Matcha Tea

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I listened to this podcast on Matcha Tea

It really got me interested so I ordered some from Amazon. Once it arrived I realized I got the wrong kind. I got the Culinary Grade instead of the Ceremonial Grade. The Culinary grade is good for baking, smoothies, and lattes. But not recommended for tea.

I just finished my first Matcha Smoothie. and it was pretty good. But I still want to try the tea. I looked up Ceremonial Grade Matcha at Amazon and there is a big variation of prices - but all expensive. Etsy seems to have better deals.

Anyway, I know that some of you drink Matcha tea so I thought maybe you guys might have some advice.

I really only the culinary grade in smoothies--well I used to, I haven't had the need for some time
I love the sustained even energy I get. I've never had the good kind!

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I ordered a crazy expensive organic matcha from amazon a few years ago. It was really good but I didn’t end up finishing it and then I threw it out when we moved in February because I figured it was so old.

Doing a Matcha smoothie at 5 PM may have been a mistake. It's almost 10 and I'm wide awake. I also took 5mg of THC at around 8. So far I like the mixture. I'm thinking Matcha Smoothies are probably better for breakfast.
I got a Ruku today and I've been setting it up and having fun playing with it. Normally at 10 PM I'm thinking about going to bed. Right now I'm thinking about starting a movie. :grinning:

Reactions: KLS52
I ordered a crazy expensive organic matcha from amazon a few years ago. It was really good but I didn’t end up finishing it and then I threw it out when we moved in February because I figured it was so old.

Tea (loose leaves) never spoil as long as you store them in an airtight tin in a cool place. I have tea that I keep for years. However, the flavour isn't as good after about 18 months.

Years ago I tried matcha before many people knew anything about it, including one tea company that passed off food grade matcha as tea.
It was extremely bitter and tasted like boiled lawn clippings!
I joined a tea web board choc full of tea experts, including professional buyers.
They schooled me about the difference between drinking matcha and food grade matcha.
Matcha is expensive and you get what you pay for.
No way around that.

The tea professionals on that board liked to view price as price per cup.
At the time I would not think think anything of getting a bottled diet cola from the soda machine at work for the better part of $2.
Interestingly, many of the "expensive" teas I was trying were cheaper than that.
The tea experts recommended I use o-cha.com for any type of Japanese green tea. I've been using that site for about 10 years.
I always got tasty matcha from that site, even at the lower prices.

FWIW, try matcha out with the traditional bowl and preparation equipment. I think it makes a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and silva
FWIW, try matcha out with the traditional bowl and preparation equipment. I think it makes a difference.

Thanks! I already checked out that website and it looks like a good place to buy Matcha. I will but at least the wisk. I have some bowls that should work. If I really get into it I'll buy the whole shebang.

And you are right, even though it's expensive, it's not that bad compared to other beverages on a price per beverage basis.

Thanks! I already checked out that website and it looks like a good place to buy Matcha. I will but at least the wisk. I have some bowls that should work. If I really get into it I'll buy the whole shebang.

And you are right, even though it's expensive, it's not that bad compared to other beverages on a price per beverage basis.
Shipping though? Mine came up $23.40--twice the price of the tea

Tea (loose leaves) never spoil as long as you store them in an airtight tin in a cool place. I have tea that I keep for years. However, the flavour isn't as good after about 18 months.
This was a powder. It was in the refrigerator but was over 3 years old.
it was good but I’m just not one to drink it that much. Plus, I needed a lot of sugar in it because, well, it’s me. 😁 I always need more sugar in tea for some reason than I do in coffee.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I drank Matcha green tea for a long time. I haven't bought any in quite some time now. To me it was a wonderful treat though. I just enjoyed the flavour a lot. When I drank it regularly, I only ever drank it in the morning, and it was in place of coffee. Now I'm back on coffee, hence why I haven't bought any Matcha in a some time.

Anyhow, while it might seem expensive, a little goes a long ways. I'm not sure what one cup works out to in dollars, but I am pretty sure it's still much cheaper than going to Starbucks in the mornings. I always found it locally. I suppose I would consider Amazon and places online though. That looks like a really good deal on USA Amazon, Lou.

I liked this video for how to make traditional Matcha tea:

I didn’t know about sifting the powder. Probably why I felt like the tea was a little gritty. I used my magic bullet to blend it.

Last time I made matcha buy itself I used a hand held milk frother
View attachment 21821

I bought that as well.

I went through a stage of making matcha but then lockdown happened and my husband kept using the plant milk for cereal so I stopped using it to make tea. I should buy some more matcha and try it again.

The Tea Horse Road

If you can, buy some pu erh tea from the ancient forests where all tea originated, comes in a cake form like this.

dayi_7542shou.jpg

Reactions: KLS52
I'm having my Matcha Tea smoothie in the morning. My afternoon foray into matcha was ill-advised. I was up till 3 am that morning.

I didn't have any yesterday and got a good night's sleep last night so I'm ready for round two.

1 tsp matcha
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/8tsp turmeric
dash pepper
1 tbsp protein powder
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen mango.

315 calories
16 g protein
5 g fat
90mg caffeine