Losing meat cravings?

Jobis

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
I currently eat meat everyday and if I go without it I feel unsatisfied and hungry. However I have heard that you lose your craving for meat after not eating it. Is this true? Can you link me to any related articles?

Thanks!

Hello! Welcome to the forums.

Possibly, I've never really had the craving for it but I believe giving meat up is similar to giving up smoking after awhile the crave should start to disappear.

Try chewing on gum? Or brushing your teeth each time you have the crave to eat meat.

Here's a little article anyway. http://www.nomeatathlete.com/7-steps-to-eating-less-meat-now/

A quick google of 'retrain your taste buds' throws up estimates of around 3-5 months.

When I first went vegan I tried lots of fake meats and the like to help curb this. Nowadays, about 18 months into being vegan, I very rarely have fake meats at all because I don't crave them.

What is your reason for meat reducing/cutting out meat? Health, animal rights, environment etc.? You need to remind yourself of why you are doing what you are because the mere liking of a taste is a poor excuse.

I never crave meat. I didn't stop eating it over night, I ate less and less every week till I stopped entirely, but have never craved it in the process.
Just try to make yourself so overwhelmed with all the plant based food that you forget about meat.

I used to be a big meat fan in my twenties until I became a vegetarian when attending the "traditonal" slaughter of a cow and her calf in Portugal. While being a vegetarian, I certainly craved meat and surrendered to the craving on occasions. Since I have been on a vegan diet, the craving has gradually decreased. Yet, when I eat out at places (with friends), where I used to eat meat or fish before, it is definitely still tempting. So, I try to stay away from those places. But since all my friends are stubborn omnivores (so is my wife :)), there is hardly any chance to avoid these completely.

I've been vegetarian for 25+ years and don't recall ever having cravings after I decided to quit.
After all, the whole point is my love of animals and not requiring any animal deaths to provide me with a meal.
Your feelings are important Jobis. Try to imagine how the animals feel.