Making your own tofu

Connie

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Has anyone tried making your own Tofu? I've read that it's done the same way as dairy cheese and tastes much nicer than shop bought tofu.

Just did a search on how to make tofu, looks to be fairly easy. Also there is no waste as the okara (bean solids ) can be used in burgers, cakes, and cookies etc. Will give it a try in the next couple of weeks and let you know.

Sounds like something I need to try and make this weekend. I will post an article about it this weekend on my website, and share it here.

Still haven't got round to trying this, anyone else had a go yet ?
Been doing a bit of research and why stop at soy for making tofu, apparently there are a whole range of beans suitable to use. Who knew, not me. Chick peas sound good.

Last edited:
I have made my own tofu from scratch. It isn't too hard to do and the tofu tasted fresh and delicious, and the texture was great. I am not a fan of wet, jiggly tofu and usually shell out more money for the firm, dry variety you can typically only find at organic groceries and co-ops. So I followed a recipe/instructions for a firmer tofu when I made my own.

I used my soy milk maker to make fresh soymilk, then added the coagulant (nigari). The soymilk separated into curds and whey, which I then poured through a tofu press lined with cheesecloth. I then let sit for some time to firm up. It was the best tofu I've ever tasted and would highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't!

I bought a kit that included a press and some coagulant and made my own tofu just a few weeks ago. The results were nice, but I found it rather time consuming. Not the soaking or cooking the soybeans so much as the instructions that came with the kit : press, drain, wait ½ hour, repeat several times.

I rather enjoy making homemade food, but this just took too long for one block of tofu. Of course if someone has a better method to make more faster, I'm all ears!

finally got around to doing this.
attempt one I went with the 500g and wow with the foam etc it raises in the pan quick - so result - me cleaning hob and empty in bin.
attempt 2 - went for 250g - so had probably a quarter of what I would buy for £2 in the shop - probably a bit better but not worth the effort.

may still I think try just straight from mile rather than beans as what else will I do with nigari

at least it was an experience though and you never know some fresh cheese cloth - slower plan and away I may go

I have a pretty foolproof method making tofu from soybeans using a slow-masticating juicer and an Instant Pot if anyone's interested.