New Tofu Hack

beforewisdom

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I discovered this late last night when I wanted a snack, but had nothing else. I didn't want to use oil and I am not yet part of the air fryer generation. So, I did an experiment. I cut up my firm tofu into thin slices ( about half a centimeter or a little less ). I put the slices on a plate, and the plate into the microwave for 5 minutes. The microwave evaporated most of the water and golden-browned a large amount of the surface of the tofu. "Fried" tofu without the oil. A meaty texture without pressing the tofu first. 5 minutes, no work other than slicing. It isn't high cuisine, but not bad when you are stuck without other options.

I will try it.
but here is my favorite.
Take 1/4 lb of extra or super firm tofu, cut into 3/4 " cubes
place in bowl and add soy sauce and grated ginger.
Yum.

There of dozens of variations of this. some use green onion, some use teriyaki sauce. or warm it.

I drain the water, cube it, sprinkle on Braggs and eat.
The last Chinese fried tofu I had reminded me how much I hate chewy , meaty, tofu

That has never done much for me.

I have a TofuXPress tofu press that works very well and gets me the texture I want without all of the extra steps freezing entails.

I freeze mine just so that I can keep it longer.
and I buy super firm most of the time cause I don't want to buy a tofu press.

Mostly I put tofu in my stir fry. but I also like to bake it and have it as apps or salad.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I hate it after freezing :down:

When my kids were little I would slice regular tofu and lightly saute, then sprinkle with powdered sugar. They loved it! I've always been surprised that wasn't a 'thing'

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
That is exactly the way I like tofu.

More for me.
I like it this way as well, but I also don't mind it less chewy. It depends on the dish I'm making. I have found that freezing it first and then draining and pressing it makes for a nice chewy texture.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
I always microwave my tofu. 😊 Mostly because I’m lazy. 😁

I will try it.
but here is my favorite.
Take 1/4 lb of extra or super firm tofu, cut into 3/4 " cubes
place in bowl and add soy sauce and grated ginger.
Yum.

There of dozens of variations of this. some use green onion, some use teriyaki sauce. or warm it.
I apologize I'm 2 years too late answering this, but I totally concur!

One of my fondest food memories (and I'm a real foodie, so that has weight) was dicing up tofu and frying it in the wok with just those things, Teriyaki, soy sauce, peanut oil, salt & pepper, and chopped walnuts and (almonds?). The way the flavors blended into the tofu, and how the nuts gave it a nutty flavor, complementing those, was heaven! I would do it again this minute, except I have no wok. Oh, and food. I also have no food! 😄

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC