New vegan sleep problems

Atheris

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been vegan for 3 weeks now and was vegetarian before that. This may be completely unrelated but I've been sleeping really poorly since I transitioned - waking up a lot, suddenly bolting upright. Nothing else in my life has really changed. Has any one else found this? I thought it might be worth asking!

Also I've found I've been thirsty a lot more, drinking a lot more (and consequently..peeing a lot more!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks v much!

Being thirsty really depends on how much salt you're eating and how much activity you're doing. Do you eat a lot of sugar? I mean actual cane sugar and not sugar from fruit. It can disrupt sleep. You might just be having bad dreams and don't realize it. When I have really bad night terrors I will bolt upright even if I don't really remember what it was about after I get up.

The sudden bolting upright sounds more like a stress reaction than a dietary consequence. I'm no doctor but I can't see how eating anything could cause this reaction. The thirst could just be your body trying to flush out the toxins from your previous diet. Maybe?

Are you
Hi all!

I've been vegan for 3 weeks now and was vegetarian before that. This may be completely unrelated but I've been sleeping really poorly since I transitioned - waking up a lot, suddenly bolting upright. Nothing else in my life has really changed. Has any one else found this? I thought it might be worth asking!

Also I've found I've been thirsty a lot more, drinking a lot more (and consequently..peeing a lot more!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks v much!
Are you really tired when you go to bed? I try to walk at least 5 miles every day. The last hour before going to bed I stop all work , avoid TV, the phone and the computer and have a drink of camomile tea and listen to some music. There are special relaxation techniques that help. Some of the literature on mindfulness is good too. Hope that helps.
On the rare occasions when I wake up too early I make a cup of normal tea and read a good book for half an hour. Am I allowed to point out that sex is also a very good relaxant!?

I realized that when I went vegan I had more coffee. I dont know why, I just needed it. But then I also had sleeping problems, so I changed coffee for some fruit tea

I realized that when I went vegan I had more coffee. I dont know why, I just needed it. But then I also had sleeping problems, so I changed coffee for some fruit tea
I only have 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day but I like very strong coffee. The rest of the time I drink tea or water. I can drink strong coffee immediately before going to bed and I sleep fine. I realise that we are not all the same. On the odd occasion when I don't sleep well it's usually because I start thinking when I lie down - it can be thinking about something nice or something bad, the result is the same.