Last Thing You Bought?

So, the unmeat spam is really tasty lol. Not too keen on the texture. They put something in there that tastes like bits of fat or something. Does spam have that? Maybe they are trying to make it realistic? When I opened the can I was grossed out...it looks and smells really bad. But I pan fried it in some vegan butter and the flavor is really nice. I just don’t know how to eat it or if I can get over the texture thing. I don’t like those chewy bits…

Last edited:
Reactions: SuicideBlonde
The so unmeat spam is really tasty lol. Not too keen on the texture. They put something in there that tastes like bits of fat or something. Does spam have that? Maybe they are trying to make it realistic? When I opened the can I was grossed out...it looks and smells really bad. But I pan fried it in some vegan butter and the flavor is really nice. I just don’t know how to eat it or if I can get over the texture thing. I don’t like those chewy bits…
Yes, Spam has chewy bits in it. I was always grossed out by Spam because I've never been a fan of pork or ham, but it was a cheap protein back in the day, and my mom used to fry it up and serve it with eggs for breakfast.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
I remember Spam from my pre-veg days. We didn't have it that much. It was okay; I think I preferred it (slightly) to cube steak or the ham that came in a sort of "roast" shape that was baked in the oven. Not being a picky eater, I ate the stuff, but never asked for seconds.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
There is a restaurant near me that does delicious vegan spam in batter. I had forgotten what it tasted like it must have been over 30 years since I had it.

Yes, Spam has chewy bits in it. I was always grossed out by Spam because I've never been a fan of pork or ham, but it was a cheap protein back in the day, and my mom used to fry it up and serve it with eggs for breakfast.

I hated Spam and can't remember where I ate it. At home, we always had wholesome good food and my mum never served junk stuff.

Reactions: PTree15
I hated Spam and can't remember where I ate it. At home, we always had wholesome good food and my mum never served junk stuff.
Most of our meals growing up were not junk, either, but Spam was a cheap way to get some protein, and I think my mom was trying to save a few bucks. :D I remember my mom tried Hamburger Helper once, and we all hated it, so we never had it again, lol. I also remember having sweet treats maybe once a week. My mom would bake something on the weekends, and that's when we ate it. We didn't have nightly snacks the way people have them now.

Most of our meals growing up were not junk, either, but Spam was a cheap way to get some protein, and I think my mom was trying to save a few bucks. :D I remember my mom tried Hamburger Helper once, and we all hated it, so we never had it again, lol. I also remember having sweet treats maybe once a week. My mom would bake something on the weekends, and that's when we ate it. We didn't have nightly snacks the way people have them now.
Our "cheap" meal was beef and gravy over rice and we thought it was the best food ever. It was actually cooked beef that came in a huge can. My uncle got it free...don't ask how because it was never discussed lol. It smelled like dog food, to be honest but after they doctored it up we just loved it, lol.

• Friendly
Our "cheap" meal was beef and gravy over rice and we thought it was the best food ever. It was actually cooked beef that came in a huge can. My uncle got it free...don't ask how because it was never discussed lol. It smelled like dog food, to be honest but after they doctored it up we just loved it, lol.
Elbow macaroni stretched out the cheap meals in my family, and I will always hate the regular smooth sided elbows, as well as ground beef

• Friendly
The 25 pounds of California rice I got at Costco turned out to be short grain. It's fine, I'm not happy about it but it's ok with my sons
1693431175005.png

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
How did I not see "sushi rice?" :rolleyes:

I stopped at Costco--got gas and things on sale.
22oz sprouted pumpkin seeds for 5.80
Impossible burgers 10 pack for 10.99 (hope I like them)

and yakisoba noodles for quick grab work lunch and the best peaches! Oh yeah, and spent more to get good looking baking potatoes

I also got my DMSO for my arthris pain and high arch slippers I got from amazon. My goodness I wish I'd gotten them a long time ago!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I loved the Impossible burger :master:
Now I need all the toppings, iceberg, tomato, pickles, red onion and good buns!

I always feel in September I have to prepare. It probably reminds me of going back to school. I have bought lots of things from Amazon. A 2024 calendar, a replacement filter for my air purifier, flea treatment for my pets, some LED candles, a new wallet for my husband and a new purse for me. I got myself some compression gloves that are supposed to help with arthritis.

There is a restaurant near me that does delicious vegan spam in batter. I had forgotten what it tasted like it must have been over 30 years since I had it.
The only way I could ever enjoy spam was fried in batter so that must be very tasty.

The only way I could ever enjoy spam was fried in batter so that must be very tasty.
It is. They do the best chips there too. They have vegan fish and burgers on the menu, but the spam is the best.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
I remember Spam as being very gross. A similar canned food I remembered liking as a kid was Hormel corned beef hash

Paid all kinds of bills today, including paying in advance for my foot/ankle CT scan. I swear I was on the phone an hour just scheduling , then more time spend online preregistering o_O.

Oh yeah, the Gentle Chefs "Whats cooking too" ebook I got has a vegan spam recipe! It involves mashed tofu and vwg. I've done that technique for sausage and can see how it would work

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I ended up throwing it out. 😞 And I have another can too. Maybe I'll pack a bag of groceries for the food pantry. You never know if they have someone who might be vegetarian/vegan.

I finally got the 6 quart dutch oven Aldi advertises once a year! I've so wanted one, and this one is just $30 and beautiful in white
I made my favorite rye bread - but appartently I didn't fully close the oven door so it turned off which I didn't discover till 30 min in :fp:
It still came out fine, but I feel it should have been better
I also want to do a recipe for a seitan pot roast that I can no longer find :unamused:
I also didn't think about the fact you need to preheat the pot :sigh:.
Seems when I finally get things I've obsessed over they never live up to my expectations