Lab-made cow's milk - would you drink it?

Would you drink lab-made cow's milk?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Okay- maybe I'm wierd, but good-quality firm tofu in its plain state, before it's cooked in any way, reminds me a lot of how cottage cheese used to taste. Please don't go and buy some firm tofu to experiment with it if you weren't going to anyway, but if you get a chance, you might want to try it and see how close it comes. But if you liked cottage cheese creamy-style, it might not be close to that.

I tried to make some cottage cheese with tofu an nutritional yeast, but it didn't really work.

Aside from just the moral issues of consuming lab grown animal products is also the consideration that, animal-sourced or not, milk is not the healthiest to a grown, weaned animal or another species. People who are vegan at least in part because of health reasons would probably still pass on lab-grown meat/dairy/etc.

No - for all of the reasons people already mentioned. I already like plant milk, don't see the point, won't be as healthy, etc.

And how will they be getting this DNA?

Another question (which can not likely be answered in this forum) is would omni's drink it? If it means less cows are abused and dairy farms go under - then it's a win.

But Indian Summer's observation still takes the cake. (Milk created from human DNA.) I feel like just the conversation around that topic would really bolster the go-vegan arguments. You're going to have those opposed to it for scientific reasons (who's milk DNA am I getting?) the 'yuck' factor reasoning (which is pretty laughable) and more - but in any case this gets people thinking about it which can only yield positive results.

I was also thinking (like Indian Summer) that human milk would be better for humans than cows milk, which is bad for your health whether it's lab-made or not.

I don't know why human milk is considered yuck. Especially when one knows how women's breasts continue to fascinate most men all their life !

I just think the whole idea of drinking milk from another species when one is no longer a baby is weird.

To sum up my real thoughts : vegan = not consuming animal products. Full stop. Punkt schluss like the Germans say.

I just think the whole idea of drinking milk from another species when one is no longer a baby is weird.
It IS weird. But somewhere, someone, a long time ago started drinking it and it caught on, although I have absolutely no idea how that happened. And now, many people just don't think about it. It goes to show how ridiculously strong the conditioning someone grows up with can be.

Reactions: Clueless Git
Spang, that is the funniest thing I've heard today. I'll have to remember that one!

Reactions: Spang
I wouldn't drink milk from a cow or any other animal in any form - lab created or otherwise.

Exactly. I actually hated the taste of dairy milk even when I wasn't vegan. I remember the horror of having to drink the daily bottle of milk with the blue straw at primary school.

A thought occurred to me: if they can do this with cow's milk, then surely they can do it with human milk as well. That will be great for those who can't breast feed.

:up:That is a very good point.

I will drink lab-created cow's milk when I become a baby cow.

:rofl:

There isn't really a place in my life I need cow's milk to fill. I gave it up years ago and I don't miss it at all.

I can only think of like three foods I actually miss from before I went vegan and milk isn't on that list.

Exactly. I actually hated the taste of dairy milk even when I wasn't vegan. I remember the horror of having to drink the daily bottle of milk with the blue straw at primary school.

:up:That is a very good point.

:rofl:

I loved it and we always used t to make a hole with a skewer in the milk top. The whole class did it in turn.:D It was my breakfast as my mother never got up to make it for me.

However, I don't miss the taste of dairy milk anymore ; just wish that non dairy milks were cheaper.

I loved it and we always used t to make a hole with a skewer in the milk top. The whole class did it in turn.:D It was my breakfast as my mother never got up to make it for me.

Ha, I used to try and get a classmate to drink mine for me as I hated it so much.:rofl:

I sort of liked the small bottles of milk the school gave us, although I'm not sure why.....milk has always seemed a bit wrong to me.

Yes, because cow's milk is SOOO HEALTHY (sarcasm off)

There are no valid reasons at all to consume the stuff.

When I was younger there were times I loved it and would guzzle it straight out of the carton, and other times I couldn't stand the taste and wondered how I ever liked it.

Now, I love almond milk (all flavors) and soy milk (just chocolate) all the time. No waffling back and forth like with cow's milk. :D

When I was younger there were times I loved it and would guzzle it straight out of the carton, and other times I couldn't stand the taste and wondered how I ever liked it.

Now, I love almond milk (all flavors) and soy milk (just chocolate) all the time. No waffling back and forth like with cow's milk. :D

Almond milk is by far my favourite non dairy drink. However, it is too expensive over here so I end up buying soya milk.