MSG is safe

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
MSG, also know as monosodium glutamate, has a bad reputation here in the West, or at least that is my impression. But apparently, despite several studies, no adverse effects have been established when consumed in customary levels in food.

The Wikipedia entry for MSG has a paragraph about safety with more info:
Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mayo Clinic also has a short article which says it's generally considered safe:
Monosodium glutamate (MSG): Is it harmful? - Mayo Clinic

A lot of foods that are deemed safe can have adverse reactions on some people (peanut allergies, anyone?). That just means that people whom are affected should avoid those foods. For the rest of us, they are safe.

A lot of foods that are deemed safe can have adverse reactions on some people (peanut allergies, anyone?). That just means that people whom are affected should avoid those foods. For the rest of us, they are safe.
Indeed. But while peanut allergy has been objectively established in scientific studies, it seems the evidence for an MSG allergy / reaction is only anecdotal.

I've had a reaction to MSG when I ate at a Chinese veg restaurant in London. My brother and I felt really weird afterwards, like almost having a hangover, we were dizzy, light headed and had a headache. I avoided restaurants like that for a while but I think most of them have toned down or got rid of MSG now.

I am chemically sensitive to lots of things though, medications, toiletries etc... It's a pain in the neck.:rolleyes:

Have you heard of Chinese restaurant syndrome?

In April 1968, Robert Ho Man Kwok wrote a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine, coining the term "Chinese restaurant syndrome". In this letter he claimed:

I have experienced a strange syndrome whenever I have eaten out in a Chinese restaurant, especially one that served northern Chinese food. The syndrome, which usually begins 15 to 20 minutes after I have eaten the first dish, lasts for about two hours, without hangover effect. The most prominent symptoms are numbness at the back of the neck, gradually radiating to both arms and the back, general weakness and palpitations...[8]

The syndrome is often abbreviated as CRS and also became known under the names "Chinese food syndrome" and "monosodium glutamate symptom complex."

Symptoms attributed to the Chinese restaurant syndrome are rather common and unspecific.

Although many people believe that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the cause of these symptoms, an association has never been demonstrated under rigorously controlled conditions, even in studies with people who were convinced that they were sensitive to the compound.[9][10][11] Techniques used to adequately control for experimental bias include a placebo-controlled double-blinded experimental design and the use of capsules to deliver the compound to mask the strong and unique after-taste of glutamates.[9]
Glutamate flavoring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From one of the posted links:

"Researchers acknowledge, though, that a small percentage of people may have short-term reactions to MSG. Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG."

Safe ≠ no side effects

Just because you can't prove it, doesn't make it untrue. I could draw analogies to the recent ongoing debate about vaccinations, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Peanuts and apples trigger migraines in me (occasionally a few other things), but surprisingly, msg doesn't trigger them. I've never had a problem after eating Chinese food, except disappointment when it's all gone.

Reactions: Mischief
Some doctors recommend it for patients trying to reduce their sodium intake, as many people can use less salt with the taste enhancers of MSG.

My daughter and I both get the flush and palpitations after eating foods with msg so we avoid it.

I bought a few bags of MSG to add to my curries. Didn't make the slightest difference to the taste.

I've eaten in veg Chinese restaurants since then but some actually advertise that they are MSG free and I haven't had the reaction again.

I just try and avoid it now as I had a reaction. It's ironic as I'm waiting for a Quorn vegan burger to be brought out but I used to have a reaction to certain Quorn products when I was vegetarian and so did my brother.

That is interesting Ledboots as I didn't realise that palpitations can be a side effect as I experienced them and chest pains last year and I went to get an ECG as I have a strong history of heart trouble in the women in my family. Maybe it was a reaction to eating something as the ECG was fine.

Reactions: ledboots
I wonder whether Chinese cooks use msg at home when preparing food ? I have never seen a cooking programme where the chef has actually added MSG to the food that has been prepared.

as I said, when I used it in curries I didn't notice any difference. I wondered if it is just a myth that it works, but maybe it just doesn't work with some people.

as I said, when I used it in curries I didn't notice any difference. I wondered if it is just a myth that it works, but maybe it just doesn't work with some people.
I don't have much (any) practical experience with MSG, but is it possible that a curry, which is typically spicy and tomato-y, would tend to mask the flavour enhancing property of MSG? Tomatoes themselves naturally contain MSG, so maybe you didn't notice a difference because of that. I'm fairly certain this property is not a myth, otherwise surely it wouldn't have been used for so long.

I wonder whether Chinese cooks use msg at home when preparing food ? I have never seen a cooking programme where the chef has actually added MSG to the food that has been prepared.

Well, my wifes family in Taiwan definitely use it at home. When I was cooking there and asked for salt, I was given a box that had a small compartment for salt and a rather large one for msg.

Also, msg occurs naturally, e.g. in tomatos, cheese, and similar, especially in seaweed.

I like to use vegan dashi at home, which is normally made by boiling seaweed for a very long time (but likely also has some of the chemically produced version added).
Using MSG basically means that you use a chemically produced version of the same substance.

Questions and Answers on Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

Of course, it is possible that some people are sensitive to that - then they would likely also have issues with the naturally occuring version. But, like Gluten sensitivity, there are few people who unfortunately have this condition, and millions who have been driven by reports to avoid it.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:
Of course, it is possible that some people are sensitive to that - then they would likely also have issues with the naturally occuring version. But, like Gluten sensitivity, there are few people who unfortunately have this condition, and millions who have been driven by reports to avoid it.

This.

Well, my wifes family in Taiwan definitely use it at home. When I was cooking there and asked for salt, I was given a box that had a small compartment for salt and a rather large one for msg.

Also, msg occurs naturally, e.g. in tomatos, cheese, and similar, especially in seaweed.

I like to use vegan dashi at home, which is normally made by boiling seaweed for a very long time (but likely also has some of the chemically produced version added).
Using MSG basically means that you use a chemically produced version of the same substance.

Questions and Answers on Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

Best regards,
Andy

I see. I have never seen a cooking programme where chefs use msg and thought it was a product only used in restaurant food.

I know that certain food like tomatoes, parmesan and mushrooms contain msg as I have followed a migraine food diet and it doesn't permit certain food that contains it. The list is quite restrictive.

I absolutely loathe seaweed as it is too salty and tastes vile. I think that it is suite popular in Japanese cooking.