Intolerance to meat?

hoggy522

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the vegan lifestyle. I became vegan before christmas last year and gave in after a month or so, when i begun eating meat again (mainly just chicken and fish) i still bought diary free products and kept off. Reason being is i feel i am intolerant to some sort of food, i used to get frequent diarrhea, stomach cramps and a very unhappy noisey stomach. So anyway i stuck to the no diary but still this was happening, i missed being totally vegan as i found i was experimenting with my cooking a lot more and ate a lot more healthier so i decided to give it another go. So here i am and funny thing is my problems with my stomach and bowels has seemed to of dissapeared so im kinda miffed at what food i was intolerant to. Is it a thing that you can be intolerant to meat?
I'd like to point out too that even whilst i was back on meat i tended to buy gluten free products too.

Any thoughts on this?

There is a meat allergy - but it very rare. (1)
There is also Fabry disease - which is also very rare but also serious. (2)
Then there is the Alpha Gal syndrome which is also very rare. And spread by the Lone Star Tick. (3)There is a RadioLab podcast on Alpha Gal which is fascinating .

You might be able to diagnose yourself by keeping a log book or food diary. On the left side of the paper record what you eat and on the right side of the paper how you feel. You might be able to spot the correlations yourself. Or you might have your GP refer you to an "allergy doctor". They have a skin ***** test that is fast and easy. Those tests usuallly just test for the most common food allergies. In fact, they even sell them online now. BTW, skin ***** tests are not that accurate.

So if you have a rarer allergy you may need more tests.

Gluten free is more of a marketing ploy. Most people with Celiac disease know that they have it. But a slight gluten intolerance may be harder to figure out. In one study they asked 100 people if they had a gluten intolerance and then tested for it. About half the people who thought they had one didn't but surprisingly about half the people who said they didn't have one - did. But then the test itself is pretty inaccurate so the results might be more revealing about the test than people. If you think you have a gluten sensitivity you should see a doctor.

1. Is It Possible to Be Allergic to Meat or Chicken?

2. Fabry Disease | Managing Fabry Disease

3. Acquired Red Meat Allergy - Epidemiology

Thank you for your reply, I didnt know about this so thanks for the information :)

Reactions: Lou
So here i am and funny thing is my problems with my stomach and bowels has seemed to of dissapeared so im kinda miffed at what food i was intolerant to. Is it a thing that you can be intolerant to meat?
I think we can eliminate a dairy or gluten intolerance.
but since you feel better when not eating meat, maybe not even worry about it. Just don't eat meat.

Kindof reminds me of the old joke: Guy goes go into a doctor and says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this" and the doc says, "stop doing that"

Since the meat allergies are so rare its probably is more like a plant based diet agrees with you. so just use that as one more reason to stay vegan.

They have a skin ***** test that is fast and easy. Those tests usuallly just test for the most common food allergies. In fact, they even sell them online now. BTW, skin ***** tests are not that accurate.
[Beavis imitation] huh huh huh huh You said "*****" [/ Beavis imitation]

Welcome to the board, @hoggy522 !

Hi all

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the vegan lifestyle. I became vegan before christmas last year and gave in after a month or so, when i begun eating meat again (mainly just chicken and fish) i still bought diary free products and kept off. Reason being is i feel i am intolerant to some sort of food, i used to get frequent diarrhea, stomach cramps and a very unhappy noisey stomach. So anyway i stuck to the no diary but still this was happening, i missed being totally vegan as i found i was experimenting with my cooking a lot more and ate a lot more healthier so i decided to give it another go. So here i am and funny thing is my problems with my stomach and bowels has seemed to of dissapeared so im kinda miffed at what food i was intolerant to. Is it a thing that you can be intolerant to meat?
I'd like to point out too that even whilst i was back on meat i tended to buy gluten free products too.

Any thoughts on this?
Hi hoggy,

Your physician can refer you to an allergist, who can diagnose whichever food allergies you have.

Reactions: hoggy522 and Lou
Up above I mentioned a RadioLab podcast on AlphaGal. I should also mention the the woman who was the subject of the podcast had to give up eating meat to survive, was part of another RadioLab podcast about AlphaGal. In the second podcast, she was interviewed and had adopted veganism as a lifestyle.

Hi all

Any thoughts on this?
Good for you for practicing discipline... What was your first, second and third step that helped you stop
Acknowledgment is great motivation, so by telling it all like it is you free yourself and gain new strength.

just going to recommend the RadioLab podcasts to you. the first one is great. the second one is even better. but you almost have to listen to the first one first. :)

just going to recommend the RadioLab podcasts to you. the first one is great. the second one is even better. but you almost have to listen to the first one first. :)
I'm not finding this on Radio Lab

Welcome!
I also had stomach problems back when I ate animals.
Hopefully vegan lifestyle helps you.

Reactions: Brian W