Need support and guidance

gnamee

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
hi i’m new here. i usually never do this.. but it is really bothering me and i feel like i need support.. my family are all omnivores so i feel alone most of the time. i am almost 19 and haven’t eaten meat in probably almost 5 years and became vegan a year ago. i am vegan for the ethical reason.. i love animals so much. i have been so diligent and strict with checking labels and have been so good with not consuming anything. then i had bought candy thinking they were a plant based and vegan candy company. there one pack of candy was labeled plant based and it was vegan. they said on their website they were a plant based company and all for it.. so i appreciated that and just assumed all of their products were vegan. well i had purchased another one of their candies cause i liked the first product and i had eaten two little bags of these gummies after coming to find out there was pork-based gelatin in these gummies! i wanted to cry.. i was so upset. now i can’t get it out of my head and just wish that wasn’t in my body. i’m just sad and feel bad :( wish i could take it back

Reactions: LB21
welcome to the forum

congrats on your life decisions - you are free to forgive yourself and move ahead, we all make mistakes in all areas of our lives and if we beat ourselves up each time then it would be a sad existence - you've learned an important lesson and your actions were not intentional...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
There used to be a website for Vegan confessions. We may even have a confessions thread here at the VF.

They say confession is good for the soul.

One guy here suggested that you give a donation to an animal sanctuary or something like that. No one is perfect and it can drive you crazy in the trying.

:welcome: I agree with the other comments. Just forgive yourself for the mistake and move on. It is impossible to be a "perfect vegan."

There used to be a website for Vegan confessions. We may even have a confessions thread here at the VF.

One guy here suggested that you give a donation to an animal sanctuary or something like that. No one is perfect and it can drive you crazy in the trying.

thank you for the suggestions :) i am beating myself up about it but i also keep telling myself to just be more conscious and do better everyday.. for the animals.

welcome to the forum

congrats on your life decisions - you are free to forgive yourself and move ahead, we all make mistakes in all areas of our lives and if we beat ourselves up each time then it would be a sad existence - you've learned an important lesson and your actions were not intentional...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
thank you for replying :) it does feel good to be surrounded by a vegan community when you feel so alone. glad i found this forum.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Hi guys! I am new to this forum and so glad I found it😊 I just recently changed my diet to plant based (4 months ago). Number one reason was because I wanted to live healthier after reading so much about the negative impact of meat and animal products on the body. I enjoy being vegan and it seemed a good choice but now I am questioning if this was a good choice. I am healthy and 38 years old. About two weeks ago I woke up with a lump on my thyroid. All my blood tests came back normal. The next step is a ultrasound which I will do July 3rd. I am a little concern that my vegan diet caused this. I read about iodine deficiency and that this can cause goiter. It did say that vegan and vegetarian are high risk to develop iodine deficiency. Anyway, not sure what caused it. But I need encouragement!!! Anyone experienced similar issues when they started their plant based diet? Any evidence based research that vegan is the best way to go? Thanks so much for your feedback and encouragement.

hi i’m new here. i usually never do this.. but it is really bothering me and i feel like i need support.. my family are all omnivores so i feel alone most of the time. i am almost 19 and haven’t eaten meat in probably almost 5 years and became vegan a year ago. i am vegan for the ethical reason.. i love animals so much. i have been so diligent and strict with checking labels and have been so good with not consuming anything. then i had bought candy thinking they were a plant based and vegan candy company. there one pack of candy was labeled plant based and it was vegan. they said on their website they were a plant based company and all for it.. so i appreciated that and just assumed all of their products were vegan. well i had purchased another one of their candies cause i liked the first product and i had eaten two little bags of these gummies after coming to find out there was pork-based gelatin in these gummies! i wanted to cry.. i was so upset. now i can’t get it out of my head and just wish that wasn’t in my body. i’m just sad and feel bad :( wish i could take it back
First of all, I think you are an amazing person gnamee!! You are so young and you are already on the right path! I wish I had become vegan when I was younger. I can relate to your problem of feeling alone most of the time because your family are omnivores. I feel alone all the time too, especially at my job, where all anyone talks about is the meat they ate over the weekend, the meat they're having for dinner that night, and the meat they're planning to have the next weekend. All anyone talks about is food! Try not to beat yourself up about the gummies. Your intentions were good, and the gummies are long gone out of your system by now. Keep up your efforts, gnamee, and best of luck to you!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
my family are all omnivores so i feel alone most of the time.
You need to create a new vegan family... you cannot allow yourself to be emotionally dependent on sociopaths... I get that's easier said than done, seems like there's no community whatsoever and the strangers on the internet dont appear to be very interested in changing that... podcasts are a good thing to help in terms of intellectual development

You need to create a new vegan family... you cannot allow yourself to be emotionally dependent on sociopaths... I get that's easier said than done, seems like there's no community whatsoever and the strangers on the internet dont appear to be very interested in changing that... podcasts are a good thing to help in terms of intellectual development

I love podcasts, they accompany on my walks or when doing chores.
Another thing is YouTube videos. I sometimes learn a new recipe while watching Rose or Sara in the kitchen.

We have whole threads devoted you YouTubers and Podcasters. So there is not shortage of recommendations.

Favorite YouTube Vegan

Reactions: Emma JC
I love podcasts, they accompany on my walks or when doing chores.
I use to listen to Gary Franciones podcast but he stopped creating more content... I really only have a few now, our hen house is mandatory obviously

Do you have any that are philosophically oriented?

hey telepathic mind rape is a thing
gang stalking is also a thing
the government lies about the nature of reality
I've written an activism booklet
unfortunately I dont have any money to help
and there's no real community in the vegan population
so keeping your family
its like a nihilistic self preservation thing

I use to listen to Gary Franciones podcast but he stopped creating more content... I really only have a few now, our hen house is mandatory obviously

Do you have any that are philosophically oriented?
Not only philosophy but always thought provoking is Intelligence ²