Last Thing You Bought?

What a lovely home KLS!
It looked like that for about 5 seconds...just long enough to take a picture. :lol:

But thank you. It’s humble, it’s home, and I love it. Wish I didn’t have to leave.

Reactions: Val
Oh, you have to leave? :(
Yes...poor planning in our younger years. We still have a mortgage and can’t carry it on our social security and my small pension. It’s on us. Which is why I can’t stress enough, to young people, plan ahead and be smart! :)

We will be fine. We have enough equity in the house to allow us to get a small condo. And if I get to move closer to the grandchildren it will be a plus. I’ve just become very comfortable here and I will miss my deer, turkeys, and other random wildlife.

I bought some new moisturiser from Clarins and some hair stuff from Aveda, both vegan, obviously.

I also bought some new clothes as Sainsbury's were having a 25% off sale.

I recently managed to buy a second used pedelec from eBay, so now my wife and I are daily commuting by bike and the car can remain unused :)

That was the cheapest possible way to make our daily commute (14 kilometers single distance) more environmentally friendly, and both my wife and I really love the exercise. Fun fact: While the older pedelec I bought first has a slightly noisy and robust Panasonic 26V motor that allows a constant riding speed of 27 kilometers per hour, the more modern, sleek, elegant, more advanced bike powered by newer state-of-the-art Bosch components I got second ... is a little disappointing because it stops the electric support by the engine around 24.5 kilometers per hour in order to precisely be in line with German law that mandates a top speed for electric bicycles of 25 kilometers per hour :rolleyes:. The other bike (also German-made) makes use of the 10% tolerance allowed by the law.

Good thing is that my wife, who was sceptical at first (“Why do you have to buy stuff? What’s wrong with just going by car???”) and did not even want to try it out, has admitted after the first day that it is actually really fun and a great and active way to get to work (at least now, in summer).

Reactions: PTree15 and Katrina
This lunch box. It is insulated to keep food cold. I will mostly use it for packing cold water and snacks for my longer runs or bike rides. I mean, for when I drive out to other trails around town. I can just leave it in my car for afterwards.

IMG_20190825_1405180 (2).jpg

Reactions: PTree15
Got some great deals at the produce market today! Thought I'd just pop in and get some peaches, but instead two huuuuugge zucchini, an organic cauliflower, 3 lbs of organic gala apples, a pint of blackberries, a bag of discounted but beautiful organic bananas- like 3 pounds! All for under $8!
I guess I'll be making banana bread and pudding! No one here cares that much for bananas anymore

I just remembered that I had a dream the other night that the Prime Minister Boris Johnson was making me vegan banana bread. I was saying "This is so nice of you" to him. 🤣 🤣 🤣

No idea what that dream means!
Hahahahaha...so funny! I just had a dream that I was at some function with President Obama and he asked ME if I would PLEASE sing the National anthem. So I did. It was sooooo cool! :lol:

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Cotbed for Elias' room :eek:
My sister had to buy 2 cotbeds for David: one - for their home in Koltushi, and one - for summer cottage at the country. +2 changing tables, 3 dining baby tables, 2 chairs for the car, 2 sitting baby carriages; a big plastic bathtub for the country, a sand box(!), a baby closet (in irritating pink-brown-ish color), etc., etc... Babies are expensive...🐣💰

• Wow
Reactions: hungryraccoon
I bought a cast iron dutch oven for a really good price through work. yayyy.
This is a really cool purchase!:up: When i was little, all cooking dishes (pots and skillets) were made of cast iron,- no aluminium what so far. And our meals always turned out great,- even my dad's super thin blinis. And all those pots and skillets served people for decades. Speaking of other cast iron device: we also had a thing that makes waffles, a kettle for the gas stove, gigantic spoon for stirring hot soup, etc., etc.,- i even can't remember now, how many cast iron things we (and our acquaintances) had. But the main joy was our "utyatnitza" (literally: "the dish for cooking duck", sorry). Dad used to make baked fish with carrots (very often, and i hated it), baked duck (rarely), and baked pork in béchamel sauce, with onions and melted cheese (very often, and i loved it, because i was a carnivore then). ...I'm thinking now: if i can make a veggie quiche (a huge one!), or a veggie version of shepherd's pie in this utyatnitza? (Especially since my acquaintances gave me a hint how to make a perfect form for a quiche out of dough, so it wouldn't fall apart and would match all the requirements of laws of thermodynamics).
Our utyatnitza (almost identical). I wonder: have you ever had a thing like this, and what do people do with it, if they want to make a vegan dish using this stuff?

IMG_20190829_232015.jpg

This is a really cool purchase!:up: When i was little, all cooking dishes (pots and skillets) were made of cast iron,- no aluminium what so far. And our meals always turned out great,- even my dad's super thin blinis. And all those pots and skillets served people for decades. Speaking of other cast iron device: we also had a thing that makes waffles, a kettle for the gas stove, gigantic spoon for stirring hot soup, etc., etc.,- i even can't remember now, how many cast iron things we (and our acquaintances) had. But the main joy was our "utyatnitza" (literally: "the dish for cooking duck", sorry). Dad used to make baked fish with carrots (very often, and i hated it), baked duck (rarely), and baked pork in béchamel sauce, with onions and melted cheese (very often, and i loved it, because i was a carnivore then). ...I'm thinking now: if i can make a veggie quiche (a huge one!), or a veggie version of shepherd's pie in this utyatnitza? (Especially since my acquaintances gave me a hint how to make a perfect form for a quiche out of dough, so it wouldn't fall apart and would match all the requirements of laws of thermodynamics).
Our utyatnitza (almost identical). I wonder: have you ever had a thing like this, and what do people do with it, if they want to make a vegan dish using this stuff?

View attachment 18180
I've wanted one like, but more just like top to add to my large skillet
I make a quiche with just firm tofu blended with herbs, some flax egg, lemon juice, nutritional yeast then stir in sauteed mushrooms, onions and either chopped broccoli or thawed drained chopped spinach. I first bake shredded potatoes while making the tofu mix, then pour the tofu mix over and bake about a half hour. I use my cast iron skillet with foil on top

I also love corn bread in it- this one-https://www.copymethat.com/r/qXyWnRN/country-vegan-cornbread/
That sounds perfect for your adija!

I've wanted one like, but more just like top to add to my large skillet
I make a quiche with just firm tofu blended with herbs, some flax egg, lemon juice, nutritional yeast then stir in sauteed mushrooms, onions and either chopped broccoli or thawed drained chopped spinach. I first bake shredded potatoes while making the tofu mix, then pour the tofu mix over and bake about a half hour. I use my cast iron skillet with foil on top

I also love corn bread in it- this one-https://www.copymethat.com/r/qXyWnRN/country-vegan-cornbread/
That sounds perfect for your adija!
Thanks!:hug: I've saved your recipe of quiche! Winter is coming... It means, hearty soup time is close, and i'll be just obligate to make my first quiche.:woo: :drool: