US I'm pretty sure everyone here is illiterate

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure everyone here is illiterate. But don't take my word for it. In 1964, Louisiana didn't want "illiterate" people to vote. So they made a simple test to give to anyone who couldn't prove having a 5th grade education.

Here is that test.

(Oh, and I'm pretty sure I failed as well.)

I'm pretty sure everyone here is illiterate. But don't take my word for it. In 1964, Louisiana didn't want "illiterate" people to vote. So they made a simple test to give to anyone who couldn't prove having a 5th grade education.

Here is that test.

(Oh, and I'm pretty sure I failed as well.)
Untitled.jpg

well apart from the obviously impossible ones, I would have failed this one.

^- Obviously you're illiterate. :p

Unless you're white. Then I suspect you'd get a free pass.

(America, less than 5 decades ago. Damn, I'm disappointed in you!)

I think I could give it a good go! But you don't get points for trying... "There was little room for befuddlement. The test was to be taken in 10 minutes flat, and a single wrong answer meant a failing grade." :eek: Harsh.

Are there the answers anywhere?

I think I could give it a good go! But you don't get points for trying... "There was little room for befuddlement. The test was to be taken in 10 minutes flat, and a single wrong answer meant a failing grade." :eek: Harsh.

It doesn't matter about the answers. The test is intentionally worded so ambiguously that even a "right" answer could be declared the wrong answer.

I don't think so, according to this:
http://www.crmvet.org/info/la-test.htm

it seems to imply that they were written so one could be disqualified depending on how the Registrar of Voters interpreted the question and answer. Which almost always depended on the skin color of the person taking the test.

I'm disappointed and feel a bit ashamed that this kind of stuff ever happened.

it seems to imply that they were written so one could be disqualified depending on how the Registrar of Voters interpreted the question and answer. Which almost always depended on the skin color of the person taking the test.

Ah I see, I was curious if there was a set of what would be considered correct answers... but that would defeat the point. It would be interesting to see a set of "correct" test papers.