Keep feeling starving about one hour after eating.

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
However, what is happening now is that I feel really full and satisfied, then after half an hour to an hour I become starving again. This is in contrast to my earlier problems with hyponatremia where I would need to consume a huge amount of salt with my meals to feel full, but then once full I wouldn't feel hungry again for at least 3 to 4 hours. I feel very full now soon after eating meals comprised of say brown rice, bean stew, and a large serving of vegetables. But after about an hour I become absolutely starving again.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you go to https://www.pcrm.org/ and see if there is a way to contact them, explain in detail your issues and send it through and hope maybe they can put you in contact with someone that can help.

I am not sure that anyone here has the professional ability to help you.

I hope you are able to solve it.

Emma JC

Reactions: David3 and Lou
I do agree with Emma, but I am an amateur nutrition and health detective. Of course, the only issues I try to solve are other people's. When it comes to MY body - then I go to the professionals. When there is risk TO ME I don't take any chances.

So with that said i think its a fiber/gut bacteria issue. I think the author that covers this best is Joel Fuhrman. I think you can even email him and ask him what consultation costs. I think the PCRM does consultations, too.

In the meantime, you can start a ChronOmeter dairy. Just use the default settings for now. Later on, you can plug in some different nutrition goals as you become aware of them. you can PM me about them if you want.

CronOmeter is really easy to read and understand. So any red flags will pop up (in red). Also, look at your fiber intake. Most nonvegans are really low in fiber. You shouldn't be but maybe you are. That is my best thought about your symptoms. The way I understand it is that the gut biome is very complex. Different bacteria have different things they eat but many compete with each other. And some eat each other. so it takes time for the good bacteria to take over.

Both good and bad bacteria can generate hormones and other kinds of neuron transmitters. Some actually send out signals that make you want to eat sweets, another fat. And some interfere with your blood sugar and insulin levels. That is my best guess about your hunger.

Another thought I just had is hydration. Sometimes your brain can misinterpret thirst for hunger. So if you get hungry have a glass of water or tea. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Reactions: Emma JC
When I went back to consuming a large amount of sodium (around 1700 to 3400 mgs of sodium) whenever this starts happening about an hour after meals, the problem immediately goes away and I don't think about food for around 3 to 4 hours again, as though I've just consumed a full meal. I have to do this every time after I eat however. Also, this is when I have already put a huge amount of salt on my meals.

I don't understand why I still need to consume so much sodium.

The people in this thread are suggesting my problem with feeling starving soon after eating could be parasites. I am having a test done on my stools (a urine test that I already got back suggested no abnormalities).

Is there a relationship between sodium and parasites? Could the sodium I am consuming be killing certain parasites?

I do think that the parasite thing is worth checking out but my money is still on either hydration or the but bacteria thing.

I even sort of remember reading that our gut bacteria can create cravings for salt. I tried to find some references but couldn't find any. But I did find plenty of info that backed up the idea that the gut bacteria can cause other kinds of cravings. Sugar and fat are well documented.

I did, however, find this

I got the results of a stool test back and I don't have any parasites. I got a referral to see a gastroenterologist so that they can check for leaky gut, inflammatory bowels, etc. but I doubt they will find anything.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I got the results of a stool test back and I don't have any parasites. I got a referral to see a gastroenterologist so that they can check for leaky gut, inflammatory bowels, etc. but I doubt they will find anything.

I'm sorry to hear about that. What is your typical list of meals per day ?

• Friendly
I'm varying what I'm eating at the moment, so I couldn't really tell you. All I can really tell you in terms of the overall picture is that I consume around 4000 calories a day. Each meal is around 1000 calories. Very low fat (around 5 per cent of calories), very high carb (around 85 to 90% of calories) and around 10 to 15% of calories coming from protein. I tried varying my macronutrients (e.g., replacing some carbohydrates for protein or fat), but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference with anything.

I've also gone back to consuming around 20 grams of sodium (i.e., 50 grams of salt) per day, or possibly more (and before you ask, no, it doesn't affect my blood pressure - if anything it seems like my blood pressure readings actually go up when I reduce my salt intake). I try not to exercise and remain as sedentary as possible (aside from walking to get from place to place) because it seems like exercise just makes my problems worse.

I just started eating white rice a few days ago rather than brown rice or other whole grains because I got sick of brown rice and I notice that the white rice feels a lot more filling for longer. But I don't understand why.

I'm varying what I'm eating at the moment, so I couldn't really tell you. All I can really tell you in terms of the overall picture is that I consume around 4000 calories a day. Each meal is around 1000 calories. Very low fat (around 5 per cent of calories), very high carb (around 85 to 90% of calories) and around 10 to 15% of calories coming from protein. I tried varying my macronutrients (e.g., replacing some carbohydrates for protein or fat), but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference with anything.

I've also gone back to consuming around 20 grams of sodium (i.e., 50 grams of salt) per day, or possibly more (and before you ask, no, it doesn't affect my blood pressure - if anything it seems like my blood pressure readings actually go up when I reduce my salt intake). I try not to exercise and remain as sedentary as possible (aside from walking to get from place to place) because it seems like exercise just makes my problems worse.

I just started eating white rice a few days ago rather than brown rice or other whole grains because I got sick of brown rice and I notice that the white rice feels a lot more filling for longer. But I don't understand why.

A healthy balance would be 30 % protein, 20-30 % fat, 60 % carbs. Perhaps you should really look into the long term effects of over consuming salt.