Lunch for work?

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What does everyone like to eat at lunch?
For my first break I like boiled peanuts and energy drinks.
Then on my lunch I like to do vegan ham and cheese sandwiches, sometimes pb&j with a side of veggies, fruit or chips.
Sometimes I'll just do left overs. I rarely eat out since there's not much exciting for vegans in the area.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
My first years as a vegan I really struggled with lunches. I believe it was a combination of a lack of imagination, lack of preparation and that many times my lunch was rushed. I didn't think I could count on sitting down and eating my lunch. So salads and soups were off the menu. I did a lot of pb&Js cut in quarters. and buritoes made in small flour tortillas. Home made granola and home made gorp were what I had on breaks.

nowadays I usually have soup or salad or a sandwich or some combination of those.
I also have leftovers when there are some.

Field Roast now has a new hot dog. I bought some and it isn't bad. so today I had a hot dog in a tortilla with sauerkraut and mustard. And some 3-Bean salad.

I often take cooked rice, or other grains, and top with frozen broccoli, a sprinkle of nuts or edamame, and a sauce if I have one,or some Braggs aminos and a packet of sweet sour sauce I collect from Chinese
A bean dip and chips or veggies
A tortilla spread with fat free refried beans and veggies
A lot of salads lately. In winter a lot of soups

My favorite, and I was too tired to make it today,- a spinach dip. In food processor-
a box of silken tofu,
a packet of french onion dip mix
a glob of vegan mayo
about a 1/3 cup nooch
2 Tbls lemon juice
a squirt of dijon mustard
some garlic powder
whir till blended, then stir in thawed and drained spinach.
Good with artichoke hearts too
This is great as a sandwich spread,a dip, and great on microwaved potatoes, and all other veggies
Also good on pasta and rice

Now I want to make it for the week but I need to go to bed :( :zzz:

I only get a 15 minute break at work so I just bring a fruit cup or applesauce and sometimes a snack bar. I eat my main meal of the day when I get home usually around 1 so though it is lunch time, the meal is more like dinner.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I'm back at the office so will have to get used to packing lunches again! I've forgotten what sort of things I used to bring 🙈 Falafel, rice, salad and houmous was a common lunch or variations of that with bulgur/sausages instead. Following for other ideas too. 🙂

we are still working at home so we have only lunch/breakfast - mostly I have breakfast and he makes himself lunch around noon - I do the oatmeal thing and he makes a noodle soup and adds tons of frozen veggies (string beans, carrots etc) and wakame and mushroom powder and has recently started adding the smaller soy curls too - it is good to be down to two meals a day and sometimes if we eat lunch/breakfast even later than noon then dinner is very small

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Hi... having partially grown up in Tokyo - i would suggest looking into making Onigiri. it's a traditional Japanese 'sandwich'; Kimchi or a Tsukemono hidden inside a ball of rice, wrapped in a sheet of Nori. Try that with a cup of Miso. Great for camping and hiking too - lasts for days... all you need is a hot water bottle and some miso paste. Bon Appetite !ONigiri.jpg

got some may wah, so I'll take in some vegan drumsticks, ham and ribs to work too.

Reactions: PTree15
I often pack a lunch for various reasons. I'm finding lately I feel stagnant with ideas. I've tried searching on YouTube "vegan lunches" sort of thing, but the search results are always disappointing. It's always some Buddha box style lunches with several components and often with beans as the main ingredient. Now, I do like beans, but just not every day in my lunch. In fact, I prefer them in moderation. You also see many videos promoting high protein vegan lunches, etc. I'm not after high protein lunches, with beans. I'm after something that will satiate and tastes reasonably good. It's that simple!

So what do I make, I ask? I need some fresh ideas, but nothing too labour intensive. Actually, I don't mind labour intensive recipes if they're worth the effort and I have the time.

These are some of the things I currently make but am finding tiresome lately. I've made various types of all the items listed below. What I am hoping for are some ethnic recipe ideas. Maybe something you don't see on my list that you enjoy for lunch. Even something on my list below, but with a new twist.

Summertime
- pasta salads & garden salads
- various sandwiches & fillings
- quesadillas
- tacos
- burritos
- wraps

Winter
- soups
- stews
- chilies
- dahl with bread or rice

wow, sounds like you have most of it covered... :)

not sure if couscous is covered in your pasta salads however that is something easy that can be made ahead of time - I would keep the ingredients separate until leaving for work eg. make the couscous itself, flavoured however you like (garlic powder, dry chives, other spices) and then a combo of cut veggies/olives etc with more spices/lemon juice/vinegar and chick peas or not - before leaving combine some of each into one container and leave some for another day/snack

do you have a microwave at work? if so the vegan Tasty Bites are a nice option, they have packaged rice and individual chana masala, bombay potatoes etc and they are often on sale for 3 for $7 so fairly inexpensive

I am going to try something new for our lunch today and if it works I will add it here later as it could be portable...

Emma JC

Reactions: Veganite
just saw someone had falafels last night for dinner, that is a great lunch idea as you can pick up the Casbah package and bake them in the oven, throw in some lettuce/greens, veggies and a cool sauce of some kind - they make a fair number so again lunch for a few days or snack etc.

Emma JC

My go-to thing at work is a can of vegetables. Lately the local supermarket has had corn and French style green beans in a no-sodium-added version so I get those. Drain, dump in a dish, eat cold. My favorite thing is to sprinkle a little low sodium steak seasoning on it. For me that is a meal. I also like canned asparagus and canned carrots, but have been avoiding them until I can find low sodium versions. I also love canned mushrooms, but last time I had a hard time with them passing through so avoiding them at the moment too.

Some days when I have more appetite I have breakfast at my desk too. I keep a box or two of assorted instant oatmeal in my little cubicle “pantry”. I dump 2 different flavors into a coffee cup, and stir in just enough cold water to wet it all without being soupy. Some days I have apple cinnamon cereal bars instead.

just saw someone had falafels last night for dinner, that is a great lunch idea as you can pick up the Casbah package and bake them in the oven, throw in some lettuce/greens, veggies and a cool sauce of some kind - they make a fair number so again lunch for a few days or snack etc.

Great suggestions, thank you. I do enjoy falafels a lot. I prefer to make my own though. They are actually quite easy to make, especially if you bake them...though deep fried does taste way better.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
I didn't know you could get canned asparagus.
I get it from Dollar General but there are other places. I like it because it’s in water and it’s really soft. Easier to eat that way. Also because with any canned food, I can stock up and don’t have to worry about it going bad.

I often do leftovers for lunch, such as a smaller portion of what I had for dinner the night before, especially now that I work from home. When I was working at an office, I had to watch some of the more pungent foods I like. My pesto, for instance, has a lot of garlic, and that smell can be off-putting to some people. :D

I do a lot of wraps as well. I will often cut up vegan chik'n tenders or a Boca chik'n patty and add greens, tomatoes, pickles, olives, vegan cheese and a little Italian dressing. Same with seitan. I also love falafel wraps and ones made with refried beans, onions, olives and hot peppers.

Salad is another favorite. Whatever's in the fridge. I will also often add a protein to it, such as black beans, cooked tofu or chickpeas. I like to make my own dressings as well. Italian mostly, but sometimes I'll do balsamic vinaigrette or maybe French dressing. I mostly use recipes from my ancient Betty Crocker cookbook. :)

And now I'm hungry!

Reactions: Emma JC