New year resolutions?

Really where are the stop smoking, stop drinking, stop gambling?
I'm never going to stop drinking alcohol! My brother said he is doing Dry January last time I saw him. I will ask him if he still is going to do it when I see him tomorrow. January is such a depressing month to do a challenge like that. :laughing:

I don't smoke or gamble, well, I do play the lottery now. I only started that a couple of months ago.

I'm never going to stop drinking alcohol! My brother said he is doing Dry January last time I saw him. I will ask him if he still is going to do it when I see him tomorrow. January is such a depressing month to do a challenge like that. :laughing:

I don't smoke or gamble, well, I do play the lottery now. I only started that a couple of months ago.
I only drink or get lotto tickets at this time of year. I bought 3 $2 instant and won $12, so bought 6 of the same ones. I got $2.
Now I'm thinking, what if I buy 3 tickets a week?
Years ago I won like $185 total by cashing in the 3 tickets I was gifted and buying tickets with winnings. I mean it was a total fluke, but i'd so love to win enough to pay something off!

I've never won anything. Maybe it's part sour grapes but now I like the expression that lotto tickets are the tax the government applies for being stupid.
:p

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
I did win £30 the first time I played the National Lottery the other month. Probably the first and last time I will ever win anything on there!

• Friendly
I've never won anything. Maybe it's part sour grapes but now I like the expression that lotto tickets are the tax the government applies for being stupid.
:p
that's true, but it's also true when you have no other way of getting ahead, and see a glimmer of hope...many take it. If that money won't get you ahead of your bills it doesn't matter. Same with why poor people buy alcohol when their lights are going to be out.

I'm grateful I'm not there, but I've been close

Then of course there are the gamblers--who are now being courted by legal and well promoted sites every day now! That should be a crime (like it was)

that's true, but it's also true when you have no other way of getting ahead, and see a glimmer of hope...many take it. If that money won't get you ahead of your bills it doesn't matter. Same with why poor people buy alcohol when their lights are going to be out.

I'm grateful I'm not there, but I've been close

Then of course there are the gamblers--who are now being courted by legal and well promoted sites every day now! That should be a crime (like it was)
it don't know. it might be worse when the government has advertisements and has made available the purchase of lotto tickets almost everywhere.

Here in California they tell people that the profits go to education but schools get such a little slice of the pie.

• Friendly
The National Lottery over here raises £30 million per week to spend on good causes which I think is positive. I don't know what it is in the US in comparison. I don't know what made me start playing it, actually. I think we spend about £32 a month on it now. Well, we don't have any debt and we haven't had a mortgage for over 5 years and I waste a lot more money on other things.

• Friendly
The US said the lotto would go towards public schools, but here every one is still petitioning home owners for higher taxes! Hasn't changed a bit.
@Lou --I was mostly referring to the new sports gambling. Don't know when they made betting legal, but I've been seeing commercials for betting sites on tv a lot!
Oh, and now you can play the lottery on your phone!

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
The National Lottery over here raises £30 million per week to spend on good causes which I think is positive. I don't know what it is in the US in comparison. I don't know what made me start playing it, actually. I think we spend about £32 a month on it now. Well, we don't have any debt and we haven't had a mortgage for over 5 years and I waste a lot more money on other things.
With compound interest that will be over 2000 pounds in 5 years.

We have one thing that is super popular with a really big payout. One mathematician claims that statistically you are more likely to get killed in a car crash driving to get your ticket.

Well, now I really need to add 'eat better' to my list cause my total cholesterol came at 245 😳
I was at 160 the year I really went all wfpb, no oil nor sugar. Other years as mostly vegan were just around 200. I knew I was wrong...

Wonder now how bad if I animal products :scream:

I see it as a harmless "vice" for us with the lottery as I'm 47 and looking to be retired soon. I might stop it in 2024 if we do.🤩

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I'd like to expand the rat playpen so it has a basement level. I added an upper level to it a few days ago.
I want to get into drinking more tea. My bf made some cinnamon tea and I LOVED it. But he's taking his kettle to his office, he said he'd eventually get one for the house but I'm not sure I want to wait thaaat long. If I wait on him to get it, I'll prob be waiting months.
Finish that Zelda game I got last year, lol.
Organize my clothes
Get rid of all the trash in the house, all the cardboard boxes, crap we don't need.
See how far I get in One Piece. I'd say finish it, but I don't think that's possible in one year, haha. I'm on 223/1088. I started end of September.

Last edited:
I'd like to expand the rat playpen so it has a basement level. I added an upper level to it a few days ago.
I want to get into drinking more tea. My bf made some cinnamon tea and I LOVED it. But he's taking his kettle to his office, he said he'd eventually get one for the house but I'm not sure I want to wait thaaat long. If I wait on him to get it, I'll prob be waiting months.
Finish that Zelda game I got last year, lol.
Organize my clothes
Get rid of all the trash in the house, all the cardboard boxes, crap we don't need.
See how far I get in One Piece. I'd say finish it, but I don't think that's possible in one year, haha. I'm on 223/1088. I started end of September.
you know you don't HAVE to use a kettle to make tea?

Reactions: HappyRoxy