Ironic?

Daniel Swords

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Burger King has a plant based Whopper (very good I think) and KFC has plant based chicken fingers (which I have not yet tried). How ironic living near New Orleans that most of my favorite restaurants have nothing to offer and becoming a vegan (for kindness reasons) is driving me to eat at these fast foods which I used to shun :).

Reactions: Poppy
Burger King has a plant based Whopper (very good I think) and KFC has plant based chicken fingers (which I have not yet tried). How ironic living near New Orleans that most of my favorite restaurants have nothing to offer and becoming a vegan (for kindness reasons) is driving me to eat at these fast foods which I used to shun :).

Not sure it fits into my idea of irony. But to tell you the truth I've always had trouble distinguishing irony. Maybe I'm Irony challenged.

Anyway, I haven't been to Louisiana in quite a few years but I have been in the south since I've been vegan (oh wait, does Southern Florida still count as the south? Or it just a suburb of NYC? ).

I admit that there is a good possibility that living in Norhtern California, I could have altered perceptions about what is available in restaurants. But I can always find a vegan option in a restaurant. Even steak houses have salads. Most salads can be veganized. Although I admit that at some point it becomes ridiculous.

I'll have the Shrimp Louie. But hold the mayo and the seafood. For vegetarians, this is much easier. I'll have the Cobb without the meat.

On occasion, I've ordered stuff that is not on the menu. One time when hard-pressed at a Greek Pizzaria (What? you don't have them there?) I just got spaghetti with olive oil.

Again this might be a Nor Cal thing, but doesn't every hamburger place have a Beyond or Impossible Burger option?

Pizza places always have a vegetarian pizza. And if you are vegan you can just order the pizza without cheese.

Mexican restaurants are good choices too. most Mexican restaurants already have at least one vegetarian option on the menu, the vegetarian burrito. Just get it without cheese or sour cream. Fajitas are a good choice too.

For me, the best places are Asian Restaurants. Asian restaurants don't use butter or milk or cheese. Which makes things much simpler for vegans. And most of them have at least one tofu dish on the menu.

Reactions: Hog
I get your point. Indeed it felt very odd to order our first Impossible Whoppers at BK when they first come out. It's kind of like going in to a Taco Bell for me. While I'm fine ordering at the drive through window, eating in the restaurant has always felt a bit off - almost like I don't really belong.

Not sure it fits into my idea of irony. But to tell you the truth I've always had trouble distinguishing irony. Maybe I'm Irony challenged.

Anyway, I haven't been to Louisiana in quite a few years but I have been in the south since I've been vegan (oh wait, does Southern Florida still count as the south? Or it just a suburb of NYC? ).

I admit that there is a good possibility that living in Norhtern California, I could have altered perceptions about what is available in restaurants. But I can always find a vegan option in a restaurant. Even steak houses have salads. Most salads can be veganized. Although I admit that at some point it becomes ridiculous.

I'll have the Shrimp Louie. But hold the mayo and the seafood. For vegetarians, this is much easier. I'll have the Cobb without the meat.

On occasion, I've ordered stuff that is not on the menu. One time when hard-pressed at a Greek Pizzaria (What? you don't have them there?) I just got spaghetti with olive oil.

Again this might be a Nor Cal thing, but doesn't every hamburger place have a Beyond or Impossible Burger option?

Pizza places always have a vegetarian pizza. And if you are vegan you can just order the pizza without cheese.

Mexican restaurants are good choices too. most Mexican restaurants already have at least one vegetarian option on the menu, the vegetarian burrito. Just get it without cheese or sour cream. Fajitas are a good choice too.

For me, the best places are Asian Restaurants. Asian restaurants don't use butter or milk or cheese. Which makes things much simpler for vegans. And most of them have at least one tofu dish on the menu.
Um....I think much of what you expect IS a Nor Cal thing :rofl:
What are you left with if you order a Shrimp Louie without mayo and seafood?
I'm not even sure our Burger King still has Impossible burgers-and then you need to rely on the grill, and the bun :sigh:
Pizza places- is the dough vegan? The sauce?
I can't do Mexican- cause cilantro :fp:
Asian--most are very very hard to understand, both ways. So many things that can go wrong there, whether the broth, fish stuff, unless they "know" what vegan means....:shrug:
But then I so rarely eat out anyway. We do now have a pizza place that does vegan well! Most won't consider cheese a topping to be subbed- it's standard, so if you leave it off you don't get another choice, My new place, PizzaRoto, has one price for a large pizza and unlimited veggies!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou