Indian Summer associations

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When you think of the term Indian Summer, what sort of associations do you get? (Besides me, you can keep me out of the picture! :p )

Literally, I think of clear, blue skies, cold and crispy air, autumnal colours in the woods. I think of North America, but perhaps not so much the North America I've experienced first-hand, more an idealized version that exists in my mind and perhaps in certain movies. One with enormous, vast swathes of clean and undefiled lands, filled with forests and animals, with only very small human populations. I also think of the Native Americans or First Nations peoples, the "Indians". And I think of the mythological thunderbirds. (Or were they real?!) And thunderbirds in Native American art.

I also think of a book or short story I read as a teenager. I think it was called Mamba, perhaps. It was set in New York city, something about a heat wave late in autumn and a poisonous snake that was brought there in a box by a sailor, and then escaped into Central Park. The rest of the story was less about the snake and more about the snake expert and others trying to find him after he'd bitten and killed some people.

Metaphorically, I think of something or someone that turns up after you've given up hope of it / them arriving. Late, but good!

Indian-Summer_Herbst_Alaska_Denali-e1381494408177.jpg

thunderbird.gif

Reactions: ledboots
I think of the brief period we get in Southern California in late October or early November when it's very warm and dry after it's been cool and drizzly for a while following the end of summer. It usually lasts for about three days and annoys me because I'm happy to say goodbye to summer and enjoy the cooler temperatures, and suddenly it's like summer again.

Growing up in New England, there are some beautiful autumn days that have a warm sun, have beautiful foliage, and a sky as blue as a cornflower. We called them Indian Summer. :)

8a23f45512b9321988e94a71b399cc54.jpg

2b3e885fd5299b9ed9d66c2fc6b0dcfa.jpg

Growing up in New England, there are some beautiful autumn days that have a warm sun, have beautiful foliage, and a sky as blue as a cornflower. We called them Indian Summer. :)

8a23f45512b9321988e94a71b399cc54.jpg

2b3e885fd5299b9ed9d66c2fc6b0dcfa.jpg
This. Having Indian summer days was such a treat, that little taste of summer after the fact.

Reactions: ledboots