Low carb vegan diet..

Freesia

not my business.
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Anyone tried this... i am giving it a go, if i can stop stuffing my face that is..

• Friendly
Reactions: Raven
Anyone tried this... i am giving it a go, if i can stop stuffing my face that is..

How do you plan to go low carb on a vegan diet ? It's really very difficult to go really low carb unless you plan to go vegetarian.
What kind of food/meals do you usually eat and do you feel hungry all the time, hence the 'stuffing my face' comment? :)

@Freesia

Going low carb is sort of stupid. (sorry if that is too blunt).

Carbs, fats, and proteins are nutrients. Do you know what a nutrient is? It is "a substance that provides nourishment essential for growth and the maintenance of life." Notice the word essential?

Quite a few studies have shown that people on low carb diets are not as healthy as people on ordinary diets. If you ask I will provide references - but you can google it yourself.

BTW there is no doubt that a Keto diet is good for losing weight. But even the Doctors who promote the keto diet do not promote the diet as a long term diet. And the honest ones warn that a person should only be on the Keto diet for a month or two (usually in the first chapter).

However, a good way to lose weigh in the short term is not a good diet. Although many dieters have problems losing weight, almost as many have trouble not gaining it back when they go off the diet. And I am under the impression (without evidence) that Keto dieters are prone to gaining weight back when they go off the diet. since it is not a long-term diet they have to go off it.

I used to think that Keto and Vegan were mutually exclusive. but there have been a number of people who have blogged about it. There are even at least a dozen books about it. As far as I know, there have been no scientific studies on it.

But IMHO, being possible or popular does not make something advisable or smart. But I don't think a vegan keto diet is any stupider than a regular keto diet - just harder to do.

I notice that you use the word "low carb" instead of Keto. Since most people mean Keto when they say low carb i just assumed that is what you meant. but low carb can mean other things as well. approximately sixty percent of a vegan's calories will come from carbs. The remaining 40% will come from a combination of fats and proteins. A 20/20 split is what most people recommend. But if you up your fats and protein to 30/30 then carbs are down to 40%. and for a vegan, that could be considered a low carb diet. but as long as your calories remain the same you will not lose weight on a "vegan low carb diet". ( A keto diet is only 5% carbs. It forces your body to utilize fat for energy causing ketogenesis. )

A few years ago I lost 10 pounds over the summer. I used the weight loss diet that is described in Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live book. It was basically his regular WFPB diet but instead of having 2 - 3 servings of grains a day, you just had 1 - 2. It was slightly challenging because I like my morning oatmeal and didn't like to give it up. ( I just had a morning smoothie instead). Instead of a sandwich for lunch, I had a big salad instead. I saved my daily serving of grains for dinner which was usually rice.

Low carb is a load of nonsense. Bodybuilders use to go zero carbs but only for 5 days to go into fat burning stage, people get the idea you can do it all the time. Diets are a load of nonsense as well, just eat normal but not like the North Americans who gorge to death.

• Informative
Reactions: Mufflon and Freesia
Lower carb is meant to be good for people with diabetes and blood sugar issues. A well known British doctor I really respect says he has seen it work with a lot of his patients.

I find it too difficult. I do eat far too many carbs, especially bread. I find things like bread/crackers etc... almost addictive.

I know someone who belongs to a keto/low carb vegan group on FB and she has found it helpful.

• Agree
Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
Lower carb is meant to be good for people with diabetes and blood sugar issues. A well known British doctor I really respect says he has seen it work with a lot of his patients.

I find it too difficult. I do eat far too many carbs, especially bread. I find things like bread/crackers etc... almost addictive.

I know someone who belongs to a keto/low carb vegan group on FB and she has found it helpful.

I also disagree completely with low-carb however I must point out that Type II diabetes is caused by an excess of fat in the tissues in the body and so low-carb will only exacerbate that situation as most of the calories must necessarily come from higher fat/lower carb foods. It is a now established myth that 'sugar' is the culprit in Type II diabetes.

Emma JC

Emma is right. It's fat you need to be careful with, not carbs. If you drop your carbs you also drop your protein levels. On a vegan diet, that isn't a great idea.

Reactions: Freesia
I also disagree completely with low-carb however I must point out that Type II diabetes is caused by an excess of fat in the tissues in the body and so low-carb will only exacerbate that situation as most of the calories must necessarily come from higher fat/lower carb foods. It is a now established myth that 'sugar' is the culprit in Type II diabetes.

Emma JC

The doctor I like is quite open-minded about different types of diets. He said he has seen success with all different diets, including vegan diets. He said he has seen the numbers come down dramatically with short term keto/low carb with patients with diabetes so I do believe what he is saying.

I am a vegan for ethical reasons and I know it obviously isn't optimal for omnivores. I think it can work for some people but I haven't known many healthy vegans. But then they are all ethical like me so their health probably isn't their top priority. :D

Personally, I've felt the best as a vegan when I ate 50% raw vegan and also when I bought all organic fruit and veg. I felt quite ill on a low carb diet even though I lost weight.

How do you plan to go low carb on a vegan diet ? It's really very difficult to go really low carb unless you plan to go vegetarian.
What kind of food/meals do you usually eat and do you feel hungry all the time, hence the 'stuffing my face' comment? :)

its more anxiety than anything else. just nervous eating...

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Assuming low carb = keto.
Yes, a keto diet can help with type II diabetes. It is well researched. the results are a lot less clear for type I.

Mainly it is just because of the low carb intake. Also, most keto patients lose weight. and losing weight is the key to controlling diabetes.

However many doctors do NOT recommend keto for diabetics. i think the main reason is Ketosis puts an extra strain on the liver and kidneys. for healthy individuals that is probably not a major concern. but most diabetics are not only NOT healthy - they usually have other issues as well.

the keto diet is a HIGH fat diet. over 50% of a person's calories will come from fat. and unless the person is also a vegan - a lot of that fat is going to be saturated. which means more plaque build-ups, higher blood pressure, and a higher risk of heart disease. I think statins are cheaper than insulin. but still not a good trade.

Plus if you ask Dr. Gregar (the author of How Not To Die From Diabetes), he will tell you that its not extra sugar that causes diabetes but extra fat.

The Keto diet can also cause hypoglycemia, gallstones, and constipation. Also by cutting fruits and vegetables out of your diet you risk vitamin deficiencies.

Yes. im thinking of lowering carbs temporarily, to lose weight... there are definitely struggles with getting rid of some carbs. for me it is sugar and flour... also need to lower carb my breakfast..

@Freesia

Going low carb is sort of stupid. (sorry if that is too blunt).

Carbs, fats, and proteins are nutrients. Do you know what a nutrient is? It is "a substance that provides nourishment essential for growth and the maintenance of life." Notice the word essential?

Quite a few studies have shown that people on low carb diets are not as healthy as people on ordinary diets. If you ask I will provide references - but you can google it yourself.

BTW there is no doubt that a Keto diet is good for losing weight. But even the Doctors who promote the keto diet do not promote the diet as a long term diet. And the honest ones warn that a person should only be on the Keto diet for a month or two (usually in the first chapter).

However, a good way to lose weigh in the short term is not a good diet. Although many dieters have problems losing weight, almost as many have trouble not gaining it back when they go off the diet. And I am under the impression (without evidence) that Keto dieters are prone to gaining weight back when they go off the diet. since it is not a long-term diet they have to go off it.

I used to think that Keto and Vegan were mutually exclusive. but there have been a number of people who have blogged about it. There are even at least a dozen books about it. As far as I know, there have been no scientific studies on it.

But IMHO, being possible or popular does not make something advisable or smart. But I don't think a vegan keto diet is any stupider than a regular keto diet - just harder to do.

I notice that you use the word "low carb" instead of Keto. Since most people mean Keto when they say low carb i just assumed that is what you meant. but low carb can mean other things as well. approximately sixty percent of a vegan's calories will come from carbs. The remaining 40% will come from a combination of fats and proteins. A 20/20 split is what most people recommend. But if you up your fats and protein to 30/30 then carbs are down to 40%. and for a vegan, that could be considered a low carb diet. but as long as your calories remain the same you will not lose weight on a "vegan low carb diet". ( A keto diet is only 5% carbs. It forces your body to utilize fat for energy causing ketogenesis. )

A few years ago I lost 10 pounds over the summer. I used the weight loss diet that is described in Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live book. It was basically his regular WFPB diet but instead of having 2 - 3 servings of grains a day, you just had 1 - 2. It was slightly challenging because I like my morning oatmeal and didn't like to give it up. ( I just had a morning smoothie instead). Instead of a sandwich for lunch, I had a big salad instead. I saved my daily serving of grains for dinner which was usually rice.

i dont think i will do keto, just lower carbs. it is very dificult i tnink to vegan keto..

