Lab-made cow's milk - would you drink it?

Would you drink lab-made cow's milk?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
No soy milk for me...unless it's chocolate. I have a store brand that is really good!

Reactions: ledboots
I read on a cancer website that there was a link made between soya foods and bladder cancer so we switched from soya milk to oat milk and now we are on almond milk. I didn't like coconut milk (I like the milk you can get in the cans but not the drink IYSWIM) and I think I like hazelnut milk the best.

I think there is a link between many things and cancer. A lot of research is paid for by companies with vested interest, like, in this case, I wouldn't be surprised if the research was paid for by the dairy industry, or the meat industry.

Although I did read that consuming soya reduces the risk of prostate cancer.....

The more you read about cancer the more foods you want to avoid.:D My husband has bladder cancer and he has had thyroid issues and soya may have a harmful effect so I thought it was best to reduce it. He still has soya foods but we just dropped the soya milk. To be honest I don't drink plant milks that much anyway, only in cereal or tea.

This report was on my local news last night. The last line made me so happy:
“We're the only mammals that consume milk as an adult and the milk is from another mammal,” Hochberg said.

It's one of the points made to me years ago that helped me start my vegan journey:

Reactions: Scorpius
I don't like dairy milk, never did. When I was a kid, my mother tried to get me to drink it, but I refused. I usually had to mix chocolate syrup into it in order to drink it. So, no, even if it was lab-made, I wouldn't drink it.

In the works: lab-made vegan milk : TreeHugger (December 9, 2014)

Would you consider this product vegan?

Do we need another word to distinguish between vegans who consume traditional vegan food and those who will include artificially produced animal products? (And by "artificially produced animal products" I mean products that involve the use of animal DNA to make products that are nutritionally more or less indistinguishable from traditionally produced animal products.)

I wouldn't, but whatever, most meat and dairy consumers don't really care where their food comes from so, for them I guess this would be better, provided the lab isn't producing the same or more greenhouse emissions. Depends on how this is made. I guess I'm open to it if it would save the cows.

Also this lab-made milk isn't vegan. :rolleyes:

No, I doubt it will be entirely cruelty free. Same with lab grown meat. Plus we don't need their milk. :/ Almond milk is good :) I weaned myself off drinking milk 5 years ago, I have no interest in going back LOL
It wouldn't be vegan because it still does require animal exploitation

Last edited:
In the works: lab-made vegan milk : TreeHugger (December 9, 2014)

Would you consider this product vegan?

Do we need another word to distinguish between vegans who consume traditional vegan food and those who will include artificially produced animal products? (And by "artificially produced animal products" I mean products that involve the use of animal DNA to make products that are nutritionally more or less indistinguishable from traditionally produced animal products.)
I'm not sure how "vegan" it is- depends on if the "start-up" material is from actual milk. Regardless, I'm not touching that. Milk is gross to me personally, so I don't want it even in cow-free form :)

I like the idea of it being used to make human milk (for babies). Apart from that - no. Wouldn't touch it, for reasons others have stated.

ps. anyone who hates soymilk try the 'light' kind. i find it doesnt have the disgusting aftertaste