Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am not sure if we have had many postings here about Instant Pots but I am finding it more and more helpful while sticking to a WFPB lifestyle.

The other day my spouse texted to say he was coming home early from work and wondered if I could throw on some pea soup. I was busy and so didn't think I could do it in time and then thought "what the heck, why not". It took me all of 5 minutes to chop a couple of onions, garlic, carrots and celery and throw them in the pot on saute while I rinsed the split peas. Added the peas, bay leaves and water and put it on high pressure for 22 minutes, just the time it took to go and pick him up at the GO station and when the pressure released I added a tablespoon of miso, removed the bay leaves, and it was ready to eat.

My other favourite is cooking lots of whole potatoes at once and keeping leftovers in the fridge for oven baked fries or wedges. Last night I added carrots and parnips to the potato pile and they were perfect. 13 minutes.

I have also been using it for beans and do add more minutes than most recipes state and love not having to remember, ahead of time, to soak them.

When I have something I want to make I usually just google the ingredients I have, add Instant Pot at the end, and see what comes up. Then I take the suggestions and make it my own.

Does anyone else here use a Instant Pot and what are your favourites?

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
I don't have one, but I have been eyeing one for awhile. I am glad you posted this!

Reactions: Emma JC
I was all ready to order one. But then I realized how close to Black Friday and Cyber Monday we were and put it off.

Unless I see a better deal by Tuesday I will order the
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt from Amazon for $70.

I seriously considered the smaller one. I'm just a one-person household. but I kept hearing people say that the smaller one is too small. and I like leftovers. and it's not that much more money.

In preparation for getting one I went to the library and I now have the book, The Ulitmate Vegan Cookbook For Your InstantPot. Totally recommend it.

I'm also considering an Air Fryer. but I haven't made up my mind yet. I created an Air Fryer Thread. So if anyone wants to contribute to that thread it would be appreciated
https://veganforum.org/threads/air-fryer.3244/#post-17157

Counter space and cupboard space is very valuable in my smallish kitchen. I can rationalize the InstantPot cause it will replace my crockpot and my rice cooker. And I can also justify replacing them. the rice cooker's non-stick coating is starting to wear off (it's really old) and I bought the crock pot to replace a giant one I had gotten as a gift. and screwed up and got one that is too small.

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
@Lou - I LOVE my 3 qt IP! I use it all the time for almost everything. I love its small size. I also have a small kitchen and it's either just me or me and my son I'm cooking for. That being said, I would grab that deal on the 6 qt on Amazon if you can. I want one for times when I am asked to bring a meal for a potluck. The 3 qt is def too small for that. But seriously, I really love my small IP. I know lots of people who have more than one IP for different things, and the 3qt size is perfect for a small kitchen :)

As for the air fryer, I thought about it, but I can just as easily roast veggies in the oven/toaster oven. It's just not a need ATM.

Reactions: betiPT
So I finally pulled the trigger and my InstatPot arrived yesterday. I went and got the 6 quart. I was tempted to get the 3 quarts but almost everyone I consulted said to get the 6 qt. I'm still not convinced I would be better off with the 3 qt but time will tell.

The 6 quart is not that much bigger - footprint wise. and I got a good deal on it, so we'll see.

I've only used it once. The set up was not difficult at all. but I'm the kind of guy who reads the whole manual. and the manual/user guide was not that great. Maybe a C+. Better than adequate but that is about it. The recipe book is really thin. The best thing was the one page Cooking Time Guides.

So I made this recipe called 5- minute split pea soup. Normally when I make split pea soup it takes like 2 hours.

It took me over 15 minutes to chop the ingredients. But the recipe did say I could save time by just putting the ingredients in whole and blending the soup afterwards. I may try that next time.
It took over 20 minutes for the preheating phase.
5 minutes to cook.
Then I let it "naturally release" pressure. I didn't have to do that - I was just curious to see how long it took. It took another 20 minutes.

So it didn't save that much time. But the soup was great.

The real test will be beans. which was the reason I got it.

oh, and if you are interested. Here is the recipe for 5-minute split pea soup.

http://www.brighde.com/blog/5-minute-split-pea-soup-recipe-vegan-wfpb-instant-pot

Reactions: Emma JC

So it didn't save that much time. But the soup was great.

The real test will be beans. which was the reason I got it....

My IP has replaced my crockpot and my rice cooker. With the tiny kitchen I have, it ends up saving space. And the real time saver for me is in the ability to set it and forget it. A crockpot takes way too long, and I don't have time to tend to something on the stove (more likely, I'll forget about it and burn it - that's just how I roll, lol). The IP saves me from that hassle so it's definitely worth it in that respect. Plus, you can program it to start at a certain time, and it will keep stuff warm for you. Bonus. Another way it saves time is in that I don't soak my beans when I use it. It's just not necessary.

I have never used any of the pre-programmed settings. I always just look up a recipe and follow the directions for using it in manual/high pressure mode. I feel more in control. Quinoa cooks in 1 minute (1 c. quinoa + 1 c water - set it for 1 minute and let it naturally release for at least 10 minutes. Comes out *perfect* and it never sticks like it would in my rice cooker. ...Black beans: 1 c. beans + 3 c. water (plus whatever spices but no salt - I use onion, garlic, cumin, and a bay leaf) - set it for 25 mins., natural release. ....Garbanzo beans - same ratio/method - 20 mins. ...Broccoli cooks in 0 minutes (yes, you set it to zero minutes), then quick release. ...Potatoes - anywhere from 5-13 minutes, depending on the size.

Saving me the stress of not burning/wasting food/pans, and being able to walk away and forget about it is equal to a time savings, IMO.

I know several people who have more than one IP. I'll definitely acquire the 6 qt one eventually. :)

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
congrats, Lou, I am sure you will enjoy the IP

That soup recipe looks great other than time for cooking, I cooked my split pea soup for 22 minutes....

I like the idea of adding in nutritional yeast at the end, I have been adding a tablespoon of miso. Maybe I will do both.

Again, with beans, I go much longer than in many recipes, usually 45 - 55 minutes as I do not enjoy beans that are not cooked thoroughly.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and TofuRobot
I tried making rice on the "automatic setting". it didn't work that well.
Last night I tried again. Did some research and found a great article on making rice in the instant pot and followed the directions. It came out great. I've bookmarked the article and it will be used as a reference from now on. Although to give the Instant Pot people some credit - they have almost the same directions in their quick reference guide.

Here is the article.
https://greenhealthycooking.com/instant-pot-rice/

Tonight I want to try Cuban black beans. Some recipes say you should soak the beans for 8 hours. and some say you don't.

any opinions?

Good you resolved it - I have a rice cooker so have not tried it in the Instant Pot.

Emma JC

Tonight I want to try Cuban black beans. Some recipes say you should soak the beans for 8 hours. and some say you don't.

any opinions?

I would soak them from now until the time to cook them and I would add a few minutes to whatever cooking time is suggested.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
My cupboard space is limited. and my rice cooker is old and the nonstick coating is wearing out. I had to be able to replace the rice cooker with the Instant Pot in order to justify the purchase. Getting rid of a crock pot that is too small, too.

I tried making rice on the "automatic setting". it didn't work that well.
Last night I tried again. Did some research and found a great article on making rice in the instant pot and followed the directions. It came out great. I've bookmarked the article and it will be used as a reference from now on. Although to give the Instant Pot people some credit - they have almost the same directions in their quick reference guide.

Here is the article.
https://greenhealthycooking.com/instant-pot-rice/
Yeah, I've never used any of the automatic settings for anything.

And I make black bean soup a lot, too. Have never soaked the beans.

Reactions: Lou
The Cuban black beans came out fine. and way easier than my stove top method. The crockpot I have is too small so I haven't made Cuban black beans in the crockpot - but I think this was easier - and way faster.

I did not like the flavour of these as much as the recipe I used to use. The only thing that was different was that the onions, peppers and garlic got sauteed first in the stove top recipe. I suppose I could still do that. But I have enough CBBs in the frig and freezer so I won't be making that for a while. But I think I'll use a different recipe next time.

Next up is some regular black beans for salads and stuff. Then I want to do something with lentils.

I think i may have been better off with the smaller Instant Pot. I don't think I will ever use the extra room in this one. and I just discovered it does not fit in its assigned cabinet. but maybe the smaller one wouldn't either. I know I checked before I made the purchase - I must have done it wrong. But it's ok for now - I just put some stuff that was on the counter in the "assigned" cabinet. and the instant pot gets to stay on the counter.

The only thing that was different was that the onions, peppers and garlic got sauteed first in the stove top recipe. I suppose I could still do tha
You can totally do that in the IP. Just heat up the inner pot and saute before you add the water/broth and the rest of the ingredients. I've never done it but it seems pretty simple to do

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I don't know If I posted this somewhere else, but .....
For Chrismas, my sisters got me a really really nice Immersion Blender. This was something I didn't even know I needed. I sort of have to watch out for kitchen gadgets - I'm pretty low on cabinet space as it is. but this was OK, it also has a food processor attachment so I was able to donate my food processor and keep this instead.

Anyway, what is cool about it is that today I made my 5 Minute Split Pea Soup in my InstantPot and didn't cut up anything. Just ran the immersion blender at the end. The split pea soup isn't chunky - it's creamy. But it tastes just as good.

The immersion blender and instant pot will also come in handy next time I make Butternut Squash Soup.

Reactions: Emma JC and hopeful
I had at least 3 people tell me to get the big one. I bought the 6 qt and I am almost positive I should have gotten the 3 qt. So far all the recipes I have made would have fit in the 3 quart. I'm kicking myself a little because I should have thought it thru longer/better. I'm just a single guy and I think the 3 quart one would have satisfied all my "batch" cooking needs.
I also spoke to someone who said the wished they had gotten the bigger one and I suggested maybe a trade. but it turns out they have the 6 and now want an 8.
The 3 quart was just a little cheaper - and I'm not even sure it would have fit in my cupboard. I thought the 6 quart would - but it doesn't. So now it lives on the counter. And the stuff on the counter went in the cupboard. So really no big deal. but still...

Anyway I got the InstantPot brand. I didn't really look at any of the other brands. I got the 6 quart duo. I picked the duo for its extra versatility. Although I'm not sure I will actually take full advantage of it. And the 6 quart duo seemed to have the best deals.
This is the deal I got.
https://www.today.com/food/here-are-best-instant-pot-deals-cyber-monday-t143795
Not sure you can still get such a good deal.