My 16 year old cat

M

Moll Flanders

I was just wondering if people on here could give some insight or advice about what to do with an elderly cat.

My cat is 16 years old, going on 17 years old, and she has had some problems with thyroid problems/ seizures but she seems to be having trouble with her eyesight and maybe hearing now. I've read this is normal after her issues but are there are things I could be doing to make her last days/months/years any better?

She sleeps in a cat carrier with a warm blanket and I have moved furniture around so she is well away from the floor on a high chest of drawers and away from my dogs and other cats.

I brush her daily with a soft brush as she is shedding her fur. I also give her food treats but is there anything else I can do for her?

(She has obviously had vet treatment and advice but I was wondering if anybody had more day to day advice?)

It sounds like you are keping her happy and comfortable. :) I would just make sure she still has a good appetite and isn't in pain.

Thanks.x :)I was just worried that I maybe could be doing something else for her to make her comfortable. I have been giving her normal wet food mixed with some of the dry cat food I buy, she is a bit fussy about her food, so I was thinking of getting her a bag of senior food just for her.

Reactions: Scorpius
It sounds like you are keping her happy and comfortable. :) I would just make sure she still has a good appetite and isn't in pain.
I keep trying to think of something else to offer, having dealt with four senior (ages14-19) cats over the last few years but I'm not coming up with much.

I agree with Scorp and I guess just be untuned to any changes in behavior and have her checked out if you notice anything. One of the four seniors developed hyperthyroid and IBD, and two others had CKF.

I'm about to take in the new guy, Chickpea, for a senior panel. He eats like crazy yet is not gaining weight and cries for food every hour. I have to feed him smaller portions frequently or else he vomits...huge watery amounts. I need to make sure there isn't some kind of medication he might need that will help him.

I hope your little girl will be ok for a longer while. Sounds like you are giving her very good care.

Bogart used to walk from room to room and cry/howl at night. In his case he wasn't that old but he was in new surroundings so he may not have been comfortable, especially those first few months.

You are probably right about your cat's hearing. It could be diminished vision, too.

Gizmo is really bad with the meowing too. He used to only do it once in a while, but as he's been getting older it's been increasing. He does it almost whenever I'm out of eyesight now. Certain sounds have really started to bother him too. The sound of silverware clinking against a plate makes him jump as if an airhorn just went off, and if I open a can of cat food next to him, he runs away.

Yes, my cat seems very skittish too, I realised that she seemed very nervous whenever I walked into the room and I think it's because my dog Molly follows me around (obsessively!) so she could hear the dog coming over to her. She seems a bit better now she is sitting higher off the floor.

I think I am going to buy her a new bed that is large enough for cats and small dogs so she has a bit more space. The cat carrier she is in at the moment probably is warmer but it might be obstructing her vision more.

My cat loves her new bed and blanket. I am glad that I bought it for her as I thought she may need more room to stretch out if her joints hurt. I think she also likes that she can see/sense if any of my other cats are approaching her and then she won't get so spooked.

She seems a lot happier and more comfortable.<3

My cat loves her new bed and blanket. I am glad that I bought it for her as I thought she may need more room to stretch out if her joints hurt. I think she also likes that she can see/sense if any of my other cats are approaching her and then she won't get so spooked.

She seems a lot happier and more comfortable.<3
Awesome!! You're a good kitty mom!!! :kitty:

I have to take my cat to our vet this week as she has a problem with her eye. She is getting what looks like a broken blood vessel in her eye at times although sometimes it looks okay. I read that it might be high blood pressure.

Has anybody on here had this issue?

I've never had a cat so can't give you any advice. However, I hope that the vet will be able to take care of her poorly eye. Poor kitty.

It is such a worry when are pets are elderly. I'm so worried about Shyva's paw.

I'm so worried about Shyva's paw.

:hug:

I have an appointment booked for tomorrow morning. I looked online and it looks like she might need to be on medication so I hope it is something that simple and easy to resolve.

:hug:

I have an appointment booked for tomorrow morning. I looked online and it looks like she might need to be on medication so I hope it is something that simple and easy to resolve.

Fingers crossed.

I feel so sorry for our senior pets. However, I also think that they are lucky to live in a home with mums like us.:)

Reactions: ledboots
Cybil had Chronic Renal Failure...there were a few times when her BP was elevated but the subQ fluids took care of that. I hope your kitty's issue is an easy fix. :hug:

:hug: for shyvas, too. I hope Shyvas' paw will be ok.

Last edited:
Cyril had Chronic Renal Failure...there were a few times when her BP was elevated but the subQ fluids took care of that. I hope your kitty's issue is an easy fix. :hug:

Oh yes, I remember you talking about that. Did she need to have any surgery or was it just the fluids?

I had to keep her at the vet to have a heart scan as the vet said her heart murmur is worse. He said her eyesight was quite limited but he wasn't sure if it was related. He is taking her blood pressure too.