Multi Cooker-Tips & Recipes

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I love Instant Pot, and now it's time to compile recipes, tips and tricks in one place.

I'm going to start with my simple chili, and how I time it without soaked beans, and without over cooking the veggies

I use different beans, and red lentils in a 3:1 ratio of beans and red lentils, with twice the water.
The beans and all the water go in first for 2 minutes of high pressure. Just leave alone for like an hour, the longer it sits, the more they'll soften.
Unlock the lid, add whatever spices you like in chili. I use about 2 Tblsp crushed red pepper, 1 teas liquid smoke, and if lucky enough to have Penzeys chili 3000, a Tblsp. A heaping Tblsp of Better than Boullion no beef or marmite, or whatever broth seasoning you like
Add the red lentils, onions, celery, and if you like other chopped veggies
Cover and set for 5 minutes and let natural release. Add a big can, or little can, of chopped tomatoes

My typical recipe-
1/2 cup red beans
1/2 cup pintos
1/2 cup black beans
4 cups water
2 minutes and rest

1/2 cup red lentils spices and veggies
5 minutes and npr
canned diced tomatoes and chilis

...and I wanted it to come up with tips.
I've found that when making a soup with dried beans grains I can set the cook time to just a minute or two, let sit about an hour, then add all the quicker cooking veggies and only cook another 5 min

This soup I had canned chickpeas, and whole grain farro.

Lemony chickpea farro and spinach

1/2 cup farro, rinsed
4 cups water & no chicken boullion or use veg broth instead
1/2 teasp ground coriander
set to 2 minutes pressure and let npr

Add
can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
chopped celery, onion, carrots, minced garlic
Set for 4 minutes and npr.

add a bag of either fresh spinach chopped, or frozen spinach
I like to add some nooch and lemon at serving

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
...and I wanted it to come up with tips.
I've found that when making a soup with dried beans grains I can set the cook time to just a minute or two, let sit about an hour, then add all the quicker cooking veggies and only cook another 5 min

This soup I had canned chickpeas, and whole grain farro.

Lemony chickpea farro and spinach

1/2 cup farro, rinsed
4 cups water & no chicken boullion or use veg broth instead
1/2 teasp ground coriander
set to 2 minutes pressure and let npr

Add
chopped celery, onion, carrots, minced garlic
Set for 4 minutes and npr.
add a bag of either fresh spinach chopped, or frozen spinach

I like to add some nooch and lemon at serving
I think I want to try that. I've never had farro. Where are the chickpeas in your recipe? I think you forgot them.
Lemony? did you forget the Lemon. or is this a Lemony Snickett recipe. :)

I think I want to try that. I've never had farro. Where are the chickpeas in your recipe? I think you forgot them.
Lemony? did you forget the Lemon. or is this a Lemony Snickett recipe. :)
I did forget them! Thanks.
Farro is sort of in between rice and barley in both taste and texture, I think.

I see the title has been changed from Instant Pot to Multi Cooker
I understand IP is just a brand of electric pressure cooker, but a multi cooker makes me think more of a crock-pot, slow cooker!
I was going to post things that are specific to IP, well, one with yogurt function--like raising bread dough and making yogurt

I see the title has been changed from Instant Pot to Multi Cooker
I understand IP is just a brand of electric pressure cooker, but a multi cooker makes me think more of a crock-pot, slow cooker!
I was going to post things that are specific to IP, well, one with yogurt function--like raising bread dough and making yogurt
Go for it. most of us have IPs.

If you have an Instant Pot with the yogurt function it's perfect for proofing (rising) yeast doughs.
Most sites just say to use the default yogurt feature--but it can be set for either a lower heat, which is like 80 to 90 F. The yogurt setting that comes up is 110 to 115 F. I found the lower setting is just right for bread dough. I either lightly oil the pot , or reuse parchment paper if I have some.
Do not screw on the lid! I did that once and the bread rose and sealed it pretty good, it was hard to get off! I now just use a plate, or plastic to keep the heat in

Here are some tips and tricks.

You can use the handles to hold up the lid out of the way

This tip saves time. turn on the saute function while you do the prep. The IP will be hot enough to pressure cook.