Just found out

alexgonevegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
That bagels aren't Vegan. Apparently the majority are made with some kind of egg involved. It's a sad day for us all. Do you know of any vegan bagel alternatives? Here in the UK we have Bagel Nash, which I don't think is Vegan either.

Pretzel bagels are usually not made with eggs. That's my go to bagel anyway. I don't know of any specific brands.

Daves Killer Bread organic bagels are soooo good! I'm not sure if you have them there though. I have seen recipes for homemade that look quite easy.

I agree, bagels are not super difficult to make yourself.

Classic Everything Style Bagel Recipe -

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unrefined cane juice sugar, jaggery, or coconut palm sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
  • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 4 liters of water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions:
  • Place the water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl and let the yeast activate for 10 minutes.
  • In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour and salt together. Once the yeast has activated, mix the water mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. Knead for 6-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let rise for 1 hour while covered with a damp kitchen towel.
  • Mix all of your bagel toppings (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, coarse salt, and onion flakes) in a small bowl.
  • Boil 4 liters of water with the 1 teaspoon of salt and baking soda. Once boiling lower the heat. After the one hour proofing, then shape your bagels.
  • Take out your dough and divide it into eight equal pieces. To form the bagels, form each piece into a small bun and lay them on a hard surface. While keeping the seams (if any) underneath, from the top, poke the middle of the bun with one of your index fingers. Once your index has reached the hard surface beneath, pick up the bagel and enlarge the hole so that your two index fingers by making a circular motion.
  • Place on the baking mat until you have shaped all of the bagels.
  • Place the bagels into the boiling water for about a minute on each side.
  • Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Bake for 25 minutes, start checking them at the 25-minute mark. Bake longer if needed. Place on a cooling rack.
Adding barley malt syrup to the boiling water bath gives the bagels a pleasing chewy texture with a hint of sweetness.

Pretzel bagels are usually not made with eggs. That's my go to bagel anyway. I don't know of any specific brands.

do they glaze the top surface by brushing with egg perhaps?

very annoying bakers doing that. & it stinks.