Merry Meet From North East England

FatDadUK

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
I'm presently a very strong omnivore and I love my meat, seafood and dairy (meat, seafood and milk chocolate are HUGE passions of mine). I enjoy these items more than most but I find myself waging a daily war with my conscience over the effects my food choices have on animals, the environment and my own ever-increasing waistline. I am however, looking into taking up the vegan lifestyle.

In the late 1990's I was vegetarian for 2 years on ethical grounds and vegan for 12 months after that as I began to realise the evil side of the food industry reached far beyond the most obvious things like meat, fur and leather etc.

My meat free days were amongst my happiest and healthiest times, before being lured back into the world of the omnivore once again due to my growing boredom with food and missing my meat, dairy and seafood so much.

Sadly, The omnivorous table is where I have dined and supped heartily, some would say gluttonously, ever since.

Now I'm well into the exciting journey that is middle-age (I was born in 1967) I find concerns about my mortality are figuring more in my thoughts but more importantly I find it more and more difficult to equate my deep love of animals with my ability to allow the food industry to torture and kill them on my behalf.

I'm unsure where this journey will take me but I'm getting my bags packed, checking the maps and planning my route and I'm keen to head out into the unknown, if anyone would care to guide me along the rocky path ahead I would love your company.

While I know what I am about to do is the right thing and will bring so many rewards I know there will come times of weakness and half a century of meat eating will not be erased from my life and my psyche without some kind of resistance.

I have joined this forum for information, advice and encouragement along the way (I would like to abundantly give and receive such things) so buckle up for what's going to be an interesting journey.

- Peace & Love FatDadUK

Hello and welcome and congratulations on embarking on the vegan journey! I hope you enjoy it here and find it helpful!

:welcome:

I wish you success on your journey back to veganism. We're very supportive here; don't hesitate to ask us any questions you might have.

Congratulations on your decision! I'm also in the UK (well, not right now, I'm on holiday!) and I'm also a dad :)

Do you have much cooking experience? How does your family feel about your decision?

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Welcome to VV! This place is full of information and support. :)

@FatDadUK Welcome! So glad to have you! many here can relate to your story! I was on/off veg'n since my teens until I made myself stick to it until I now feel like a omniveg-like I have so many options that I don't have to go outside the parameters of no meat. I don't call myself vegan anymore as I have fudged on ingredients too much. Stress makes me tend to get crazy with OCD and something like a dough conditioner can trigger me so I let it go