If a natural disaster is caused, or even just made worse, by human-induced climate change, can the disaster really be said to be a natural disaster? Is it not a man-made disaster? That's what I want to know.

If a natural disaster is caused, or even just made worse, by human-induced climate change, can the disaster really be said to be a natural disaster? Is it not a man-made disaster? That's what I want to know.
I don't think the definition will change that quickly. LOL

It's true, some so-called "wildfires" are started by humans... well, the initial blaze. Other factors are at play, though... hot, dry weather, drought, & high winds can turn a spark into a raging inferno. And many times that spark is caused by lightning.

I agree that human interference/negligence (fracking, pollution, carbon emissions) has exacerbated the catastrophic potential of certain natural disasters... but to say we actually cause them is a slight stretch. For instance, earthquakes have always occurred... but with all of our fracking, we've made them a dead certainty.

And speaking of fracking... Oklahoma’s fracking-induced earthquakes are not going to stop

Last night, Jer & I were discussing the fact that Michigan is essentially a semi-dried-out swampland.... all this fracking going on here, we're gonna see what this region really used to be like, and it ain't gonna fun for anyone. :no:

Last edited: