Is Milk Bad for Cats

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I have been away for a few weeks and have discovered a poor abandoned cat in the garden in my residence. According to a neighbour her poor kitten died and she seems to have been abandoned. She is very thin and some neighbours are feeding her with cow's milk -even putting out in the sun and it is very hot. I put her out some dry cat food and a bowl of water which she hasn't eaten.

I'm going to call the animal shelter next week and see whether they can come and take her for a check up.

I have always read that milk is bad for cats but have no idea whether this is true or not. The only thing is that she seems to be licking away at the huge bowl that the neighbour's children are giving her.

Poor mite, I feel so sorry for her.

So I heard.

Probably why it's mostly depicted that people give them cream instead of milk, which has lower lactose content.

Nah, since it's due to lactose intolerance, cream isn't equally bad, even if it isn't the perfect thing for them to consume.

Small quantities shouldn't prove harmful though.

They are feeding the poor mite with huge bowls of milk not cream. Should I mind my own business or go and tell them to stop feeding her ?

It's not impossible that it's causing her tummy problems, which may contribute to her being thin, so yes, if you feel confident in yourself and the cooperation of your neighbors, then you should give them suggestions for better things to give to the cat.

I'm always surprised that milk and cream are supposed to be "traditional" food for cats, since cats are lactose intolerant. My own vet said that he doesn't recommend giving milk to cats because it can give them diarrhea.

If the milk this cat is drinking is causing stomach upset, that's probably why she hasn't eaten the cat food. So she should get to a vet ASAP for a checkup - she may have parasites as well, and perhaps she can be hand fed or given special cat food that's easy on the tummy, and treated for the parasites.

They love milk, but it isn't good for them. As long as they are putting out the milk, she probably won't eat the food. If you can get a can of wet food, it might tempt her to eat something a little more nutritious than the milk. I agree with getting her to a vet ASAP.

Not all cats are lactose intolerant, but it's best to avoid cow's milk in any case.

Goat's milk on the other hand is fine for cats.

The reason she's not eating the dry food probably has nothing to do with the milk, whether or not it's causing her digestive problems. Many cats simply don't like dry food, and who can blame them? Also, many cats who have been living outdoors, whether feral or long abandoned, don't seem to even recognize dry food as food, and it doesn't have the attractive (to cats at least) aroma that canned food has.

Please get some canned food for her. If the milk has been causing diarrhea, she's probably dehydrated, and canned food will help with that also.

The above has just confirmed what I thought. Thank you for your advise which is most helpful as I don't have a cat.
I'll call the animal shelter on Monday and see whether they can come and pick her up.

One other thing: You said her kitten died? Were there any other kittens? So is this is a mother cat with no kittens? If this is the case then she's lactating. If so, this could probably be very uncomfortable for her to be lactating and having no kittens to feed.

One other thing: You said her kitten died? Were there any other kittens? So is this is a mother cat with no kittens? If this is the case then she's lactating. If so, this could probably be very uncomfortable for her to be lactating and having no kittens to feed.

This is what a neighbour has told me. Her nipples seem apparent but as I have said, I'm not familiar with cats. We often get poor abandonded cats that set up home in the garden.

After numerous phone calls, apparently this has to be handled via the police. So I am now awaiting someone from the animal welfare to come and pick the mite up.

There was a big drama here and someone has chucked away all the food and water bowls. The woman from the animal humane society called me and ticked me off further to visit by another member. She said that there was nothing wrong with the cat and it was sprayed ! That neighbours had told her that the cat was ok etc, etc;
I replied that I wasn't a vet and that I had very little knowledge of cats but could see it was in distress and abondend.

Than the local police station called me asking me what had happened to which I replied that I go tticked off. He was far nicer and said that I could call anytime if I found an animal in distress. Later on the father of the two girls that were feeding it milk wanted to know why I told the little ones not to do it and had I taken the milk bowl away !!!!

. To which I replied that giving milk was dangerous and furthermore someone had taken all 3 bowls away and the poor cat was left without anything to drink or eat in this awful heat.

:(:( :(:(

The woman that the hs sent over talked to neighbours who said that the cat was fine. The former said that she was sprayed and that she wasn't in need of any special care so wouldn't be taking the mite anywhere.

I went out this evening and the poor thing is nowhere to be seen. Scared off ?

I spotted the poor mite nestled amongst some succulent flowers.

The bowl of dry food and water has been taken away. She must be very thirsty and hungary. It looks like we're back to square one except for the milk, which is no longer.