New Default Avatars

Pickle Juice

Reaction score
I was thinking that we ought to have custom default avatars that are a little more interesting than the ones we already have, that are preset to display if a member doesn't upload a custom image.

Presently we have a question mark for those who have no custom avatar, and have not specified a gender, and we have the male and female symbols for those members who have indicated a gender, but have not uploaded a custom avatar.

So we are now taking suggestions for custom images to replace these. You can create your own if you are artistic, or look for something on the web that isn't copyrighted. Once we get enough submissions we'll have a vote. We'll want submissions for female, male, and unspecified gender.

Have fun and be creative!

In order to avoid sexual stereotypes and images reminiscent of sexual organs, why not choose an animal species where the females and males are easily distinguishable and the juveniles aren't (the image of the juvenile can then be the avatar for those who haven't identified their sex)? Something like this:

doe.jpgstag.pngfawn.jpg

There are any number of species that could be used: lions, a number of bird species (both wild and domestic ones, like chickens), etc. Actually, I kind of like the idea of using chicken pictures - after all, is there a species that is more emblematic of why we have chosen our lifestyles?

hen.jpgrooster.jpgegg.jpg

Reactions: KLS52

Well, whatever we choose, I think it might be a good idea to have more than the three standard answers of: male, female, unknown.
We need stuff that's all-inclusive.

generic avatars have to look like generic avatars, rather than someone's personal avatar.
Alice-Bee's ones look like generic avatars that are part of the forum design.

generic

Reactions: FortyTwo
generic avatars have to look like generic avatars, rather than someone's personal avatar.
Alice-Bee's ones look like generic avatars that are part of the forum design.

generic

As far as I'm concerned a simple picture of a veggie or a VV is generic.

Besides, I've seen all sorts of personal avatars that look pretty generic to me. I don't think we need geneder related avatars. Just a single one.