US New items at Trader Joe's

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
At little bit off-topic, but I've recently switched back to good ol' soy milk (unsweetened) from my standard almond milk. Since I've found myself making oatmeal a lot more lately, and I mostly use it for that, it seems like adding soy milk is a better idea than to add more oats (in milk form) to my oatmeal, or more almonds, for that matter, since I already put almonds on my oatmeal. I feels like I'm adding a completely different nutritional element to my oatmeal to add soy milk...

I only buy soy milk. for my coffee and when I drink it plain I use the vanilla flavored. so since that is what I usually have open that is what goes into my oatmeal too. But I sometimes have a plain open, for cooking with, and in that case, that is my first choice for oatmeal.

but I want to try the oat milk. I hear its even better for coffee and oatmeal.

Not sure what the nutritional info on oat milk is but the thing I like about soy milk is that it has much more protein than almond milk.

I only buy soy milk. for my coffee and when I drink it plain I use the vanilla flavored. so since that is what I usually have open that is what goes into my oatmeal too. But I sometimes have a plain open, for cooking with, and in that case, that is my first choice for oatmeal.

but I want to try the oat milk. I hear its even better for coffee and oatmeal.

Not sure what the nutritional info on oat milk is but the thing I like about soy milk is that it has much more protein than almond milk.
I was about to point that out. I think you are correct.

Trader Joe's oat beverage has 2 g of protein per serving. 110 calories
TJ's unsweetened soy beverage has 9 g of protein. 90 calories
TJ's unsweetened almond beverage has 1 gram of protein and just 40 calories.

I wonder why they went with the "beverage" instead of milk. This may be something recent cause I thought the labels were for soy milk but I just checked my frig and it has "non-dairy soy beverage" on the label.

the vanilla-flavored non-dairy soy beverage in my frig is also just 90 calories but has only 7 g of protein. I know the vanilla flavored has more sugar - but it doesn't have more calories - but has less protein. curious.

Reactions: KLS52
Trader Joe's oat beverage has 2 g of protein per serving. 110 calories
TJ's unsweetened soy beverage has 9 g of protein. 90 calories
TJ's unsweetened almond beverage has 1 gram of protein and just 40 calories.

I wonder why they went with the "beverage" instead of milk. This may be something recent cause I thought the labels were for soy milk but I just checked my frig and it has "non-dairy soy beverage" on the label.

the vanilla-flavored non-dairy soy beverage in my frig is also just 90 calories but has only 7 g of protein. I know the vanilla flavored has more sugar - but it doesn't have more calories - but has less protein. curious.
Some states have passed legislation that only dairy milk can use the wird "milk" in labelling, so that's probably why they're using "beverage" instead.

Those laws of course ignore the fact that people have always referred to the liquid inside coconuts as "milk", the sap of milkweed as "milk" ( not to mention the name of the plant itself), etc.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
TJ's used to have a coconut flavored ice cream that was simply divine. I still miss it.

For those who aren't aware: TJ has house brand marshmallows that are vegetarian/vegan. They're only sold seasonally.

I was never a big marshmallow fan, but after not having any for thirty odd years, I'm happy to be able to eat some a couple of times a year.

Reactions: Amy SF and PTree15
Some states have passed legislation that only dairy milk can use the wird "milk" in labelling, so that's probably why they're using "beverage" instead.

Those laws of course ignore the fact that people have always referred to the liquid inside coconuts as "milk", the sap of milkweed as "milk" ( not to mention the name of the plant itself), etc.

Yeah we have discussed that before here.

I hadn't noticed TJ doing that tho. They still use the word soy milk in places.

Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Mischief
They still have a chocolate-flavored coconut milk nondairy frozen dessert.
Yes, it's pretty good. But I would choose that coconut flavor one hands down, even though I'm a chocolate freak.

My sister and I both think that TJ's vanilla ice cream is the best vanilla around. I like to eat it with chocolate syrup and lots of peanuts.

Reactions: Lou
My omni son prefers vegan marshmallows over regular marshmallows. I find it so annoying because if I don’t hide some, he eats them all! I only use them for baking, Rice Krispies treats, sweet potatoes or hot chocolate. I don’t fancy eating them as is.

My omni son prefers vegan marshmallows over regular marshmallows. I find it so annoying because if I don’t hide some, he eats them all! I only use them for baking, Rice Krispies treats, sweet potatoes or hot chocolate. I don’t fancy eating them as is.
You know, my sister and I were talking about this just the other day - we both thought the TJ marshmallows were a lot better than we remembered marshmallows being, but we weren't sure, after so many years, whether we were liking them better because they had been forbidden fruit for so long.

So they are better!

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I've got the TJ vanilla soy creamery frozen dessert in my freezer right now.
I like it with bananas and/or strawberries.

I've almost given up on finding a chocolate syrup that is ethically sourced.
Maybe TJ's has one. :)

I also discovered that TJ has brought back non-dairy yogurt. I got vanilla-flavored creamy cashew and an apple and cinnamon flavored coconut milk. They were both good but I thought the apple and cinnamon one was really good.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Mischief
I've got the TJ vanilla soy creamery frozen dessert in my freezer right now.
I like it with bananas and/or strawberries.

I've almost given up on finding a chocolate syrup that is ethically sourced.
Maybe TJ's has one. :)
Do you have vegan chocolate that you like? I usually take some melted chocolate chips and mix in a little soy creamer or coconut milk and make my own chocolate sauce for ice cream. Sometimes I even add a little peanut butter. 😋

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Do you have vegan chocolate that you like? I usually take some melted chocolate chips and mix in a little soy creamer or coconut milk and make my own chocolate sauce for ice cream. Sometimes I even add a little peanut butter. 😋

That's the way I also make mine. Sometimes, I add a few drops of Valencia orange extract or peppermint.

That's the way I also make mine. Sometimes, I add a few drops of Valencia orange extract or peppermint.
That’s sounds good!
Making my own doesn’t taste like the syrup I grew up on...Hershey’s or Bosco...but it’s still really good. :)

OMG! I’ve never seen this! I need it!
7E57999C-1102-461E-9437-E63C9912EA9F.jpeg

Reactions: Lou

I've just made some tofu burgers seasoned with the above. It really does give the tofu an earthy mushroom flavour as described.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou