Making sure my vegetables are not grown in animal waste

TaniaRP

Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm kind of new to this and there is a matter that bothers me. How can one make sure animals were not used in any step of the food production? Organic farming only ensures no chemicals are used. Is there a similar certification that guarantees no manure was used to fertilize the soil our vegetables were grown in?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge

Reactions: Rashida
Great question, the answer is "The only way to know for sure is to grow the veggies yourself".

Other than that, nothing is for sure, we can only make reasonable assumptions.

We grew our own vegetables. No chemicals or fertilizers used aside from occasional vegetable compost. I highly recommend growing a garden. It is good for your diet and helps keep you active. :D

Is it fair to say that organic could mean no chemicals and hence animal manure IS needed. For normal, non-organic, I believe they don't often use much animal manure since it is more economically efficient to spread on the pesticides and fertilisers instead. I think I read that once.

I do suspect that trying to avoid products grown with animal manure is taking things too far. The avoidance of animal manure just means chemicals are used which are likely more damaging to the environment than animal manure. The exception to this is the suggestion above of avoiding animal manure by growing your own (or perhaps allotments or some other locally grown, none mass produced variety).

Jamie, i believe organic means only chemicals from the approved list. It is definitely not pesticide free.

Mushrooms have Tons of waste on them

Last edited by a moderator: