May the poop and fart jokes commence.

Long-term, most people bulking up on high-fiber foods do not appear to have significantly increased problems with gas. In the beginning, though, “A little bit of extra flatulence,” reads the Harvard Health Letter, “could be an indication that you’re eating the way you should!” The buoyancy of floating stools from trapped gasses can in fact be seen as a sign of adequate fiber intake. The indigestible sugars in beans that make it down to our colon may even function as prebiotics to feed our good bacteria and make for a healthier colon.

Even if at first they make us gassy, beans are so health-promoting that we should experiment with ways to keep them in our diet at all costs. Lentils, split peas and canned beans tend to be less gas-producing. Tofu usually isn’t an offender. Repeated soakings of dried beans and tossing the cooking water may help if you boil your own. Worse comes to worst, there are cheap supplements that contain alpha-galactosidase, an enzyme shown to break up the bean sugars and take the sail out of your wind.

Odor is a separate issue. The smell appears to come primarily from the digestion of sulfur-rich foods, so to cut down on the stench, experts have recommended cutting back on foods such as meat and eggs (hydrogen sulfide is called “rotten egg gas” for a reason). In “Contribution of Dietary Protein to Sulfide Production in the Large Intestine” researchers found that meat-eaters generated as much as 15 times the sulfides as those eating vegetarian.
Taken from:

Oh. I forgot about the floaters. I'll have to check that out next time.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised no one has asked why the study was conducted only on men.
My guess is that if they surveyed women, there would be Zero data on farts.

I wonder what veg*ns will do when (if?) humans start spreading out into space? They'll have to have methane scrubbers or avoid sources of ignition. (I'm picturing that last image of the Death Star in the original Star Wars movie... "KAAAAA-BLOOEY!!"- and no pesky rebel pilots dropping torpedoes into the exhaust port needed).

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Was just reminded that one reason to consume less beef is that cows produce a lot of methane - a a GHG that is a major contributing factor to global warming.

But what about us humans eating less beef and then farting more. Could we be negating the positive effect of eating less beef.

;)

:woo:

@Lou I've always wondered why domestic cows would be more of a methane source than wild bison, wildebeests, or other bovids? I was also wondering if animals in the deer family expelled methane, but they're somewhat different (although they have multi-chambered stomachs and eat a lot of fibrous food, too)

I never really looked into it because I'd given up meat long before that issue became generally thought about. I'd always thought the main issue (other than the obvious animal-welfare one) was the excessive use of land and the inefficient use of grain which humans could have eaten directly.

I think I read something someplace about human flatulence and what could reduce that, but I can't remember. If I googled the subject, I suspect that I'd mostly find a lot of lowbrow humor (which, I must admit, would probably have me cracking up. I think it's a guy thing...)

Reactions: Lou
@Lou I've always wondered why domestic cows would be more of a methane source than wild bison ....
First off, you know I was just joking around?

But in all seriousness, it's a numbers thing. Ok I'm going to do a little googling.

Before the white man there was 30 - 60 million bison in North America.

Today there are about 100 million cows in North America.
So many more cows.

Reactions: Emma JC
Getting back on track.

This article is very disappointing. Not one poop joke. 💩
But its a very good summary of what we have been discussing in this thread and a few others.

the article suggested to consume 30 different types of plants for optimum gut biome health.
Counting on fingers I got 18. But I bet I'm missing a few. Still 30 seems like a lot.

OK can you guys count yours up and post it here. Interesting to compare.

1. oat
  2. wheat
  3. corn
  4. blueberries
  5. strawberries
  6. bannana
  7. soy beans
  8. peas
  9. cabbage
  10. brocoli
  11. mushrooms
  12. lentils
  13. carrot
  14. celery
  15. onion
  16. potato
  17. tomato
  18. apple
  19. lettuce
  20. garbanzo beans
  21. black beans
  22. rice
  23. coffee
  24. chocolate
  25. peanuts
  26. sunflower seeds
  27. sesame seeds
  28. chia seeds
  29. flax seeds
  30. almonds
  31. cashews.

• Love
nice list!! I would have to go back to my list of groceries that I stocked up on at the beginning of the pandemic to compare lists

yours does look pretty similar to what mine would be

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
This is no joke!!--I need to know why I was having gas all morning that smelled JUST like kala namak, black salt!!!!!
I don't normally have smelly gas at all, at most after raw veggies where it smells like broccoli but dissapates fast.
This morning I had nothing to eat, as usual. The day before was a very typical day, and didn't eat late. I wasn't bloated, or pained, I just kept farting what black salt smells like :argh:That's nasty :sadnod:. It wasn't so bad when I got to work at least. I so want to know why
I didn't use it for some time, but I am very familiar with it, and it smells very bad and very distinctive!

This is no joke!!--I need to know why I was having gas all morning that smelled JUST like kala namak, black salt!!!!!
I don't normally have smelly gas at all, at most after raw veggies where it smells like broccoli but dissapates fast.
This morning I had nothing to eat, as usual. The day before was a very typical day, and didn't eat late. I wasn't bloated, or pained, I just kept farting what black salt smells like :argh:That's nasty :sadnod:. It wasn't so bad when I got to work at least. I so want to know why
I didn't use it for some time, but I am very familiar with it, and it smells very bad and very distinctive!
from the following article: Foods high in sulfur can make your farts reek of rotten eggs. Cruciferous veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage are often to blame.

Emma JC

I just sniffed some black salt. IMHO, It doesn't smell bad. and it doesn't smell like sulfur. I had a fresh package, too.

Did a little research but I don't think this article will help much but maybe make you anxious about colon cancer.

This article seemed more helpful. I think the peppermint tea is a good idea anyway. Its sort of a seasonal thing too. I wonder if peppermint hot chocolate would be good, too. I don't think the store bought mixes would be vegan. but maybe I could just drop a candy cane in my hot chocolate. :)

oh wow. I may go get some peppermint tea - seems like it could be a good for you

Last year I tried the Chocolate Peppermint Tea from The Republic of Tea. It wasn't very chocolaty or pepperminty.

I may try this one. Or just go into Whole Foods, they have one that is organic and Fair Trade, too.

Last edited:
from the following article: Foods high in sulfur can make your farts reek of rotten eggs. Cruciferous veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage are often to blame.

Emma JC

I just sniffed some black salt. IMHO, It doesn't smell bad. and it doesn't smell like sulfur. I had a fresh package, too.

Did a little research but I don't think this article will help much but maybe make you anxious about colon cancer.

This article seemed more helpful. I think the peppermint tea is a good idea anyway. Its sort of a seasonal thing too. I wonder if peppermint hot chocolate would be good, too. I don't think the store bought mixes would be vegan. but maybe I could just drop a candy cane in my hot chocolate. :)

oh wow. I may go get some peppermint tea - seems like it could be a good for you

Last year I tried the Chocolate Peppermint Tea from The Republic of Tea. It wasn't very chocolaty or pepperminty.

I may try this one. Or just go into Whole Foods, they have one that is organic and Fair Trade, too.

:dismay:You're missing my point! I eat all the foods mentioned and do NOT suffer from smelly gas. Yesterday was a complete anomaly. It was followed by a day of very ordinary meals, and I hadn't even eaten any food or drink from 7 pm until 9am. It was from about 4:30am to about 7:30 am

Black salt is known as 'farty salt', but I think it's different and very very very pungent! My farts weren't as bad as when I use it over the sink and then run water to wash it down.
@Lou --This is what I'm talking about https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Spices-...ocphy=9015323&hvtargid=pla-569526448250&psc=1

Anyway, I haven't had issues since.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou