OSes Linux discussion

Inspired by this I tried setting transparency for my terminal - it looked cool, but was hard to work with! So went back to my normal green on black setting for now.

Inspired by this I tried setting transparency for my terminal - it looked cool, but was hard to work with! So went back to my normal green on black setting for now.

For it to be usable it tends to be a case of getting the percentage of the transparency right... 15% - 20% seems to be what's usable for me.

Reactions: Second Summer
I tell you this, there has never been a truer statement than "Use it or lose it."... I'm working on installing Gentoo onto a laptop. I'm sitting here looking at a kernel menuconfig and feeling like I probably felt 20+ years ago the first time I upgraded a kernel. I feel like I went through a de-evolution with Linux. I started with Slackware, at the time there was basically Red Hat or Slackware to choose from, hmm and maybe Mandrake. From Slackware I switched to Gentoo, and then came Debian, Ubuntu, Mint. Easy mode Linux (Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian to a lesser degree) just ruined it for me, had I stayed with Gentoo and Slackware I would not have lost interest in Linux, period. Ugh... Well, wish me luck getting a usable kernel image. I'll dust the cobwebs off my Linux legs given a little time, it should start coming back to me. Might give FreeBSD another spin too, that was a really cool system to use!

For it to be usable it tends to be a case of getting the percentage of the transparency right... 15% - 20% seems to be what's usable for me.
I've been testing that out since yesterday, works well, can't believe I didn't think of that!

Just got a new workstation computer at work ... It's running Redhat Enterprise Linux 7. Looks nice, quite similar to my Fedora laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val