Kale love

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've noticed that recently it's become the new 'in' vegetable and is being called a superfood.

I've been adding it raw to salads, but recently had it sauteed with some spices. :lick: I didn't realize it could be so good either way. I have yet to try kale chips though.

How do you usually eat it?

I like it sautéed with garlic. Or made into kale chips. (I like mine with garlic powder and/or cayenne pepper.) I need to learn to make Whole Foods' garlicky kale salad at home, as I could eat pounds of that stuff.

we eat in in our smoothie every day--makes it a lovely bright green. We *adore* this salad--http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/03/27/sunshine-in-a-bowl you'll need to scroll down through family pictures for the recipe. it is lovely ald "cheesy" and garlicky and yum. I also like to saute until bright green and slightly wilted then add 1 tsp toasted sesame oil, 1 tsp maple syrup.

Rabbitluvr--how do you cook your kale chips?

I just bake my kale to make the chips. I forget what temperature I use.
I oil them, then spread on a baking sheet and sprinkle on the dry spices.

When I find it on sale, I'll make a double batch, and then sometimes I make half with garlic powder and half with cayenne pepper. Then after they're baked and cooled I mix them together in a bowl.

No matter how many kale chips I make at a time, they don't last until the next day, though. :p

Oh, I also like kale in soup. Sometimes I make a soup that's basically assorted canned beans, some canned tomatoes, veggie broth, and pasta. I like cutting the kale into ribbons and tossing it in this soup.

I put it in mashed potatoes, too! I start the potato chunks cooking, then peel and toss in whole garlic cloves. When the water just starts to boil I add my pieces of kale. When the potatoes are done, drain and mash everything together with Earth Balance and almond milk.

I love kale chips! Reciently I made potato soup with kale in it. Turned out pretty good, if I say so myself.

What spices did you use, that sounds great !

What do I not use? Garlic, cumin, Italian seasoning, (I have a dried pepper 6 pack thing) a bit of each of the peppers, black pepper, and a bit of sriracha. My recipes are spice it till it as the mood hits you. I make thing up as I go.

What do I not use? Garlic, cumin, Italian seasoning, (I have a dried pepper 6 pack thing) a bit of each of the peppers, black pepper, and a bit of sriracha. My recipes are spice it till it as the mood hits you. I make thing up as I go.
The best cooks always do this and can't give me recipes! :D

Ooh....IS mentioned a kale thread. I asked two weeks ago at the farmers' market here and they said that it should be available tomorrow (market is only every other week...unbelievable). We've had it mostly sauteed with garlic or with "Italian" herbs and chili peppers, or reduced in soups, etc. I'm hoping to get the bean hooked on it too, as it's super nutritious, but the taste can be quite strong so I'm not sure how she'll take to it at first. We hide spinach in lots of stuff and she does alright though.

I feel like I have to steam it to death in order to get it tender enough to eat...it's a tough little green. I would eat more of it if it weren't for that. Unless I'm doing something wrong...I can't even imagine eating it raw in a salad. :(

I feel like I have to steam it to death in order to get it tender enough to eat...it's a tough little green. I would eat more of it if it weren't for that. Unless I'm doing something wrong...I can't even imagine eating it raw in a salad. :(
I try to get the smaller, younger kale leaves and chop off the stems if they're tough.
There is a great mix in my grocery of prewashed half kale and half mixed lettuces. It's in a clear box and I think the company is Organic Girl. Makes a great salad!

Reactions: KLS52
What's up with collards? o_O
They never seem to get mentioned here.

Collards <3
Kale:confused:

I've never had collards, but I'm willing to try them. Do you use/prepare/eat them in the same way as kale? What do they taste like?