My transitioning trouble

Hi all,

Thank you for the comments and advices again, it helps a lot!

I had a smoothie yesterday for dinner, with celery, spinach, banana, blueberries. It was not much tasty, but it was OK, I had some white flour bread with it, because I was really hungry. I was happy to have this one vegan day and am looking forward to more of them :).

Strange Other - I am really looking forward to getting used to this; it should be much more simple. I have skipped the lunch at work yesterday; they only had meals with meat. It is the same today. Tomorrow they have one meal with an egg instead of the meat. So I plan to continue boycotting them. I had my beans instead of the restaurant lunch, so that I am not too hungry.

In general, I do not mind not eating for a part of the day so much as I would expect. I never have time to eat breakfast anyways, so recently, I just don't. I was hungry for about a first month. But then my stomach got used to it. I just have some green tea if I am feeling a bit hungry before noon and I feel OK. I usually get most of my calories in the evening, when I strongly tend to be lazy, just watch TV and eat anything I find (which is a LOT). Chips, chocolate, bread with salty cheese, etc ... ugh. I am not sure that I will able to change this bad habit. I plan to snack on my healthy ice-cream instead of the normal one, that will hopefully help to at least eat what is vegan and healthy instead of the usual junk food.

I did not like tofu at first try at all. It tasted like gum. But now I do not mind even the un-spiced, unmarinated tofu. If I am hungry, I will eat anything and enjoy it :). Thank you for the Tofu video, I will surely try it. My biggest regret now is that my family does not approve. I need to learn to cook at least a few great vegan meals. For me, and especially for them.

I am from Czech republic. Not many vegans here, not many vegan choices in the grocery stores unfortunately. I know that it is much better in Italy for example (was there on vacation). One of my colleagues is a raw-foodist. He mostly eats grains. I had a great chat with him.

Kellyr - thank you for the links. I have not had time to look into them properly and cook something. I should have time to cook at least one food on the weekend, looking forward to it! I think I will try the one which you recommended, it looks tasty.

Thank you also for the "Oh She Glows" book recommendation, I will try something from the web first, hopefully my meat-eating-boys will like it.

Veganite - thank you for the Brie recipe. I have never hear of any mochi. Not could I find any available in a any web shop in my country. But I will try to look for it in an Asian market when I get there. They have loots of stuf I do not know.

veganDreama - thank you. I was looking for sandwich filler which I could just simply buy here, prepared to use immediately if possible. I like avocado. Mostly I need to let if ripen after I buy it. But sometimes they do sell it ripe here, which is nice. For peanut butter I need to go to a specific grocery, or order it online. Peanut butter without sugar (or palm oil etc) is not commonly available here, regrettably. Hummus is available in about half of the grocery shops i guess. I definitely should make my own hummus as soon as possible.

Chamae

There is a lot you can do with bread. For example:
- Add all sort of veggies and pepper.
- Olive oil and veggies.
- White beans with crushed tomatoes.
- Beanutbutter and banana.
- Mushed banana and strawberries.
- Fried mushrooms and garlic.
- Avocado and salt.
- Pesto (not always vegan so have to read the label).

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am hungry, I will eat anything and enjoy it :).

Personal experience; something choosing vvhat I have access to of food and keeping me hungry to force me to enjoy the food.

I started out vvith not eating one kind of animal at a time (barbaric in retrospect, thanks for reminding me). Then I progressed to not using items (leather) and then not medicaments (this one aint easy, things for skin etc.) and has been distancing myself indirectly since (decreasing usage of infrastructure and things like that).

Thank you also for the "Oh She Glows" book recommendation, I will try something from the web first, hopefully my meat-eating-boys will like it.
Butternut squash and black bean burritos. Hovv I used to love that. It vvas so good.

Rather than it happens than that it does not. The vvorld made room for me even if I spent extra on transport lines etc; manifests better later. Indirectly the consumption is also decreased massively - its not only about the direct intake.

I much enjoy having become empathically connected to much more of earth; its really healing for a damaged drugmind after years of psychiatric and background abuse. Also one gains distance from the exploitation circles, thus naturally becoming safer from such. And the vvork I do today has actual value; the vvork I can do the same - this to a point of being exploited, sadly. Its not all meaningless; though that started some years before I vvent vegan.

--

Failed on bread today; not even glutenfree, though I am much progressing in direction of ravv vvhole foods entirely. Also failed on roasted peanuts recently, added salts.

I really enjoy this meal:
Humus + nuts from store + chili and then eating that vvith a carrot or celery - vvhole, no need for plates or akin. Real tasty.

(failed thoroughly on ecology and transport lines and fair trade after I vvas manipulated into a "leaving, heading to spain, then returning").

Also the bell pepper; filled vvith like hemp protein povvder, glutenfree flour, nuts, peanutbutter, ravv chocolate nibs etc. (all local/fairly produced/eco) (pre mentioned manipulation).

I though have hard time enjoying even eating after having been exploited and done some things to by psychiatry and generally the vvorld, being backstabbed so massively you vvould not even believe it.
There are many points of integrity, food a tiny part of such..

The quote; I observe something also stating it vvill be happy if you are hungry/lacking food - like through you. Happens sometimes.. At least vve can see that it happens.

A goal; I seek to live in a place vvhere eco and locally produced (obviously also fairly traded) peanuts or cashevvnuts are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Fried mushrooms and garlic.
- Avocado and salt.
- Pesto (not always vegan so have to read the label).

I ended up with oats with banana and bread with peanut butter for todays dinner. I wanted some pesto, that sounds yummy, but I had none. So, more stuff I need to byu: vegan pesto, mushromes and avocado.
I also had some nuts and ice-cream again (dates, banana and mango this time).
I am doing my best to resist the bree-cheese today. Sucessfully, as I am going to bed now. Second day vegan thanks to you guys, yey :).

I started out vvith not eating one kind of animal at a time (barbaric in retrospect, thanks for reminding me). Then I progressed to not using items (leather)

Thank you for the comment. I had not yet givven leather clothing any thought. I guess it is not much important, as I do not like it anyways. I only buy about 1 pair of shoes every few years, no other leather clothing, nor purses etc.

I have actually given up salami about 2 years ago. Maybe that was my slow start, no idea. It was not easy for me, I used to love the taste. I still do unfortunatelly. My husband used to give me a big "winter salami" for christmas each year. But one year, I just asked him to stop this tradition. It was for health reasons. And about two years later, I stoped buying this stuff completelly (no salami and no ham). I do not even buy it for my family (nor does anyone else). They are not too happy about this, but they respect it.

Hi all,

i discovered a vegetarian restaurant nearby the office today.
The food looks like this upload_2018-7-12_15-36-42.png
Most of it is not vegan, but something is. I had lunch there today and it was good :).

Chamae

Hi all,

yesterday i bought lots of legumes and beans, going to cook it today. I also bought some spices and pesto. I forgot the avocado. I am going to make ginger-garlic paste, hummus, curry (with beans and vegies and rice) and chicken palak (i will use tofu instead of the chicken). Sounds good, doesnt it?

The pesto was a bit of an issue. You were correct, not all pesto is vegan. I never new there is cheese in pesto. In all sorts of them! Well, almost. Literally the eigth pesto was vegan (no cheese), so I bouht that one. I had it for dinner, with bread and nutritional yeast + some vegetables. I had oats with fruit after that. And potato chips. And more pesto and bread and vegetables. Than more chips. Some nuts. And my ice-cream. Still eating a lot in the evening.

I sure will try new recepies which you guys have pointed me to. I do not have much time now and new recepies always take me longer, no mather how simple they are. That is why I am planning them for later. I need to start with a few meals I am already familiar with (just change them a bot, so that it is vegan).

Just for fun, I will mention, that I was cooking this one for 2 HOURS:
I have measured it. 2 hours. It is a FIVE MINUTES recipe :). I had no ingredients prepared, needed to cut everything, cooked my chickpeas (did not used caned ones), made my own chopped tomatoes, etc.

Have a great day everyone!
Chamae

Glad you found a veg restaurant nearby. And I bet they'd be willing to omit dairy and eggs in a lot of dishes if you asked.

Pesto is super easy to make yourself. Really all it is is basil, oil, garlic, and pine nuts (or any other nut of your choice.)

You do need a food processor or a high-powered blender to make it, however.

Here's a recipe:

Easy Vegan Pesto

I tend to make my own food more and more. And while yes, at first, it's time-consuming, especially if you're not used to cooking for yourself, after a while, it's quite satisfying and empowering - you get to decide what goes into your food - don't like garlic? Leave it out. Recipe calls for cheese? Leave it out.

It's also ultimately less expensive to make your own food than to purchase pre-made stuff from either restaurants or in the convenience aisles in the grocery store.

One : go vegetarian first to ease into being vegan. That way you can still make simpler meals of fruit, bread and cheese while learning to avoid meat and transitioning to fully vegan.

Two: ethics are a much more powerful guide than a diet for vanity or weight loss. Stay informed. It's easy to avoid animal products when you face what's happening in the world with animal cruelty and the effect on the environment to humans.

Hi all,

I am not a vegan. Not even a vegetarian. It is soooo difficult for me to change.
Most of the stuff I am used to eating, is not vegan. Some is vegan, but unhealthy - so I should not eat that either.

My family does not approve of veganism and I still need to cook for them. Only vegan food they like are oats with fruit. That is a good start i guess, but i need more foods. I would like to try to change. I know there are good reasons for veganism and healthy lifestyle.

Today I have started my day by eating bread and cheese and something sweat after that. No willpower. It was the easy stuff to find and eat in my home. And tasty, which is hard to restist. But trying again. Maybe if I admit my mistakes here, It might motivate me to not do them so often. That is what I am hoping for.

I have never kept any kind of diets, never was able to make myself. I am not overweight, so not much motivation either. Till now.

I am a bit old (40), change is really very difficult for me. I live in a European country, much of the stuff mentioned on the vegan forums on the internet is not simply available here. But I keep reading and looking for tips!

I have not eaten any meat today. I have eaten diary. I have not excercised.

I welcome any tips/or questions from you guys as a big help to motivate myself.

Sincerely
Chamae

Hi Chamae,

Thanks for sharing with us your story. The thing is we all have been where you are - lack of support from close family and friends, restricted availability/access to vegan food sound too familiar.

What I have noticed from the way you wrote your message and the words you used to describe your situation were negative or looked like you were in resistance to embracing a vegan lifestyle. Let me explain.

You said you are not vegan but you want to be.
You said that it is so difficult for you to change.
You said you had no willpower and "gave in" to a cheese sandwich.

These are just a few things I picked up on. Other people have given you tips and tricks to make your transition easier but the truth is without changing your attitude and mindset of eating plant-based, the change will be difficult.

And maybe you currently you don't identify yourself as a vegan, and that's fine but you still probably fit somewhere on the spectrum of the vegan diet. So it's just finding your current identity as someone who is wanting to eat more veg and fewer animal products.

I happened to write something on the topic and it might be relevant to you. If you search for "thepeakind.com" you'll find my vlog and the ebook.

Just remember, little steps - you're on your way!

Vesta

What I have noticed from the way you wrote your message and the words you used to describe your situation were negative or looked like you were in resistance to embracing a vegan lifestyle. Let me explain.

You said you are not vegan but you want to be.
You said that it is so difficult for you to change.
You said you had no willpower and "gave in" to a cheese sandwich.

Hi,

well, maybe you did not notice, but this thread is called "My transitioning trouble". Trouble usually means, that it will not be all rosy and positive ;).

Chamae

Last edited:
Reactions: Vesta
Hi all,

just to let you know how I am doing. I am honestly surprised. I did not expect this much from myself. But somehow your comments helped a LOT. I have not used most of the recepies links yet, but it gave me strength (this might not be the best word, but hopefully you know what I mean). Maybe motivation would describe it better.

I am starting my third mostly-vegan week now :). I had some fish once, and a also bit of plain jogurt (it was an ingredient in an chocolate ice-cream). Apart from those two meals, I am keeping it vegan. It is a huge change compared to how I ate before.

I do have some doubts, so I have scheduled a blood test to make sure, that I am not missing on any improtant nutrient. I am looking forward to knowing for sure. In case something is lacking in the blood, I will do my best to eat more of it. There should be sufficient vegan sources of nearly everything, I have looked into this a bit already.

Thank you all for the great support!
Have a great day
Sincerely,
Chamae

Reactions: Lou
Yay!!

And the blood test serves as a base point. (not sure of the right word). For instance, 6 months from now you might see lower cholesterol and blood sugar. If you don't have that base point you wouldn't know how good you are doing.

If you can't control what yo eat how are you supposed to control other aspects of your life.
You either want to change or not. Its really easy once you take that first big step which is very difficult.

If you can't control what yo eat how are you supposed to control other aspects of your life.
You either want to change or not. Its really easy once you take that first big step which is very difficult.

The opposite is true as well, from anecdotal experience - you can be in control of other things in your life but lack self-control with food.

Reactions: Veganite and Lou

It is not so easy for people with food addictions. If it were that easy all these diet fads and pills wouldn't exist. Obesity and weight loss are complicated psychological issues for many people. While some people can just say "okay, it's time" other people cannot. Beating food addictions can be as complicated and as difficult to treat as heroin addiction.

Reactions: Lou