Outside Morrisons supermarket in the cafe area we watched pigeons feasting on a plate of food that was left by another customer. G took a photo of the pigeons but I don't know how to post that. We are a wasteful breed, beagles and pigeons are not!!!