Music Music Nerds

Ok, that even trumps the usually cool SW/Porcupine Tree vinyl offerings. Wow, indeed.

Reactions: Dedalus
Any fellow nerds pick up the new Opeth album? I swear to the gods, it sounds like Yes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not yet.

I'm not sure I like it. I wanted an Opeth album. I like the clean vocals, but I failed to hear any metal. I'm not digging the new direction. I'll see what they do next before I give up on them.

I haven't gotten it yet, but I loved Yes back in the day. :) A lot of fans aren't happy with Opeth's softer side. I enjoyed Heritage, but I confess to liking the heavier stuff from them. If I want softer Opeth, I bust out Damnation.

Reactions: Cerebellion
Due to a lack of anywhere else to post this, I'll put it here. It's a mini-diatribe against musical elitists from Ziltoid Radio. It seriously cracked me up.

“So, a little soliloquy towards the audio elitist out there. We all know, yes, that you only listen to complicated music because it’s a direct reflection of your complicated personality. Please, let’s have a long drawn-out discussion as to why your preferences are superior. And while we’re at it, let’s talk about your father. Oh, tell me about your vinyl collection. Allow me to reinforce your thoughts that I am intellectually inferior. Oh yes, the simple beautiful melody that I can dance to and makes the women swoon. Yes. Of course. How could I be so obtuse? It is inferior. You bonehead! Go masturbate to some Philip Glass. You see, in the fourth dimension it’s all about Ockham’s razor; simplicity rings supreme. Your type? Extinct, long ago. But please, tell me where you got those clove cigarettes, you emotionally retarded nerd. I’m sure you got it from a special place behind the counter at that second hand store. I’m sorry!; boutique.
Shall we listen to music together? Oh yes, you only listen to vinyl. Is it some sort of intangible audio quality that the rest of us plebeians can’t understand? Yes. I bet you turn every sexual interaction into some sort of artistic formula. (…)
Anyway, it’s not the fidelity, it’s not the 24/96K - it can be 8-bit as long as the melody is relevant. You need to stop being such a *****.”
— Ziltoid

Reactions: PTree15 and Dedalus
Due to a lack of anywhere else to post this, I'll put it here. It's a mini-diatribe against musical elitists from Ziltoid Radio. It seriously cracked me up.

“So, a little soliloquy towards the audio elitist out there. We all know, yes, that you only listen to complicated music because it’s a direct reflection of your complicated personality. Please, let’s have a long drawn-out discussion as to why your preferences are superior. And while we’re at it, let’s talk about your father. Oh, tell me about your vinyl collection. Allow me to reinforce your thoughts that I am intellectually inferior. Oh yes, the simple beautiful melody that I can dance to and makes the women swoon. Yes. Of course. How could I be so obtuse? It is inferior. You bonehead! Go masturbate to some Philip Glass. You see, in the fourth dimension it’s all about Ockham’s razor; simplicity rings supreme. Your type? Extinct, long ago. But please, tell me where you got those clove cigarettes, you emotionally retarded nerd. I’m sure you got it from a special place behind the counter at that second hand store. I’m sorry!; boutique.
Shall we listen to music together? Oh yes, you only listen to vinyl. Is it some sort of intangible audio quality that the rest of us plebeians can’t understand? Yes. I bet you turn every sexual interaction into some sort of artistic formula. (…)
Anyway, it’s not the fidelity, it’s not the 24/96K - it can be 8-bit as long as the melody is relevant. You need to stop being such a *****.”
— Ziltoid
Lol! When vinyl was king, those same guys were saying how they'd only listen to reel to reel because vinyl was crap. Oh god, and they smoked clove cigs then too. [emoji1]

Reactions: PTree15 and Dedalus
I am geeking out about another new Steven Wilson album coming out in February... Hand.Cannot.Erase. I've gone and ordered the super-duper ridiculously expensive deluxe-it-has-every-format-available-including-stuff-I-don't-have-equipment-to-play version. Because that's how I (sometimes) roll. My plan for saving money isn't getting off to a very good start. :D

You geeking out to a Steven Wilson release? Never...
I haven't really been geeking out so much musically lately. My job combined with the latter seasons have made me long for silence or some good dark ambient music. Like the new Sunn O)))/Scott Walker release.

Reactions: Dedalus and PTree15
I've not heard the new Sunn O)))/Walker release. I believe I have a Sunn O))) CD, but I haven't listened to it in a while. I like Bass Communion (of course, haha) and Oren Ambarchi (whom I learned about from SW's posted playlists).

I'm not heavily into the genre, but it soothes the wounded beast right now. The only other new music I've been listening to is all folk metal stuff. It makes me stupidly happy, plus it's good drinking music.

Something like this:

or

Last edited:
She's a badass for sure. The second one is a guilty pleasure of mine. Korpiklaani is good feel good, drink too much music.

Reactions: PTree15
I hear you on the guilty-pleasure material. I like to bust that stuff out when I want to dance around the house and party it up. :D I find that I like some Latin pop/rock for those times. Something about the beats/rhythm that really perk me up.

I hear you on the guilty-pleasure material. I like to bust that stuff out when I want to dance around the house and party it up. :D I find that I like some Latin pop/rock for those times. Something about the beats/rhythm that really perk me up.
Latin music is very good at that. I've been known to bust out some Gipsy Kings from time to time.

I am geeking out about another new Steven Wilson album coming out in February... Hand.Cannot.Erase. I've gone and ordered the super-duper ridiculously expensive deluxe-it-has-every-format-available-including-stuff-I-don't-have-equipment-to-play version. Because that's how I (sometimes) roll. My plan for saving money isn't getting off to a very good start. :D

You tend to do that, your awesomeness at work. Every purchase like that should come with options for front row seats too, don't ya think? :)

Reactions: PTree15