Is sugar processed with bone char vegan?

Riley

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Firstly, I'd like to point out that I know it is still disgusting. I'd also like to say that I know this probably varies person to person. But I've been thinking about it lately, and does it support the death of animals by using sugar processed with bone char? I mean, I doubt that these companies wouldn't kill animals themselves in order to use the bone char, so isn't it just a byproduct of the meat and dairy industries? So long as we don't support the meat and dairy industries, would we be creating the demand for animal deaths by still supporting sugar companies that use bone char? Or am I completely off about this?

I think you'll find certain people will and wont use refined sugar, technically the sugar doesn't contain anything from an animal so you could say it's vegan but then an animal byproduct was used in the manufacturing process, I guess it depends on how the person feels about it. I wouldn't say there's a right or wrong answer, there's going to be conflict.

There are unrefined sugars out there, for example I use this which is not as sweet as white sugar but I've come to love it. :)

I think you'll find certain people will and wont use refined sugar, technically the sugar doesn't contain anything from an animal so you could say it's vegan but then an animal byproduct was used in the manufacturing process, I guess it depends on how the person feels about it. I wouldn't say there's a right or wrong answer, there's going to be conflict.

There are unrefined sugars out there, for example I use this which is not as sweet as white sugar but I've come to love it. :)
That makes sense, I used Simple Truth's Organic Sugar, but I'm not sure if I would be fine with refined sugar in other products, like snacks. I also don't know how I feel about palm oil, some say it's very destructive to the environment, and others say it's the most sustainable oil we have.

Sounds good :)

Palm oil is somewhat similar to refined sugar in terms of whether it's "okay" to consume or not. Over the past few years I've come to understand that nobody is 100% vegan, it's impossible to be. Doing your best is what counts, there's no competition.

Sounds good :)

Palm oil is somewhat similar to refined sugar in terms of whether it's "okay" to consume or not. Over the past few years I've come to understand that nobody is 100% vegan, it's impossible to be. Doing your best is what counts, there's no competition.
Thanks! That makes sense. :)