Is a refrigerator a necessity?

Whole wheat contains all of the lipids (oils) unlike white (refined) wheat. Whole wheat goes rancid quickly after opening if not kept cold and sealed. I keep my whole wheat flour bag in a large freezer bag, squeezed to evacuate as much air as possible, and stored at the back of the fridge. Even unopened bags go rancid rather quickly, and nothing is worse than rancid baked goods...
Good point with the flour. Flax meal is the same. I also keep all of my nuts in the fridge as those will go rancid as well b/c of the oil content (I usually buy huge bags of nuts from Costco). For me and where I live, a fridge is an absolute necessity. It's not b/c I like cold food (I really don't), but I can't afford to let food spoil. Food waste is one of my hugest pet peeves.

I just don't know how people do it. Right now, we cannot leave *anything* out. The fruit flies are taking over! I normally leave tomatoes out because they lose their flavor when refrigerated. But the fruit flies are coming after FRESH food with no broken skin. It's driving us insane. I seriously believe living without a refrigerator is entirely dependent upon the climate where you happen to live, and the season.

I had a fruit fly issue this summer also, especially next to my food recycling bag which sits on the counter. So I googled ways to catch fruit flys and found quite a few. The trap I used and it worked well, was a tall jar with a piece of paper and a piece of banana peel with a bit of banana still in it, on the bottom. Works like a lobster trap, they can get it but not out. Every so often I would release them outside.

Like this but with banana peel, not vinegar (it didn't work for me).

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
I don't have any problems with fruit flies. but my sister has big-time problems. And whenever she gives me some vegetables or fruits they always come with fruit flies. But for some reason, they never persist at my house. It's a mystery.

I'm sending my sister your FF article.

And I like that you take your flies and release them into the wild.

Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
We cook and bake from scratch, and in large quantities. A fridge and freezer are absolute necessities in this household. Both are full pretty much all the time.

Reactions: PTree15
We cook and bake from scratch, and in large quantities. A fridge and freezer are absolute necessities in this household. Both are full pretty much all the time.
Same here. I have all sorts of single-serving meals and other foods I've prepared (10 containers of pesto, for example). I would not be happy without a refrigerator.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Same here. I have all sorts of single-serving meals and other foods I've prepared (10 containers of pesto, for example). I would not be happy without a refrigerator.

Pesto is a miracle food to have in the freezer. 👍 I also like to have small containers of pureed vegetables and pulses such as lentils for making sauces and soya loaf or soya balls.:)