My Diet

Spang

Foot Fetisher
Reaction score
This is pretty much my daily food intake. I make a meal and eat half of it before work, and the rest of it at work. The soup, vegetable, and "sausage" will vary. I don't always eat burritos after work.

Diet_zps6f4b79d6.png

Clearly, too much sodium.

Please advise.

Lots of salt in packaged food, so that's probably what it is. Mostly that burrito, but if you don't have them all the time it's all good?

I've noticed that I get hungry more frequently since I started lifting.
I am hungrier when I do weights as well. I would throw some nuts (unsalted) in there, either by the handful or in smoothies and such. I prefer walnuts and roasted almonds. I make a peanut butter, banana and chocolate smoothie and sometimes add ground flax seed as well that is pretty filling (unsweetened cocoa for the chocolate). Also, I seem to crave green leafy veggies when I lift, so make a nice big salad with spinach and kale and other greens if you can and throw in nuts and beans and such. Also, if you can, make your own soup, as you can control the salt better. Commercial soups have a crapload of sodium. Try making some veggie chili. It's easy and lasts a while and it has beans. You can also use it in tacos and such.

Seems like you like that Tofurkey Kielbasa (would like to try that one), but the sodium is quite high.
Otherwise, looks healthy to me (which does not say much, I concede)

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to replace burritos with peanut butter sandwiches. Me and bread have had some history, but those were bagels, so I think I'll be okay.

Eventually, I'll replace Amy's canned soups with my own soup concoction--something that I can make once a week and spread out over 10 meals.

You could try making your own burritos and then freezing them, or even just in the fridge if you make a batch on a weekly basis. That way, it'd be way cheaper, you could control better the sodium in them, and you could jazz them up with some veg or salsa or anything else to make them tastier/ more nutritious while still getting your burrito fix.

Reactions: PTree15
I have an idea for a soup. This is a rough draft.

Black beans
Vegetable broth
Corn
Peas
Carrots
Tomatoes
Celery
Onions
Arrowroot

How would you season this, and are there too many different vegetables?

I might try cumin and pepper in that soup. But I am not extremely good at making up recipes on my own so you might want to wait for other advice. I don't think it's too many veggies at all.

I have several soup recipes. If you are interested let me know what you like and I can post them. Or I can list the titles when I'm off work and you can let me know what sounds good. Not that your recipe sounds bad, it actually sounds quite good, but if you want some more variety. They all freeze well if you have room for that. A lot of them are crock pot recipes, not sure if you cook that way. It's the only way I have time to cook from scratch most days. I also have an awesome crock pot refried bean recipe if you want it. One thing about cooking from scratch, much easier to control the sodium.

Last edited:
I have an idea for a soup. This is a rough draft.

Black beans
Vegetable broth
Corn
Peas
Carrots
Tomatoes
Celery
Onions
Arrowroot

How would you season this, and are there too many different vegetables?

That sounds like a good mix of veggies. To make soup delicious, chop up the onions and saute in a little oil first, then when they get soft and kind of clear (a few minutes) add the chopped celery. (If there were garlic in the soup, it would go in now) and saute for another couple minutes and then throw everything else chopped up in. Well, assuming the beans are canned, rinse them first. The vegetable broth and tomatoes will flavor it pretty well.

I will let others give seasoning ideas as I eat my stuff kind of bland. :) If you have leaves on the celery, chop them up and use them, they are great in soup, and any greens you have, like spinach, throw in 15 minutes before it is done (kale may be too strong a flavor) with some arrowroot to thicken the broth.

I have several soup recipes. If you are interested let me know what you like and I can post them.
I'm interested in a thicker soup that I can put over rice, and make a lot of, so I can eat it at least twice a day for a week.

That sounds like a good mix of veggies. To make soup delicious, chop up the onions and saute in a little oil first, then when they get soft and kind of clear (a few minutes) add the chopped celery. (If there were garlic in the soup, it would go in now) and saute for another couple minutes and then throw everything else chopped up in. Well, assuming the beans are canned, rinse them first. The vegetable broth and tomatoes will flavor it pretty well.

I will let others give seasoning ideas as I eat my stuff kind of bland. :) If you have leaves on the celery, chop them up and use them, they are great in soup, and any greens you have, like spinach, throw in 15 minutes before it is done (kale may be too strong a flavor) with some arrowroot to thicken the broth.
I'll definitely add garlic to the mix.

So, I should sauté all the veggies in the order that you mentioned, and then add the liquid?

I'll definitely add garlic to the mix.

So, I should sauté all the veggies in the order that you mentioned, and then add the liquid?
You can just saute the onions and celery, and then the liquid and the other chopped vegs and beans can all go in at the same time and cook together. Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer on low. (Chop the hard veggies like carrots smaller than soft ones like tomatoes to make the cooking times similar. )

I'm interested in a thicker soup that I can put over rice, and make a lot of, so I can eat it at least twice a day for a week.

So this might sound strange, but for a southwestern flavor, which kinda looks like your going for, you could add some bbq sauce. It'd go good over rice.

Also, i put in root veg like carrots, celery, and the like in and add a few tablespoons of water, cover, and steam for 5 mins or so. Then add softer veg with broth. That way, you don't have to worry about your corn and tomatoes turning to mush while waiting for the carrots to finish cooking.