Matcha Tea

I remember having an iced matcha tea drink at Starbucks about a year ago and I liked it.

I’ve been all about tea for decades - black, green, white, and red. I recently started using culinary matcha in a morning soy blueberry shake instead of drinking anything else caffeinated. Although I had matcha before and liked it, it was work-intensive compared to simply brewing tea so I seldom drank it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I was telling my sister about Matcha and she told me to talk to her daughter-in-law. Turns out she is a Matcha Something*. She has a Matcha Sensei. She gave me a lot of stuff to read, too.

*fan / nut / expert / connoisseur ??

I’ve been all about tea for decades - black, green, white, and red. I recently started using culinary matcha in a morning soy blueberry shake instead of drinking anything else caffeinated. Although I had matcha before and liked it, it was work-intensive compared to simply brewing tea so I seldom drank it.

Blueberries! I hadn't thought of that.

I was putting matcha in my breakfast smoothies, but it was too close to my morning coffee! Berries, some kind of citrus or pineapple, ginger, ground flax, matcha and water

Reactions: Raven and Lou
I was putting matcha in my breakfast smoothies, but it was too close to my morning coffee! Berries, some kind of citrus or pineapple, ginger, ground flax, matcha and water

i stopped drinking coffee a while back. but the berries and fruit juice sounds like its worth a try.

So i got my ceremonial grade match delivered yesterday. I also found a hack for making the tea.

take a half cup of cold water.
add 1 tsp of matcha
place ingredients in a jar and shake it up really good
Add to cup and then add half a cup of hot water.

Simple!

So I did that this morning and I didn't really like the flavor. Maybe I made it too strong. I think I will try it with just half a tsp tomorrow.

In order to make it more palatable I added a little milk and sugar. Maybe my best bet is to make Matcha Lattes. I was thinking of getting a frothing stick anyway. so maybe this will be the excuse I need. I usually have vanilla-flavored soy milk in the frig (but Safeway was out of it).

I like the way it makes me feel.

Reactions: KLS52
So i got my ceremonial grade match delivered yesterday. I also found a hack for making the tea.

take a half cup of cold water.
add 1 tsp of matcha
place ingredients in a jar and shake it up really good
Add to cup and then add half a cup of hot water.

Simple!

So I did that this morning and I didn't really like the flavor. Maybe I made it too strong. I think I will try it with just half a tsp tomorrow.

In order to make it more palatable I added a little milk and sugar. Maybe my best bet is to make Matcha Lattes. I was thinking of getting a frothing stick anyway. so maybe this will be the excuse I need. I usually have vanilla-flavored soy milk in the frig (but Safeway was out of it).

I like the way it makes me feel.
That was enough to be lump free? If i wasn't making a smoothie I used the battery frother
That battery frother is good for many things-like cocoa
It does give good, even, long lasting energy!

Reactions: KLS52
That was enough to be lump free? If i wasn't making a smoothie I used the battery frother
That battery frother is good for many things-like cocoa
It does give good, even, long lasting energy!

supposedly the trick to being lump-free is to put it the matcha thru a strainer first. but i didn't do that. Just shaking it seemed to work.

I was thinking of buying this one. what do you think?

Reactions: Lou
Tea (loose leaves) never spoil as long as you store them in an airtight tin in a cool place. I have tea that I keep for years. However, the flavor isn't as good after about 18 months.

Matcha isn't loose leaves. It doesn't have a long shelf life. Once opened it needs to be stored in an airtight container, and in a cool dark place. Pretty much just like ground coffee. You can put it in the frig - it might double the shelf life. If you store it in the frig it might last 2 months. Mine has.

Since Matcha is available in very small containers you should be able to finish it within a month or two.

So after a few months of experimentation, these are my conclusions.
The culinary quality matcha is just fine for smoothies. I use soy milk, bananas, and whatever fruit is on hand. So far I have used all of the following (in various combinations): blueberries, mango, and pineapple. Health additives can include flaxseed oil, turmeric & pepper. Sweeteners to your own preferences. I have found I like a tsp of vanilla and a tsp of agave syrup.

I am not a big fan of "straight" matcha tea. I have used the ceremonial quality, the little bowls, and even some sweeteners.

I AM a big fan of hot matcha lattes. I take 1/4 cup hot water and 1 tsp of ceremonial grade match and whisk, Then i heat up 3/4 cup soymilk and whisk ( i got one of those sticks now). I add a tsp of vanilla and a tsp of agave syrup. Combine in a mug. YUM.

Reactions: Raven