Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi

Been vegan for a month now.

I noticed that I have lost weight.

My speed and endurance has increased.

Just floated effortlessly a series of stairs and the heart rate did not even get high and no heavy breathing at the top of the stairs.

Those of you that have just transitioned have you had the same outcomes like me?

Cheers

I felt better when I quit meat, even better after ditching dairy
The only thing that made a huge difference was going full on wfpb-no oil, no sugar
Regardless, I find it very hard to keep up

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hi

The no sugar is hard but I achieve it after I found I was eating two chocolate bars a day due to the sugar addition I had.

Realised that and it had to go.

I do not understand the no oils when Olive oil is plant based?

What is the reason and experience you have had?

Hi

The no sugar is hard but I achieve it after I found I was eating two chocolate bars a day due to the sugar addition I had.

Realised that and it had to go.

I do not understand the no oils when Olive oil is plant based?

What is the reason and experience you have had?
All the dark chocolate I eat is plant based
Sure, vegetable oil is vegan, sugar vegan--just not whole foods.
You can get all the fat you need from it's intact food.Nuts, seeds, avocado.....whole food has all the nutrients that work together.
As in the whole is more than the sum of it's parts

You might want to read the book Whole--or better yet the second book by Colin Campbell
Edit: oops.Whole is the second book, the China Study was his first!

Or even better--How Not to Diet by Dr Greger

Last edited:
I can relate to a speed and endurance increase although I have always suspected this happened mainly because I was also losing weight.

It wasn´t a big change anyway. I was quite healthy before.

Hi Jamie

Actual in the Netflix documentary they explain in detail that the animal protein and fats close up arteries, inflame them and effect other organs.

Vegan athletes have far more energy and endurance also.

It is called What is Health.

Cheers

Hello,

Hi Jamie

Actual in the Netflix documentary they explain in detail that the animal protein and fats close up arteries, inflame them and effect other organs.

Vegan athletes have far more energy and endurance also.

It is called What is Health.

Cheers

sorry for being off topic, but I really want to show the documentation you mentioned, and can't find it on my account.. is it still available?

Thank you very much in advance!

/Edit: found it - must have been a VPN issue..

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
Hi

Look at these links

How did you find the documentary?

Regards

I liked What the Health. Maybe not as much as Cowspiracy. But Cowspiracy being first had the benefit of novelty.

The first article was from Vox, which is very progressive and anti-factory farming. Their stance on veganism is more nuanced. Some would say balanced.
The author of the article is their contributing editor for de-bunking health claims. So it follows that she looks at What the Health thru a skeptic's lens.
Unfortunetly , Kip Anderson does not make this hard for her to do. His films DO present only one point of view. Personally I have no issue with that. In fact, my opinion is that is exactly what his job is. When you are trying to be convincing there is little benefit to your argument in presenting the other POV. (except to tear it apart later)
Kip is also guilty of cherry picking. Again I have no problem with that. The author of the article maybe expected a more balanced documentary. But the documentary has a purpose and that is to get people to eat a WFPB diet.
The author accuses Kip of misreporting. And I think that might be going a bit too far. if a study by WHO says that processed meat is a carcinogen, is it misreporting to say eating meat is like smoking?
All in all I found that the article was well written and researched. And not biased. Kip is biased and she points that out. but I am biased, too. And will like and defend people and docs that share my biases.

The second link is to an ad for What the Health.

The third link is to a organization that promotes veganism. but its fun to see them tear apart a dairy industry shill.

Reactions: Tyll
I watched the movie at the weekend and really liked it. If I hadn't stopped anyway consuming dairy, it would have been so at the latest after this film.

It is shocking to realize what I've done to my body for nearly all my life. On the other hand, it is fascinating how the body regenerates when you give it the chance to do so.

@vgrooveman: I stopped reading the first article, because I think the author don't get the whole picture and is very biased. The author downplays the risk and is playing with numbers, underestimating thereby the effects of the not plant-based diet, which were not quantified with numbers (as you mentioned: closed up arteries, increased inflammations, ...).

I liked What the Health. Maybe not as much as Cowspiracy. But Cowspiracy being first had the benefit of novelty.

The first article was from Vox, which is very progressive and anti-factory farming. Their stance on veganism is more nuanced. Some would say balanced.
The author of the article is their contributing editor for de-bunking health claims. So it follows that she looks at What the Health thru a skeptic's lens.
Unfortunetly , Kip Anderson does not make this hard for her to do. His films DO present only one point of view. Personally I have no issue with that. In fact, my opinion is that is exactly what his job is. When you are trying to be convincing there is little benefit to your argument in presenting the other POV. (except to tear it apart later)
Kip is also guilty of cherry picking. Again I have no problem with that. The author of the article maybe expected a more balanced documentary. But the documentary has a purpose and that is to get people to eat a WFPB diet.
The author accuses Kip of misreporting. And I think that might be going a bit too far. if a study by WHO says that processed meat is a carcinogen, is it misreporting to say eating meat is like smoking?
All in all I found that the article was well written and researched. And not biased. Kip is biased and she points that out. but I am biased, too. And will like and defend people and docs that share my biases.

The second link is to an ad for What the Health.

The third link is to a organization that promotes veganism. but its fun to see them tear apart a dairy industry shill.

Thank you for your summary of the links provided!

Maybe I'm too biased myself to properly judge the first article, but it really felt like a pro dairy and meat position to me and not like a neutral one.

Thank you for your summary of the links provided!

Maybe I'm too biased myself to properly judge the first article, but it really felt like a pro dairy and meat position to me and not like a neutral one.
I am biased too.
The thing is that I consider Vox a great news source. I subscribe to one of their newsletters and one of their podcasts.

I didn't realize how much energy I had until I started waking up at 5am. Lol. Now its gone. I feel like a zombie.