National Vegetarian Week 18-24 May

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
This coming week is the National Vegetarian Week in the UK. I remember when this started as it helped me learn more about vegetarianism and also had lots of recipes and booklets that you can pick up or they can send to you.

http://www.nationalvegetarianweek.org/#

There are events all around the country and the Vegetarian Society will be touring with the cookery school to show people how easy it is to cook. Usually supermarkets will also promote this and have special on vegetarian food, so it's a good time to stock up.

I read about this this morning. I have to say I have not heard any advertising about it. Perhaps there will be something in our local supermarket at the end of the week. It is disappointing how few cities (and note cities only, those of us living rural haven't a hope) that are being visited.

18 May – Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland Street South
19 May – Glasgow, Sauchiehall Street
20 May – Belfast, SS Nomadic, Titanic Quarter
21 May – Liverpool, Church Street
22 May – Leicester, Humberstone Gate West
23 May – Reading, Broad Street
24 May – Cardiff, Working Street

And all they are offering is a slice of pizza! It is such a shame they could not have come up with something more interesting, different, novel or even just well something other than pizza.

It's about budgets and the society doesn't have a large one. I imagine pizza was chosen as a practicality, easy to eat, easy for people to adapt to and they don't need to provide utensils (which are very expensive). Also the aim is to convert people, so for people to eat a slice of pizza and then think they had a vegetarian dish is a step in the right direction.

The PR is not loud and they could do more, but that's why they rely on local groups to do their own activities.