New York

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
My collegue, her husband and 2 teenage youngsters are off to New York at the end of the month for a 2 week stay. Does anyone have any useful information or tips for visiting interesting places, areas, restaurants besides all the usual tourist stuff ?

I have recommended that they go to Woodbury Common for a shopping spree and eat cheescake at Junior's. That is all that I can think of as I'm not too familiar with the Big Apple.

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/our_restaurants/times_square/

:thanks:

Pizza everywhere is fantastic (for nonvegans), and yummy falafel and Italian ices from pushcart vendors. Bagels are like nowhere else, so good.

The Macy's flagship store is amazing, but the museums are my thing when I go to nyc. The museum of natural history is a treasure, as are the guggenheim and museum of modern art. The main ny public library branch is fantastic, and sitting on the outside steps eating falafel and watching street performers there is really fun (and free, aside from the falafel.)

I heart NY. :D

Reactions: Dedalus and PTree15
Pizza everywhere is fantastic (for nonvegans), and yummy falafel and Italian ices from pushcart vendors. Bagels are like nowhere else, so good.

The Macy's flagship store is amazing, but the museums are my thing when I go to nyc. The museum of natural history is a treasure, as are the guggenheim and museum of modern art. The main ny public library branch is fantastic, and sitting on the outside steps eating falafel and watching street performers there is really fun (and free, aside from the falafel.)

I heart NY. :D

What is the flagship store ? Is it a different Macy's ? I'll send her the list of museums. They are omnis so will be looking for typical meat restaurants.

:thanks:

Last edited:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374417773368.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374417773368.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
When I've gone to New York City, it's usually been classical-music-related: the New York Philharmonic, a few operas at the Met (when my Mom was still alive)... but even if you're into that type of music, I don't think the orchestra or the opera house have anything going on during the summer. At least, the concerts I've seen have been from Autumn through Spring.

I've been to a few other events too though- the Metropolitan Museum of History and Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the South Street Seaport museum....

Reactions: Dedalus and PTree15
^^^ Gah- I forgot... on one of my jaunts, we took the Circle Line around Manhattan, which goes by the Statue of Liberty. I haven't been inside the Statue of Liberty or on the island it stands on yet, though.

I have copied and pasted your responses and forwarded them to her.

stock-photo-small-pencil-writing-thanks-word-d-illustration-80435173.jpg

At Cristmastime they hire artists to do displays in their windows, and it is amazing.
I love visiting Macy's at Christmas! They have decorated trees everywhere in the store as well. Such a fun place to go at the holidays.

ETA: Oh, and I second the museum jaunts. If you can, also visit the U.S.S. Intrepid carrier, where there is display of the shuttle among the planes on display. You get to walk through parts of the ship as well. It's a very cool thing.
http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Reactions: ledboots
Here is a great vegan restaurant on the Upper West Side.

http://www.candlecafe.com/west/index.html

The UWS in general is an excellent Manhattan neighborhood. But admittedly I'm a little biased. :)

Thanks but they are into steak restaurants. :D

?
I love visiting Macy's at Christmas! They have decorated trees everywhere in the store as well. Such a fun place to go at the holidays.

ETA: Oh, and I second the museum jaunts. If you can, also visit the U.S.S. Intrepid carrier, where there is display of the shuttle among the planes on display. You get to walk through parts of the ship as well. It's a very cool thing.
[URL='http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/[/quote']http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/[/URL]

:up:

Thanks but they are into steak restaurants. :D

?

o_O Before I was vegan - Smith & Wollensky.

If they like Italian: Carmines is highly recommended.

Want to visit a very cool gourmet food store? Zabar's - at 81st Street and Broadway. I used to work there, and my co-workers are hands down the best co-workers ever. We all are still like family and that was over 10 years ago.

No trip to NYC should take place without several visits to Central Park. Arguably the greatest inner-city park in the world. Strawberry Fields, Bethesda Fountain, the Great Lawn, the Carousel, Shakespeare Garden, Belvadere Castle, (my wife and I were married there), endless paths and trails to explore. Have a look at the calendar to see what events may be going on - there is always something interesting; puppet shows, entertainers / musicians, outdoor theatre performances, etc. Both the Metropolitan Museum of Art (East side) and the Natural History Museum (West side) bookend the park's borders.

I would consider the Hayden Planitareum when at the Natural History Museum.

The Cloisters are a beautiful and well-kept secret.

There is also The Museum of Sex. not to be missed.

The South Street Seaport in lower Manhattan is a great spot as well - right next to the Brooklyn Bridge; a wealth of shops, restaurants, bars, etc - you won't be lacking something to do.

And of course the ever amazing cultural phenomenon - MOMA - (Metropolitan Museum of of Modern Art.) One of my Mother's most favorite places.

Hit the D train to Coney Island for a carnivale' esque atmosphere.

The taxis are fine to get around but don't be afraid to utlize the NYC Subway! It's safe, easy to learn, cheap, and a lot of fun if you've never experienced it before. Depending on how long you're staying, I recommend buying a MetroCard - with the 7 day unlimited ride option.

They don't call it the greatest city in the world for nothing. It is.

fabulous. I don't know whether it's not too late as she is already off work. I have e mailed her your suggestions. Tx a million. :up:

Last edited:
Mr. Poppy and I visited the 9/11 Memorial this past Friday. I can't tell you how moving the whole space is. The two fountains out front made me cry. Well, a lot of things made me cry, but in a cathartic kind of way. That day changed everything.