Marmite-love it or hate it?

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I used to love Marmite as a child, before I even knew what a vegetarian or vegan meant so it has always been a great thing to have in my diet.

I know some people don't like it, I'm the only one in my family who does eat it and I don't remember how it started. These days I have gone back to having marmite on toast as a snack. I also eat it raw at times just by itself with a spoon, and it's good!

Haha, wouldn't eat it of a spoon, but do love it on toast with a little vegan margarine! :p

Its owned by Unilever who test on animals unrepentantly, so I have not bought it in years. I buy the supermarket knock-off version and it does the trick for me.

I was going to start my own thread for this, but since this one is on topic, I decided to necro this one. So...I'm curious if anyone has tried both Vegemite and Marmite and what their thoughts are as to which tastes better? The reason I ask is I now see Vegemite sold here in Canada, which I have never tried. It looks the same, for all intents and purposes. My main purpose being cooking. I don't spread my Marmite on toast, but rather use it in recipes to enhance flavour.

I have tried both. I believe Vegemite is Australian? I think Marmite tastes somewhat better but Vegemite is good too. In England, I used to get Sainsburys own brand which is every bit as good as Marmite but a fraction of the price.

• Informative
Reactions: Veganite
Yes, I have heard that vegemite is Aussie in origin. The history is quite interesting. See source below for full story.

Like so much of Australian culture, Vegemite was basically a rip-off of the British original. A Melbourne chemist by the name of Cyril Percy Callister developed Australia’s own salty black paste in 1919 after Marmite imports were disrupted by the War, using off-cuts from the Carlton & United Brewery blended with salt, celery and onion extracts.

Source

I liked Vegemite, but haven't had it in years. I think it is milder than Marmite. I do like Marmite, but it has to be spread very thinly.

I've had a jar of marmite for years now. I've used mostly in seitan, didn't care for it on toast. I think I left enough to shake with some hot water for one more!
Never tried vegemite

I've tasted both Marmite and Vegemite and the former is the winner. I actually buy Sainsbury's own brand as it's not only
reduced in salt but far cheaper than Marmite.
I like it spread on hot toast with spread and also use it in cooking especially when making stew, chilli, soya loaf,pasties and mole.

Over here the few people that have tried it don't like it as they are used to having sickly sweet jam on bread or toast. My pal who came
with me to Brighton didn't even want to taste it and looked a bit disgusted at my Marmite thickly spread on toast. :D

I'm just having a vegan cheese and marmite sandwich now after reading this.

I do understand why people wouldn't like marmite, though. It must be an acquired taste.

• Love
Reactions: Veganite and shyvas
I remember buying marmite when I first went vegan, so somewhere around 2005. I was somehow led to believe it was similar in taste to nutritional yeast. I made the mistake of trying it on toast and it did not appeal to me. It kind of reminded me of the better than bouillon in a jar. I would never think to have that on toast. And it's nothing like nutritional yeast! I definitely can see it used in savory dishes to add flavor though.

I like a small amount. After that it gets kind of bleggghhh.
I like to say I am ambivalent...because I'm an awkward tosser sometimes :)