Music Music Nerds

I can see why. I like her voice and songwriting a lot. I'll check more out soon.
Since one good crush admission deserves another, I have a crush on Cat Power. I feel better for admitting it.

I also have a mild crush on the singer of Screaming Females. Great singer and a badass guitar player.

Time for some musical nerdishness.

In late 1984, a friend and I made our way backstage after a blistering 3-hour performance by Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street band. While there were a crowd of fans clamoring to get a few minutes with The Big Man, Clarence Clemons, I found myself in a quiet corner with a soft-spoken backup singer. We had a short, but sincere conversation. Years later, after he came to his senses, Bruce would ask this same backup singer to marry him. Yes - it was none other than the fantastically talented Patti Scialfa. And look closely at her signature on my program...RAWR
patti.jpg bruce.jpg

Dave Brockie died today. I've always had a guilty pleasure for Gwar. The irreverent sense of humor, great stage show, and insane costumes appealed to me in ways I cannot even describe. The metal world will miss the hell out of him. At least I got to smoke weed with him before he died. Strongest stuff I ever had, it nearly left me catatonic. Rest well, brother.

I've been in a rockabilly and electroswing mood lately. It's funny because it's the complete opposite music to how I've been feeling. I mean, I should be listening to The Cure or My Dying Bride based on the mood, but rockabilly and swing have been hitting it for me. Anyone else get strange urges to listen to something that doesn't reflect your mood at all?

Reactions: PTree15
^^^^ Yes, indeed, Cerebellion. AIC and Jerry Cantrell solo material are often the bands of choice when I'm in a good mood, lol. Degradation Trip Vols. 1 and 2 has to be some of the darkest music/lyrics ever written (in my mind, anyway), and I love putting that on pretty much anytime, lol. That album was once described as "music to slit your wrists to," but I think it helps keep my disposition in tact. :D I just love all the dissonance and darkness about it.

Jerry Cantrell for the reality check? Interesting. I'm kinda like that a little with Mark Lanegan. No matter how shitty of a mood I can be in, he's always seeming to have a worse day. It's nice to think that someone is in there with you. Someone that talented.

Jerry Cantrell for the reality check? Interesting. I'm kinda like that a little with Mark Lanegan. No matter how shitty of a mood I can be in, he's always seeming to have a worse day. It's nice to think that someone is in there with you. Someone that talented.
I know, because even though he can be dark lyrics-wise, there is a bit hope and always a dash of humor there as well. Not completely hopeless. :)
And so true about Mark Lanegan. :)

Weird question for my fellow music nerds: what are your favorite music videos? I'll start with two of my favorite.

Algiers - Afghan Whigs

Machine Gun Blues - Social Distortion

I've never really gotten into music videos (maybe because I predated MTV and all :D), but if I had to pick, I'd say Hush by Tool and Grind by Alice In Chains.

In my personal quest to be VV's nerdiest musical nerd: I bring you - Jack White's latest effort, in which he puts out a vinyl release unlike any that have come before it. Observe:

ULTRA LP FEATURES:
- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

Bolded text = I am so freaking giddy about these.

Check it! http://thirdmanstore.com/featured/jack-white-lazaretto-12-vinyl
To certify my dorkdom - I am purchasing 2 copies - one to be forever sealed. :starshower: