Kill vs. No Kill Shelters

Maybe I was naive in this, but I didn't think the term 'no-kill' automatically prevented a shelter from putting an animal to sleep in a medical situation, the same way we sometimes have to do with our beloved companion animals. If the animal is sick and in pain, and there is only realistically the possibility of a slow and agonising death, I believe it's the kindest thing to do. I want to set up a shelter like this when I retire. I do also understand, however, the money side of things - the sad truth is that it would be impossible for all shelters no be no-kill. The thing I'm wrestling with is where to adopt my future kittys from. I want to support no-kill shelters because they are more in line with my ethics, but if I adopt from a kill shelter I may have directly saved an animal's life.

I don't think supporting a kill shelter in that way is like supporting a pet shop or the meat industry. They aren't making any profit from it or exploiting animals, they're probably just doing their best with a crappy situation. I wouldn't consider it against my own ethics to take animals that would be killed from kill shelters, because although technically you're opening up another space for an animal to come in and potentially be killed, it could equally open up a space for an animal to be adopted.

I don't think supporting a kill shelter in that way is like supporting a pet shop or the meat industry. They aren't making any profit from it or exploiting animals, they're probably just doing their best with a crappy situation. I wouldn't consider it against my own ethics to take animals that would be killed from kill shelters, because although technically you're opening up another space for an animal to come in and potentially be killed, it could equally open up a space for an animal to be adopted.

I didn't say that kill shelters were against my ethics, just that no-kill is more in line with them, as in, I'd love to see all shelters move towards a no-kill policy. Supporting shelters of any kind is a good thing. If people adopt from kill shelters over no-kill because the animal would die otherwise, then the no-kill shelters would have to shut down because of the lack of support and funds, and I don't want that. I equally don't want animals to die when I could have helped. Maybe I'll adopt from a kill shelter and donate to a no-kill.

I'm fairly sure no kill only applies to healthy animals? :confused:

I didn't say that kill shelters were against my ethics, just that no-kill is more in line with them, as in, I'd love to see all shelters move towards a no-kill policy. Supporting shelters of any kind is a good thing. If people adopt from kill shelters over no-kill because the animal would die otherwise, then the no-kill shelters would have to shut down because of the lack of support and funds, and I don't want that. I equally don't want animals to die when I could have helped. Maybe I'll adopt from a kill shelter and donate to a no-kill.

That's interesting, I'd never even thought about this. I think it's the same really, if you adopt from a no-kill, another animal can go there who, at least in the smaller shelters I've experienced, would otherwise be taken to the dog wardens and could be killed.

I think I'll consider less about which shelter I want to help, and the animal in particular, because the one thing I'd really hate to do is adopt a pet I couldn't cope with and give it back :( you see it so often in shelters and it drives me mad "we adopted this dog, and after a whole week they wouldn't settle down, so have it back", honestly, A WEEK, as if that's enough time for a dog whose been in a kennel for months to get used to a completely new home, new people, new area, new lifestyle, new rules, new toilet-habits, etc. :mad:

I don't like the idea of kill shelters, but I understand the economics of the situation.

It's a shame any beings life is based on whether or not they can be afforded.

And usually, those with the cutest face get adopted first. Which is a horrible criteria.

We got our pooch at a no kill shelter that was doing a brisk business (the economy was booming at the time). We needed a watch dog (after a break in when we lived in AZ), and we chose one dog over another because the second dog had a damaged voice box and could barely bark. Even though dog#2 would have been more effective (a german shepard mix #1 vs. a pit bull #2). the PB's name was cannonball. I sometimes wonder what ever happened to him. Although I'm glad that his former owners had the wherwithall to place him in a no-kill shelter given his "disability".

And usually, those with the cutest face get adopted first. Which is a horrible criteria.
I remember that black cats are the hardest to adopt out. I myself have a weakness for ginger cats, and I guess it's common for people to go for the ones that stand out. Black cats are so common and usually not distinctive looking.

I swore that the next time I adopt an animal I'm going to go for the most unadoptable one in the place, assuming I'm equipped to provide him/her with proper care, allowing for medical issues etc.

Reactions: Rosie1
I always want the ones nobody else does anyway.

My boyfriend likes to joke that this is why I'm with him :p

lol that is how I got my first pup. Two wee ones were abandoned. My mother said we could keep one. My brother and sister wanted the female who was quite pretty. I wanted the boy who was ugly-cute. My begging won out and we got both!:starshower:

Reactions: thefadedone
Yeah, I tend to go for the hard luck cases.

I don't think it really matters whether you adopt from a no-kill shelter or a kill shelter - in either case, you are opening a space and giving someone else a chance.

Financial support OTOH - I generally give that to no kill groups. The kill shelters tend to be paid for by tax dollars, while the no kill ones are almost always dependent on private support. Donations such as beds and blankets to make the animals more comfortable - those I try to get to wherever the animals are in greatest need of comfort.

I don't like the idea of kill shelters, but I understand the economics of the situation.

It's a shame any beings life is based on whether or not they can be afforded.

We got our pooch at a no kill shelter that was doing a brisk business (the economy was booming at the time). We needed a watch dog (after a break in when we lived in AZ), and we chose one dog over another because the second dog had a damaged voice box and could barely bark. Even though dog#2 would have been more effective (a german shepard mix #1 vs. a pit bull #2). the PB's name was cannonball. I sometimes wonder what ever happened to him. Although I'm glad that his former owners had the wherwithall to place him in a no-kill shelter given his "disability".

In general, a GSD will make a better guard than a pit bull. Hopefully Cannonball's issue wasn't that the previous owners had him debarked. :(

Reactions: peacock
I don't think it's any worse of a reason than "I think they're cute" or the other reasons people choose a particular dog. Unless you're going to get rid of him/her if they don't prove to be a good guard dog, which I'm sure isn't the case with beancounter.

I saw the other day that the people next door have a picture of their Staffie in their window to show he lives there. I think certain types of dogs do put off burglars but they treat him well from what I've seen. I wouldn't try to break into their house just from the way he barks at me through the fence, not that I make a habit of robbing people.:rofl:

I have tried to research it but I can't work out if there are any kill shelters in Scotland. We have Dogs Trust and Cats Protection which im pretty sure are no-kill and the Scottish SPCA which I'm not sure about (but which i understand is not affiliated with the RSPCA).

I remember that black cats are the hardest to adopt out. I myself have a weakness for ginger cats, and I guess it's common for people to go for the ones that stand out. Black cats are so common and usually not distinctive looking.

I swore that the next time I adopt an animal I'm going to go for the most unadoptable one in the place, assuming I'm equipped to provide him/her with proper care, allowing for medical issues etc.

Similarly with dogs there seem to be hundreds of Staffordshire bull terriers in shelters (here anyway), I wonder if it's because they are rumoured to be aggressive, or just because they are not seen as cute enough :(

I once read a poem about adopting black cats, I can't find it now but I remember it was very sweet and sad. All our boys (3) have been black cats and all our girls (4) have been torties, this is despite both my mum and I liking tabby markings, the cats we have had kind of chose us and we wouldn't have had them any other way!

Similarly with dogs there seem to be hundreds of Staffordshire bull terriers in shelters (here anyway), I wonder if it's because they are rumoured to be aggressive, or just because they are not seen as cute enough :(
I once read a poem about adopting black cats, I can't find it now but I remember it was very sweet and sad. All our boys (3) have been black cats and all our girls (4) have been torties, this is despite both my mum and I liking tabby markings, the cats we have had kind of chose us and we wouldn't have had them any other way!

I adopted one of my dogs from All Dogs Matter in London and they have special discounts on Staffies as they are so unpopular, especially brindles. They took in some brindle pups that a breeder took to a vet to be put to sleep because they were "too ugly" for her to sell.:argh:

I have five black cats myself, I think they are gorgeous.:)

I think black cats are the most beautiful - they have always been my favorites, from early childhood. As an adult, though, it wasn't until three years ago that a black cat finally joined the family - the strays that have ended up with me have overwhelmingly been some variation of ginger.