@Freesia

My diet advice is to read Eat to Live, Write up a weekly meal plan or copy the one out of the book. make your shopping list and stick with it. In your part of the world, summer is coming up and summer is maybe the best time to be on a Eat To Live Diet ( which requires (literally) pounds of vegetables.

The Big Salads I ate for lunch were so big I normally couldn't finish them. and then i was so stuffed I had no interest in an afternoon snack. And then my dinners which were usually something like a veggie stir fry were also very filling. My weakness was always chips and cookies. but since they weren't in my meal plan they weren't on my shopping list. so they weren't in the house.

Reactions: Freesia

Emma JC

that is the problem with vegan keto.. fat is often the first port of call and i know that can be bad for the body... it isnt easy..

Reactions: Emma JC
i know there are some great diet schemes around for vegan diet but the problem is where ilive is chaotic and i have limited kitchen space and time... it is impossible as raw and "plant based weight loss" both require prep i cannot do right now.

i dont think i will do keto, just lower carbs. it is very dificult i tnink to vegan keto..

It is difficult to do vegan keto. actually its pretty hard to do keto of any kind. It is famous because it is effective.

However, a "low carb" diet like a 40% carb diet won't help you lose weight unless it's also calorie restrictive. A WFPB diet is a high carb but low-calorie diet. Fruits and veggies are high carb. But they are also low in calories and high in nutrients. By cutting out sugar and oil, and reducing grains you can lose weight without feeling bad.

Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
i know there are some great diet schemes around for vegan diet but the problem is where ilive is chaotic and i have limited kitchen space and time... it is impossible as raw and "plant based weight loss" both require prep i cannot do right now.

A typical day of a WFPB diet is a smoothie for breakfast, a big salad for lunch, and somehting like a vegetable stir fry for dinner. In fact you can have that every day. Just vary the ingredients for the smoothie, salad and stir fry every once in a while.

You can even make a few day's worth of smoothies at a time. Or a few days of salad at a time. and instead of a stir fry you can make a few days of beans and rice, or lentil stew over mashed potaoes, or vegan chili, at a time.

Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
Assuming low carb = keto.
Yes, a keto diet can help with type II diabetes. It is well researched. the results are a lot less clear for type I.

Mainly it is just because of the low carb intake. Also, most keto patients lose weight. and losing weight is the key to controlling diabetes.

However many doctors do NOT recommend keto for diabetics. i think the main reason is Ketosis puts an extra strain on the liver and kidneys. for healthy individuals that is probably not a major concern. but most diabetics are not only NOT healthy - they usually have other issues as well.

the keto diet is a HIGH fat diet. over 50% of a person's calories will come from fat. and unless the person is also a vegan - a lot of that fat is going to be saturated. which means more plaque build-ups, higher blood pressure, and a higher risk of heart disease. I think statins are cheaper than insulin. but still not a good trade.

Plus if you ask Dr. Gregar (the author of How Not To Die From Diabetes), he will tell you that its not extra sugar that causes diabetes but extra fat.

The Keto diet can also cause hypoglycemia, gallstones, and constipation. Also by cutting fruits and vegetables out of your diet you risk vitamin deficiencies.

i know it isnt the healthiest option, but i will look to things to mitigate it.

A typical day of a WFPB diet is a smoothie for breakfast, a big salad for lunch, and somehting like a vegetable stir fry for dinner. In fact you can have that every day. Just vary the ingredients for the smoothie, salad and stir fry every once in a while.

You can even make a few day's worth of smoothies at a time. Or a few days of salad at a time. and instead of a stir fry you can make a few days of beans and rice, or lentil stew over mashed potaoes, or vegan chili, at a time.

it looks delicious, and would be ideal if i had the kitchen space/time.

one thing i do make is soups but even with this i hve limited freezer space so can only freze 2 or 3 servings... i can keep a pot of it in the fridge. but even with the soup i have to get it done in an hour so .. i often just boil up some veg as it is faster... convenience is the most important thing right now.