Nutrition & Diet Need to stop losing weight

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
So, since changing from omni to a vegan diet 9 days ago I've lost 4lb. Doesn't sound like much but I'm now under 9 stone (I'm 5'7 for those interested in my height).
I'm happy the way I am. I always liked being around 9 stone but this is enough. I'm worried I'm going to carry on losing more.
I haven't been exercising this week as I've been so busy. It's not like I am skipping meals.
Typical day:
B - cornflakes with dried apricots and raisins with sweetened soya milk, or toast with peanut butter
L - spaghetti Bol with chunky veg sauce
D - two slices whole meal pitta bread with hummus
Snacks - packet of wheat crunchies, a pear, homemade chocolate fudge

I don't think I can physically eat anymore. I'm always full lol. I also drink about 3-4 cups of tea with 2 sugars.

Bare in mind that my diet beforehand was atrocious. I would eat hardly anything and when I did it was crap and cheese...cheese on everything, every meal every day. So I can see maybe why I'm losing weight, I just don't want it to be too much!

Any advice? Xxx

You're still in the healthy weight range, so I wouldn't worry about it! A transition to veganism usually leads to some appetite and weight changes, it should normalise. Maybe add up your calories using a website (or just note down the rough calorie contents of things) to make sure you're getting enough; 1800-2200 for a normal lifestyle to maintain weight. But it sounds like you're eating right.

It may also be just a natural fluctuation - you'll naturally swing 1-2 lb in either direction without it being actual loss/gain, if that makes sense.

Unless your weight loss is due to some underlying medical condition, I think you fine. Your body is just adjusting to the diet.

But if you really want to gain or maintain weight, then in all seriouness, drink beer. Usually 1 beer per day is sufficient for women.

Drinking alcohol is not a healthy way to gain or maintain weight. Its like saying 'eat more pies'.

fadey-Monkey nuts...peanuts in a two chambered shell.

So, since changing from omni to a vegan diet 9 days ago I've lost 4lb.
Typical day:

B - cornflakes with dried apricots and raisins with sweetened soya milk, or toast with peanut butter
wholegrain flakes or pinhead oatmeal, with nuts, fresh and dried fruit. Unsweetened non dairy milk. Plus a slice of granary bread.
L - spaghetti Bol with chunky veg sauce -
wholewheat or spelt pasta or brown rice with fresh vegetables. Fresh fruit or yogurt.

D - two slices whole meal pitta bread with hummus

lentil soup or mixed salad. Tofu or bean burger with vegetables, potatoes, rice or wholewheat pasta. Fruit and yogurt for dessert.

Snacks - packet of wheat crunchies, a pear, homemade chocolate fudge

skip the crunchies and chocolate fudge. Eat either nuts, fruit or a banana peanut butter smoothie or a yogurt with nuts.

Any advice? Xxx

I think that you're eating too much processed food and sugar which may be cutting your appetite. You need more wholefoods, fresh fruit and vegetables.

Moderation is fine I just feel uneasy at advice been given relating to alocohol when diet is concerned. My hang up I guess.

Lots of Pie is fine...my favourite flavour is pie flavour.

I think that you're eating too much processed food and sugar which may be cutting your appetite. You need more wholefoods, fresh fruit and vegetables.

I found that post a bit odd shyvas, CCL is not going to like the same things as you! Her meals sounded fine to me without your suggestions, they would not even go near the max daily sugar or fat recommendations. Swapping one healthy meal for another won't make much difference.

I would agree that wholemeal/wholewheat carbs will keep you fuller for longer, if you like them. Personally I just can't adjust to brown rice or brown pasta.

EDIT: Since Aery pointed out I said the opposite to what I meant..

It's my experience that processed foods don't fill you up for as long as whole foods. Same with sugar, you crash and then start craving more snack foods. Anyway CCL is hardly living on a junk food diet, I doubt that cutting out the few processed items is going to help at all.

I would focus on incorporating more healthy fats into the diet. Sprinkle nuts on cereal, have some sliced avocado with the pitta bread and hummus, dip the pear in peanut butter... but this is if you continue to lose weight. I agree with Aery that this probably doesn't indicate a trend of you losing a few lbs every month, there will be small fluctuations but it will stablise before it gets unhealthy.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
It is helpful to see that nobody thinks my diet looks outrageously wrong or anything like that.
I was hoping to find some 'healthy' fatty foods that won't fill me up too much - which is where I've been trying with snacking on nuts. I find that once I have attempted my 5 a day of fruit and veg, and found a source of protein for the day, put some carbs with it to actually make it into a meal, I don't have much room left and was wondering if I was doing something wrong.
Perhaps I just need to stretch my stomach because I didn't used to eat very much...example of old diet:
B - toast and processed cheese slice or skipped breakfast or had a kit kat
L - cheese and marmite sandwich, choc bar, crisps
D - pizza or mac and cheese etc
I can see why I am losing weight...I am eating much healthier...I just don't want it to get too far. I was also hoping for the reassurance that this happens a lot at first but will plateau out xxx

You're probably losing weight because the cheese is gone, it's something like 60% fat depending on variety.

Avocados are very fatty but it's good fats. Coconut is very fatty too, if you can make sauces with coconut (korma for example) or sauces with peanuts (satay) for your meals, that will help.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
I think it will even out. Once you get used to the diet perhaps you will feel hungrier seeing as you're not filling up on fatty cheese etc. It's still early days really; your body hasn't had time to get used to the new diet changes & I think you will balance out in the end! :) Keep up with the healthy options though...you will feel great. If you don't already.

Reactions: Lord Snot
I'm sure you'll soon notice other, positive changes soon from giving up all that cheese. A lot of people find their skin improves and they don't get so many coughs, since dairy is terrible for creating mucus.

I was already feeling great even in the first week...may have been psychological though, but it doesn't really matter. I know that I am eating healthier now than I ever have done. I was worried to start exercising again if I'm losing weight too fast but maybe burning the calories will make me hungrier and it will even out.
Thanks for all your help and encouragement xxx